Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

If you got divorced at some point, what did you do with your wedding/engagement rings?

(132 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Mon 27-Jul-20 21:48:39

I'm wondering what to do with mine? They have sentimental value but what's the point of them just sitting in the drawer? I don't want my dc to use them, I'd rather they had their own fresh start. Flogging them for scrap feels heartless. What did you do with yours?

tinaf1 Fri 04-Sep-20 14:19:44

After he said he wanted them back , which was a massive cheek seeing as I bought and paid for them I pawned them

trustgone4sure Fri 04-Sep-20 14:34:37

Pawned wedding /engagement/eternity ring and had a weekend away.

maryrose54 Fri 04-Sep-20 15:46:46

I sold them both. The break up had been my fault but he didn't ask for them back and I had nobody to pass them on to. We were both young and had married too soon, at least on my part. I wasn't mature enough and had just married as I wanted to leave home. When my mother ran away and left us we found her rings in her jewellery box. Can't remember what happened to them.

Alexa Fri 04-Sep-20 16:43:21

I sold them for the gold value

gulligranny Fri 04-Sep-20 18:14:22

When I got divorced (way back in 1989) I got depressed. Went to the doctor to request something to lift my mood; he waggled his eyebrows and said "What you need, my dear, isn't available on the NHS".

Made me laugh so much that on the way home I dropped my wedding ring down a drain and never looked back! And shortly afterwards I got a toy-boy - but that's another story ..

Barmeyoldbat Fri 04-Sep-20 18:21:04

Only had a wedding ring and I threw it out along with him, his clothes and his belongings. Best thing I ever did.