Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone planning outside exercise today?

(50 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 07-Aug-20 09:43:06

It's already 26C in London and said to rise to 34 later!

Friend and I did an hour's walk at 08.00 when it was a mere 19C and going for a pedicure later so another 30 minutes walking - and that will be it I think sunshine

ladymuck Fri 07-Aug-20 09:47:08

I won't be going out while this hot spell continues. I don't like high temperatures or the harsh feel of the sun.
On Tuesday I had an extremely pleasant walk in my local park. I shall have to feed on that until the weather changes.

shysal Fri 07-Aug-20 09:59:53

I took my usual daily walk at first light, and then watered my 100 odd garden pots. I expect I shall stay indoors for the rest of the day, I am already wearing my neck fan. I have a new jigsaw puzzle to start.

J52 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:11:39

I’m playing tennis in an hours time !

JessK Fri 07-Aug-20 10:19:45

Went out for a walk around 8am this morning.
Good luck with the tennis J52

Teetime Fri 07-Aug-20 10:24:10

Yes a walk into town through the park to a nice cool café for lunch. Glad I decided not to play golf today.

MellowYellow Fri 07-Aug-20 10:24:25

Absolutely not ha ha!!!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:26:45

We are on the coast so you’d expect it to be a bit cooler but 26c at the moment.

I’ve just come in from the garden. That’s it.

The best times this weather are early morning. The evenings are still hot.

Oopsminty Fri 07-Aug-20 10:30:02

I'll be walking my dog at about 9pm this evening

Apart from that I'm inside

Or in the garden when/if the sun comes out

Teacheranne Fri 07-Aug-20 11:00:36

Not everyone lives in the South, here in the NW, we are still waiting for the heat wave! It should be warmer today but so far it is still cloudy. I get fed up listening to the weather forecast on the TV, it's so biased towards the south of the country with photos of people sunbathing and complaining - send the sun our way please! We will send you some of our rain if you like.

Witzend Fri 07-Aug-20 11:04:49

I will probably go for my usual walk late, around 9 pm.

tanith Fri 07-Aug-20 11:08:38

I went out for a walk at 7 this morning, I did some watering and a bit of deadheading it’s now 28* in my part of London . I’m about to shower then I think I’ll be inside till it cools down this evening.

Bluebellwould Fri 07-Aug-20 11:09:39

Oops minty, I’m near Heathrow how about a house swop? It’s boiling hot, I’m putting cardboard in my south facing windows to keep out the sun. Might have to resort to the wet T-shirt to keep cool later. Forecast 36 degrees!

craftyone Fri 07-Aug-20 11:10:42

I would love to do a swap teacheranne, give me rain and cool any day

Oopsminty Fri 07-Aug-20 11:10:43

Hi, Teacheranne!

I'm in the NW as well. It's very grey outside. But rather muggy.

Hopefully we will see some sunshine soon!

Oopsminty Fri 07-Aug-20 11:12:56

Bluebellwould

Oops minty, I’m near Heathrow how about a house swop? It’s boiling hot, I’m putting cardboard in my south facing windows to keep out the sun. Might have to resort to the wet T-shirt to keep cool later. Forecast 36 degrees!

Yes please, Bluebellwould!

I am 3 minutes from the beach, so it is always slightly cooler and we have lovely woods as well!

I just want some sun!

henetha Fri 07-Aug-20 11:13:25

I've got to deliver a birthday gift to a friend a few miles away,
(I shan't go in her house, just the garden), so while I'm there I might take a walk in a nearby park.
But it's very hot today, so maybe not....

lemongrove Fri 07-Aug-20 11:14:11

Hot here, totally blue sky, and pleasant sitting out in the shade but could be 30C very soon.
No exercise planned beyond moving a glass of something cold to my lips now and again.

Oldbat1 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:15:36

Northumberland is cloudy but warmish- looks like it could rain any time. No wind today. Hope we see sun at some point at least.

boheminan Fri 07-Aug-20 11:21:10

I don't know what the temperature is outside at the moment but it's hot enough to not want to be out in it. I'm keenly aware I need to exercise, so have enlisted my 2 flights of stairs into helping, and walked up and down them twice instead of my usual cycle ride into town, but I was very puffed out after.

As this is new to me (walking upstairs for exercise purposes rather than to get to the bathroom) I just wonder if anyone else on GN has tried it, and if so, any tips?

Lucca Fri 07-Aug-20 11:28:40

J52

I’m playing tennis in an hours time !

Ditto. I’m in Yorkshire and it’s 25 now but not getting much hotter.

ExD Fri 07-Aug-20 11:29:06

It is 20c here and keeps throwing a heavy shower - so no, no exercise today. i don't have any stairs. And anyway, as I haven't had my regular steroid injections in my ankles walking is becoming impossible and I can see me having to invest in a wheelchair.
I wonder how much it costs the Met Office to publish the daily inaccurate forecasts of heatwaves in this area? They always look so smug when forecasting find sunny weather in the south with the 'chance' of the 'odd' shower in the north.
Parts of Lancaster were flooded a couple of days ago - forecast 'sunny with a chance of showers'.

BBbevan Fri 07-Aug-20 11:36:30

Warm here in SW Wales. We have been gardening since just after 8 this morning. We have just come in, so I think we have done enough exercise for today. Back out tomorrow ?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Aug-20 12:16:01

Just finished a PiYo class and then a legs, bums and tums in a studio with all windows and doors open, air conditioning on. With full sun streaming in, I am exhausted but have to shower and dress up toe friends birthday lunch in our local tea rooms garden.

(DD is here with GSs who are happily splashing and swimming I am so jealous ?)

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Aug-20 12:16:33

Oops it is 32 in the shade S E Essex!!???