Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone planning outside exercise today?

(51 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 07-Aug-20 09:43:06

It's already 26C in London and said to rise to 34 later!

Friend and I did an hour's walk at 08.00 when it was a mere 19C and going for a pedicure later so another 30 minutes walking - and that will be it I think sunshine

phoenix Fri 07-Aug-20 12:24:27

I've got a riding lesson booked for 2pm!

Oopsminty Fri 07-Aug-20 12:28:52

GrannyGravy13

Oops it is 32 in the shade S E Essex!!???

Good grief!

It's 22 here and cloudy

TerriBull Fri 07-Aug-20 12:31:56

I had a fairly early morning walk, that's all for today! I've just put washing outside it's unbearably hot, I'm on the edge of London, almost in Surrey. I don't really enjoy extreme heat any more.

Luckylegs Fri 07-Aug-20 12:37:55

You have my wholehearted support Teacheranne and ExD and anyone else in the north. It’s infuriating when the weather people say so smugly that the whole of the British Isles is going to have a heatwave with just an afterthought of the north may have the odd shower. I could scream! I’ve complained to the Met Office lots but they’re so convinced that nothing exists north past the Midlands that it doesn’t matter!

sf101 Fri 07-Aug-20 12:38:26

The back of my house is south facing so all the windows are shut, blinds and curtains drawn. Did a utube workout earlier with the fan on but not going out in it.

Iam64 Fri 07-Aug-20 13:12:10

Teacheranne and Ex D- I'm with you, here in the overcast north west, it is warm and muggy but definitely not the wonderful hot sunny day they're having in the South.
It's raining in Yorkshire (well it is at theSculpture Park)

crazyH Fri 07-Aug-20 13:20:33

All you ladies with so much energy !!! ?

Cabbie21 Fri 07-Aug-20 14:01:40

I am not leaving the house today.

OurKid1 Fri 07-Aug-20 14:08:05

32 degrees here in the SW, but cloudy. It's like being under a huge feather winter-weight duvet!

phoenix Fri 07-Aug-20 16:28:03

Phew! Even though my lesson was in the indoor arena it nearly finished me off!

Very bouncy horse, very hot, the hat have me a headache and my legs still feel a bit wobbly!

I do sometimes wonder why I've gone back to riding after so many years confused

phoenix Fri 07-Aug-20 16:29:21

OurKid1 I'm the SW too, but sunny here!

AGAA4 Fri 07-Aug-20 16:32:57

I went for a walk earlier much of it uphill so was hot and tired by the time I reached home and a cool shower.

mrswoo Fri 07-Aug-20 16:41:25

It was horribly muggy in the NE this morning when I went for a long walk - which for some annoying reason my Fitbit failed to recognise ? It’s not too bad now, still warm but not really sunny. It looks as if it could rain at any time.

Happygirl79 Fri 07-Aug-20 16:44:56

I had a prior engagement this morning so ventured out for my walk about 1 o'clock. I'm in the North East of England. Temperature was 26 degrees. I split my normal 10.000 steps between two walks resting with a cool drink at home halfway round
I always feel better after I have achieved my step goal for the day

Lucca Fri 07-Aug-20 16:50:52

It’s currently 27 in my part of Yorkshire and sunny. Three sets of tennis in mostly sun but with a very strange 5 minute shower at one point. Showered and changed and realised it’s still 70 minutes until chilled wine time........

TerriBull Fri 07-Aug-20 17:51:39

It has gone really cloudy here in the south east, very humid and still, I imagine there will be the mother and father of a thunder storm soon. I wish we had a lightning emoji!

Washerwoman Fri 07-Aug-20 18:16:10

I had long walk planned with a friend and our dogs. In the North but still very warm and I nearly cancelled.But we got up onto the moors and there was a lovely breeze and plenty of water in the streams and resevoirs so they could cool off.All absolutely shattered now though!

Nortsat Fri 07-Aug-20 18:51:06

I went for my walk this morning at about 11.00am ( I am based in east London ).
I walked to the local park and back and stayed in the shade, the whole time. It was far easier and more pleasant than I had imagined. ???

I am pleased to report that the sun has gone in now ... so it’s cooler for preparing supper. We will definitely eat in the garden, this evening ...

EightyPercentCocoaSolids Fri 07-Aug-20 19:40:24

I was back from a four mile walk by 9 am. Since then my only exercise has been moving the garden sprinkler round - only in the shady parts of the garden while it was so sunny.

BlueBelle Fri 07-Aug-20 20:04:14

32 on the beach Today so two swims In the sea for me today It was liverly

welbeck Fri 07-Aug-20 20:10:12

i've done mine:
hung out half load washing.
and brought it in again.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-Aug-20 20:25:43

The dog was desperate to go out at 2pm - he won’t go in the garden. So off we went stalking in the shade until the last bit home which meant walking in the shade where possible along the road and walking (for the dog) on very hot tarmac. He got slower and slower, even with lots of water, and eventually stopped and laid down in the shade.

We eventually got home at snails pace.

Have to rethink tomorrow.

Maggiemaybe Fri 07-Aug-20 20:36:40

Well my part of Yorkshire was certainly warm enough for me today, so I don’t envy anyone down South. I think it was around 27 degrees, so we had a pleasant socially distanced walk around DD1’s local park with the baby, seeing as we’re not allowed to sit in a garden together any more. Any hotter and it would have been uncomfortable.

With my Fabulous Fifties indoor workout this morning and the park walk I managed to clock up around 9000 steps, just enough to justify staying in my nice cool front room for the rest of the day. smile

Oopsminty Fri 07-Aug-20 20:40:03

Been out with the dog.

Very unpleasant. Muggy, cloudy and numerous midges.

But the dog's happy now

Iam64 Fri 07-Aug-20 21:36:42

Phoenix, please ride for as long as you can. RA forced me to stop in my fifties. I still miss everything about being around horses, wonderful animals

It remained largely cloudy, muggy and disappointing here in my but of the north west.