Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Have you ever felt a 'haunted' resonance from an item in your home?

(121 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Fri 14-Aug-20 10:30:36

This is the most bizarre experience for me. I have this very pretty Staffordshire vase I bought at a vintage fair. But every time I look at it I get a cold feeling. It's like the vase isn't happy. Such a weird thing to say. I've never had this with anything else in my house. I've tried moving it around, putting it in different positions but the feeling doesn't go away. It's like it exudes unhappiness. I'm going to have to get rid of it. Have you ever had an experience like this?

ladymuck Fri 14-Aug-20 10:48:01

I bought a second-hand ring and feel very uncomfortable when I wear it. I'm presuming that the previous owner had bad experiences and the vibrations are embedded in her jewellery.

ginny Fri 14-Aug-20 11:52:16

Not in my home but on a route we travel about three times a year there is a row of old cottages.
Each time I pass them I can’t bear to look at them and feel very uneasy .

Kate1949 Fri 14-Aug-20 11:54:26

Not an item but we lived in a flat once that was definitely haunted.

quizqueen Fri 14-Aug-20 11:55:45

A Honda car, I used to own, used to 'moo' for a while as the engine was cooling down, so it must have been a cow in a former life. No other car, I've ever owned, has ever done that.

MissAdventure Fri 14-Aug-20 11:57:21

Oh, how interesting!
smile

Baggs Fri 14-Aug-20 12:21:37

Not an item but when we moved into our current house I met someone who had grown up here and said that she thought that the house was haunted by her grandfather who had died here. I thought nothing of it but a plumber working in the cellar came up very white-faced saying he thought he'd seen a ghost. I breezily said, "Oh, that'll have been the ghost of Uncle Willie," and then, when his face went even whiter, thought "Oops!"

Never encountered anyone who believed in ghosts before ?

MerylStreep Fri 14-Aug-20 14:35:40

Baggs
I believe in ghosts because I've seen 2. One was human, the late father of my then boyfriend and the second was a cat.
One place we lived was quite frightening at times with the noises and at one time the whole room just went pure white in a flash, like millions of flash bulbs going off.

Daisymae Fri 14-Aug-20 16:17:51

The tree was a ballerina - main trunk pruned - when I bought it, but I have never pruned it and it's quite well behaved.

Daisymae Fri 14-Aug-20 16:18:38

Oops!

Bathsheba Fri 14-Aug-20 16:42:49

Daisymae

The tree was a ballerina - main trunk pruned - when I bought it, but I have never pruned it and it's quite well behaved.

I wish I knew which thread this was supposed to be on - I'm quite intrigued to know what it's all about! smile

Chewbacca Fri 14-Aug-20 16:47:36

The tree was a ballerina

In a previous life perhaps?

MissAdventure Fri 14-Aug-20 16:55:36

A well behaved, dancing tree.
It sounds lovely smile

lemongrove Fri 14-Aug-20 19:30:23

The singing ringing tree?

To answer the OP, no have never encountered an object that I felt uncomfortable having around.
Certain houses, buildings though, do often have vibes although I haven’t encountered anything more than that.

baggs the first thing a neighbour did after we moved here, having invited her for a coffee, was to eagerly tell me that a previous owner had died suddenly, exactly where I was sitting. I said ‘cheers, thanks for that information’ and she went very red.It was a natural death, nothing sinister and apparently his wife was here who called an ambulance ( too late).It doesn’t bother me (though neighbours should keep their mouths closed) and in any case my house was built on the original site of the old ( extremely old) site where medieval cottages used to be, so there would have been hundreds of deaths within this space, since most people died at home then.
There are no unpleasant feelings, it feels a happy home, but just now and then, in one room only there is a scent of pipe smoke.You can go into the room and it’s obvious, go out again, and wait a few minutes, then go in again and it’s gone completely.We don’t smoke anything at all, and neither do our families or any of our guests ( I don’t know anyone who does smoke, thinking about it.)

GagaJo Fri 14-Aug-20 19:40:40

I’ve lived in a couple of weird houses. One in particular really affected me. We had to move.

I’m not a fan of the super natural / spiritualism / new age stuff. Just know that house made me feel really bad.

crazyH Fri 14-Aug-20 19:53:58

Yesterday I found a small heart-shape rock/stone in my plant pot and it had like an inscription on it , in black ink - how it got there I’ll never know - today is my bday so I think one of my loved ones left a bday card/stone for me ?

lemongrove Fri 14-Aug-20 20:02:57

There’s a fad for leaving painted stones with messages on them ( it’s rather nice) our DGC do this all the time.
Happy Birthday though crazyH hope you treated yourself?

Bellanonna Fri 14-Aug-20 20:33:03

Belated Happy Birthday, Crazy !

Chewbacca Fri 14-Aug-20 20:36:14

Happy birthday CrazyH ?

Yellowmellow Sun 16-Aug-20 09:14:11

I was sent a 'lockdown' box and the person did house clearance. One of the items l believe came from this. I never felt comfortable having this item in my house. In the end l got rid of it. I will never know why but it wasnt giving me good vibes

spabbygirl Sun 16-Aug-20 09:14:30

How lovely crazyH, happy birthday! My ex worked for a removals company and the owner of the business was a very clever & astute person, they bought an old antique mirror in the 80's and put it in the cellar. The owner went up to it and saw over his shoulder the image of an old woman looking straight at him. He was horrified and smashed the mirror up, which I thought was quite a shame. He was not a person who would imagine these sorts of things.

TerryM Sun 16-Aug-20 09:23:43

Two houses that we were looking at buying. Both just had major cold spots in them . One would have been a wonderful buy but I just flatly refused
Fremantle Jail in western Australia. The top level was cold and feelings of lots of youths there . Alcatraz on the other hand...no creeping feelings at all

Nagmad2016 Sun 16-Aug-20 09:27:01

We had a few unexplained events at a house we used to live in and the previous owner later said that she thought it was haunted. I inadvertently mentioned this to some very interested buyers, just to make it sound a bit special and seal the deal, as it were. You guessed it, agent rang the next day and said that the interested party had experienced ghostly events in the past and that he was worried that the ghost may be following......no sale. Best keep these things to yourself.

Gelisajams Sun 16-Aug-20 09:32:46

I bought a Celtic pendant and associated that with bad luck! Everything that could go wrong went wrong and I sensed It was the pendant! I sent it back to the shop I bought it from and said no I didn’t want a refund I just didn’t want the pendant anymore.
My suspicion of it probably came from tails from my mother who believed a ‘lucky’ pixie she had bought on holiday brought bad luck!

Coconut Sun 16-Aug-20 09:34:09

I have always felt a “presence” in this big old house we live in, didn’t mention it to anyone, but this was confirmed when my small GS told us that a lady goes in his bedroom sometimes with a white bag ! He was totally nonplussed with this !
Last week my daughters work colleague visited, Jo, and she often sees and hears unexplainable things. We were sitting in the garden and spoke about a friend of mine who was brutally killed in February. She asked me if my friend had been a petite blonde lady, I said yes, and she said she is standing right behind you ! I became upset then felt this weird pressure on my shoulders, and Jo then said, she is now hugging you and saying what a dear friend you’ve always been. Jo also said there’s another lady here, with a white bag ! And she used to live here !
Many, many unexplained things in this world.