Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Have you ever felt a 'haunted' resonance from an item in your home?

(122 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Fri 14-Aug-20 10:30:36

This is the most bizarre experience for me. I have this very pretty Staffordshire vase I bought at a vintage fair. But every time I look at it I get a cold feeling. It's like the vase isn't happy. Such a weird thing to say. I've never had this with anything else in my house. I've tried moving it around, putting it in different positions but the feeling doesn't go away. It's like it exudes unhappiness. I'm going to have to get rid of it. Have you ever had an experience like this?

Witzend Mon 17-Aug-20 08:19:43

Goodness, @EilaRose, I don’t think I could have lived with that for two years!
I wonder whether he did go and visit his wife? And equally, had she moved to get away from him??

Reminded me of the case of a friend’s sister, who bought a house very cheaply (!) after which she soon became aware of a ‘presence’ in her bedroom every morning after her husband had gone very early to work.

The presence was non threatening but gradually became much stronger - she was certain that it was a he, and ‘he’ was sitting on the end of the bed, and gradually moving closer.

The person they finally asked in to investigate, said simply that his name was Albert and he was an old soldier. She asked him to leave - and he went.

Nortsat Mon 17-Aug-20 09:08:43

How funny ... I was writing quite a lengthy post about seeing my mother in law, many years after she died ... and my post disappeared...

barbaranrod Mon 17-Aug-20 09:31:15

when my husband and i were looking for a house ,we went to see a particularly pretty house ,and looking from the outside it looked perfect ,BUT when i got to the front door ,it was awful ,the agent opened the door and entered ,but i could not get past the door something stopped me ,the feeling of dread and nasty was all around ,,.really strange because it would have been in a perfect spot ,,after we moved away from it, it was if nothing had happened ,,anyway whoever bought it knocked it down and rebuilt ,so perhaps i was not the only one who noticed such dreadful feelings

Furret Mon 17-Aug-20 09:46:26

My toddler grandson had a favourite jigsaw puzzle he played with at our house. It was very basic. Six pieces each slotting into its own cut-out. Each piece was a musical instrument. When slotted in it played the sound of that instrument. His favourite was the trumpet.

After he died tragically we often heard the sound of the trumpet coming from his toy box.

jools1903 Mon 17-Aug-20 11:16:16

I lost my partner nearly 10 years ago and my lovely Mum 6 years ago. When Mum died my two Bichon Frise would sit and stare at a corner of my lounge (something they had never done before) and also bark at a place behind the settee (there was a space and console table behind it). Mum had never been to that house as she became ill soon after I moved in. I’m absolutely positive it was Mum looking after me.
Another night - January 2nd last year - I’d had an awful row with my 23 year old twins as they were bickering non stop over Christmas and New Year so much so that I was really stressed. I went to bed and fell asleep but during the night the right hand side of my bed dipped like someone was sitting on it and at the same time the duvet to the left of me crackled (cotton) and lifted up as though someone was getting into bed with me! I’d like to think it was my Mum and Tony who’d come to watch over me during such a stressful time.

EilaRose Mon 17-Aug-20 12:13:11

Witzend Funny you should ask because I remembered the ex-neighbour also said his wife had recently been diagnosed with a terminal illness, which seemed to be the catalyst for moving to a smaller house.

When searching online, I discovered that house had since sold and I couldn't find any info on her, so can only assume she has died or maybe in a nursing home etc...who knows?

But it appears she no longer lives there, so I don't know where Mr xxx is now or if he found her. Thankfully he hasn't returned to this house because while I wasn't scared of him, he was a bit creepy the way he would just 'appear' and stand there watching me.

Jan66 Mon 17-Aug-20 17:03:46

I believe in ghosts as I've seen 2. One was a woman sat on my bed (I screamed when I saw her) and the other was a small dog - which my husband saw at the same time. They can appear quite solid, but then they fade out. There have been so many accounts of ghosts being witnessed through time haven't there.

Jane10 Mon 17-Aug-20 17:44:24

furret ?

lemongrove Mon 17-Aug-20 17:58:53

I think what people see (including dogs) are not there in ‘actuality’ but were in that spot at one time.It’s as if they have been captured on film.That’s why their behaviour is so repetitive, standing or walking in one place, and for dogs, running upstairs etc.If you had been ( for instance) a maid in a large house carrying a jug of hot water upstairs, chances are that you wouldn’t wish to do that for eternity.Very few serving maids died in service anyway, once married they usually had to leave work and raised a family.
Looked at logically, if ‘ghosts’ appear in certain places only,
Why would they act in that way? If you were actually there in spirit ( and enough bodily matter so that others could see you) you would roam about freely surely?I hope I won’t have to carry a mug of tea and toast from room to room forever!
That being the case, what anyone sees or hears has already
taken place, either hundreds of years ago or five years ago.
It has to be something to do with atmospherics.
Think how many human beings and animals have died, only in the last fifty years......there would be no room for the living if they were all buzzing about.

Susiewakie Mon 17-Aug-20 19:28:16

I moved into my current house 2 tears ago about 1 month after we moved in I was decorating the kitchen wall looked into the hallway and saw a elderly man in a big coat like my grandad used to wear .He took a hat off the coat rack popped it on his head and the turned raised his hat to me and walked off towards the front door and vanished ! But he didn't seem scary or unfriendly

Furret Mon 17-Aug-20 21:54:38

Oh how kind. Thank you Jane

FoghornLeghorn Mon 17-Aug-20 22:08:46

Lemongrove’s story of the neighbour who told her about a death that had taken place in her new house reminded me. A couple I knew many years ago were thrilled to buy their first house together. Days after they moved in a neighbour couldn’t wait to tell them that a previous owner had committed suicide by hanging himself in the master bedroom. The couple had to move as the husband worked shifts and the wife could never stay in the house on her own at night and certainly couldn’t sleep in the bedroom. What a selfish and horrible gossip the neighbour was to pass on this disturbing tale. After all, nobody would be thrilled by it would they?

Jane10 Mon 17-Aug-20 22:23:35

A new nieghbour moved in to a flat in our block. I felt that I had to tell her that the previous owner had been one of the nicest kindest people you could hope to meet. Although she was in her mid 90s the church was standing room only at her funeral with people of all ages. A really popular and sweet old lady. She didn't die in the flat. I just wanted to tell the new owner that the flat would have a wonderful warm atmosphere if the previous occupant had anything to do with it.

felice Tue 18-Aug-20 08:31:21

I was given a beautiful silver bracelet with a large Turquoise stone. Apache made as she was an Anthropologist and studied them.
From the moment I got it things went wrong, and unknown to me she was in the process of seducing my husband.
I threw it in the Water of Leith on a visit to Edinburgh but the damage was done. Superstitious I know but I hated it.

felice Tue 18-Aug-20 08:32:14

Sorry, a young woman gave it to me.

harrigran Tue 18-Aug-20 09:49:00

When I was selling my mother's home viewers kept asking if she had died in the house, she hadn't but my Grandma did, never told them that.
When the new occupants moved in the little boy wouldn't sleep in the bedroom that had been mine, the ladies frightened him.
Long story short, several times a week I dream I am back at that house and strangely my sister has the same kind of dreams.
My sister met the new owner with her son and he just pointed at my sister, he clearly recognised her.
It was like something from Tales of the unexpected.
I wonder if my sister and I are witches because we appear in each other's dreams and can finish the story if one starts to recount the dream.
You have more to fear from the living than the dead.

Nortsat Tue 18-Aug-20 10:10:22

This is my second attempt at posting here, my first lengthy post suddenly disappeared...

My partner was executor for his fathers (complex) will and we had the large, dilapidated family house to deal with. On one of our ‘clearing out’ visits, my partner was upstairs cleaning and I was doing likewise downstairs. I stepped out into the garden for a breath of air and on glancing back into the living room, I saw his mother standing there, as plain as day, looking well and smartly dressed in a beige coat.

She had died about 8 years previously.

The image faded away after about 5 seconds.

A week or so later, we were clearing the attic and found old family photograph albums, which my partner hadn’t seen for decades and I had never seen. On looking through them, we found a photograph of my partner and his mother, when he was about 8 years old (long before I knew him).
Yes, there she was in the beige coat, exactly as I had seen her in the living room that day.
We concluded that her presence was there telling us that all would be well.

I am not a believer in spiritual matters and wasn’t terribly fond of my MiL. Somehow if I was going to see an image of a deceased relative, I would have liked to see my own much loved mother, dad or sister. ?

Witzend Tue 18-Aug-20 15:56:46

Nothing uneasy about it, but a niece was given a ring that had belonged to a newly deceased great aunt. She showed it to a friend who has ‘the gift’, although she doesn’t do it for money.

She told niece some astonishing things about the great aunt, some going back many decades. The GA had lived hundreds of miles away and had never been anywhere near the area.

The niece wasn’t aware of some of the things, but checked later with her parents, who verified them.
They weren’t the sort of things that could apply to just any old lady, either.

Shropshirelass Thu 20-Aug-20 09:00:01

Go to see a psychic medium and take it with you, it would be very interesting to find out.

mauraB Mon 24-Aug-20 14:20:32

In 1964 my DH, our children, In laws and I were wandering along the beach at Carlyon Bay in Cornwall. I was a few paces behind them. It was a very bright sunny day, with a brisk wind and a choppy sea. I looked up and saw an elderly lady approaching. I smiled and said 'Hello'. She replied 'Its very treacherous today'. I took a couple of steps and reflected to myself that she was wearing strange clothes for a walk on the beach, black bonnet, strange black dress and high black boots. I turned to take another look but she was nowhere to be seen, just a large empty beach. I often wonder if any one else has ever seen her, wandering the beach to warn folk to take care.

Mistyfluff8 Sat 05-Sep-20 15:47:46

Flat we rented when first married in a very old building We went to sleep the first night and cloth my husband and I felt uncomfortable there .We changed bedrooms and no problem