Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Have you ever felt a 'haunted' resonance from an item in your home?

(122 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Fri 14-Aug-20 10:30:36

This is the most bizarre experience for me. I have this very pretty Staffordshire vase I bought at a vintage fair. But every time I look at it I get a cold feeling. It's like the vase isn't happy. Such a weird thing to say. I've never had this with anything else in my house. I've tried moving it around, putting it in different positions but the feeling doesn't go away. It's like it exudes unhappiness. I'm going to have to get rid of it. Have you ever had an experience like this?

Mozisart Sun 16-Aug-20 11:21:04

Many years ago I had a temporary job doing a survey at |Tredegar House and Country Park. The local council had just taken over the the house and grounds from when it was a convent school. There were six of us in the team and our office was situated above the courtyard. This one particular day it was raining, so there were no visitors to the park for us to interview, so we all stayed in the office. Now our boss was pretty strict and used to check in us from time to time.
we were all in the office just having a coffee and a natter when we heard footsteps coming up the stairs, (someone wearing heels) and along the corridor stopping outside the door, we all waited expecting the boss to come in but nothing, we thought Hmmm she's eavesdropping outside the door, so John leapt up and pulled the door open, but no-one was there, so we all filed out checked every room along the corridor including her office and toilet, nothing to be seen, we thought maybe it was floorboards springing back, but we had been in the office for some hours and the sounds of footsteps along the corridor was definitely a woman's wearing heels , but none of the ladies in our group were wearing heels. So feeling a bit spooked we all decided to explore the upper staircase of the house, we couldn't get very far as some of it was boarded off due to missing floorboards etc., but we did find and old schoolroom, which must have been some sort of science lab when it was a school and also a nursery with an old rocking horse an doll's house, we all had the gooseflesh experience while there so hurriedly returned back to our office. We later found out that our boss was not working that day and nobody else had come up the stairs. Many people have had strange experiences when visiting Tredegar House, but six people all at the same time? Makes you wonder.

Theoddbird Sun 16-Aug-20 11:26:27

It might just be asking for flowers. It would have been loved and put on a sunny windowsill full of flowers..

Taliya Sun 16-Aug-20 11:27:37

Yes, but I'm what is termed as a 'sensitive' person which means I pick up on things regarding people ...(sort of clairvoyant) People's furniture and objects and houses absorb the owners emotions, energy, feelings and especially so if that person has lived somewhere along time or the owner owned something a long time. This is why I can't buy second hand furnuture...beds , sofas , etc because I feel and pick up information about the person who owned it before and it can be quite uncomfortable. Happy feelings / energy also get absorbed into objects. I would imagine the object you are talking about may have been owned by someone who was unhappy quite a lot or sad ...It's probably best just to chuck the object in a bin . You can use Sage bundles and light it so the smoke wafts through your room (a bit like incense) and it can clear negative energy. You can get these from New age shops or Alternative health shops or online.

red1 Sun 16-Aug-20 11:28:40

Far too many people have experiences, for there not be something in it.The organised religions dismiss such things and tell us to follow their way- the afterlife!?
There is something called 'noetic science' relatively new,
which looks at such things,well worth enquiring into.

lindiann Sun 16-Aug-20 11:31:28

I worked in a Care Home and a Grey Cat ran across the landing in front of me. I looked but couldn't find it, when I told the others they said it was a Cat that used to live here and died.

Phoebes Sun 16-Aug-20 11:33:18

I used to share a relatively modern house with several other people. I never wanted to stay in when there was nobody else in the house as it had such a scary and oppressive atmosphere. On the other hand, when we first came to visit our current house before we bought it, it had such a lovely welcoming feeling that we had to buy it and we have lived here 30 years now.
When my Mum died, her spirit lingered in her house for several weeks afterwards and I could feel her there with me as I cleared out her possessions. One day she just wasn't there any more and I said to my husband; "She's gone." I think she wanted to make sure we were OK.
It's like you can feel the change in the seasons just by sniffing the air - I'm sure we have more senses than we are actually aware of.

B9exchange Sun 16-Aug-20 11:43:30

The hospital where I worked supposedly had the ghost of a nurse who threw herself down a lift shaft in one part of the building. I was on night duty there on my own when something made me look up, and I saw a pair of eyes glowing at me in the dark. I was petrified until I heard a faint 'meow'. How on earth did a cat get up to the fourth floor of a hospital?

Christalbee Sun 16-Aug-20 11:45:38

I bought a beautifully made 10 inch long sarcophagus of Tutenkhamun to go in my lounge. It had a smaller one inside the big one and they fitted together perfectly. I was so pleased with it as got it in a charity shop. But, as soon as I got it home I could not find a place for it anywhere. Everytime I put it down somewhere I had this awful feeling that it did not want to be with me and I had to move it again. An awful dread whenever I looked at it, and eventually I had to put it outside where the feeling eased a lot. I eventually took it back to another charity shop, but I've never forgotten that awful feeling!!!

micky987 Sun 16-Aug-20 11:45:50

Ive had soooo many spiritual experiences throughout my life. Too many to list. I can hold an object, tune into it and give information on its history or its owner etc. You should take it to a psychic or medium who’ll be able to give you info on it. It might be very interesting.

Jillybird Sun 16-Aug-20 11:48:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anxiousgran Sun 16-Aug-20 11:52:34

I’m equivocal about ghosts, but members of my family, not given to flights of fancy, have tales to tell.
Our house is 1870’s and has a very friendly feel as you come in the front door, and a lovely smell, which has never faded over the 30 years we’ve lived here, I always feel welcomed by the house when I come home. Lots of visitors have noticed the atmosphere without prompting.
I know the history of many of the previous tenants through one source or another. An aquaintance found out his mother had been born in here.
Also met an elderly woman at a school reunion who’d been born in our back bedroom.

collius Sun 16-Aug-20 11:59:44

I never liked my daughters house it made me feel uneasy. My grandaughter when two or three looked at the glass kitchen door and said ‘don’t let that man in mummy, I don’t like him’. There was no one there. She also asked who was the nice old lady who read her bed time stories. Not me I may add. They always seemed to have bad luck when they lived there. I was very glad when they moved on.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 16-Aug-20 12:07:21

The house I grew up in was haunted. My mother saw the ghost quite a lot. She said it was the lady for whom the house had been built in 1860.

I didn't know about this until I was twelve and told my mother that I had seen the round door-knob on the spare bedroom door turn and the door open, but no-one was there.

As an adult, I lived in a flat that was haunted by a small black cat. She rubbed against my legs in the kitchen, when my own cat, a much larger one, was in the sitting-room with a fellow student of mine. She too had felt the small kitchen cat.

Later on the ghost cat appeared on more than one occasion and was seen by people whom I hadn't told about her. After my marmelade cat died and we had two black and white cats, Blackie allowed herself to be seen much more frequently, trying to make me believe she was one of the living. After those two died, we got two predominantly white kittens and the ghost became invisible once more.

Our present house is not haunted, but my old marmelade puss turns up once a year, usually in the summer. Blackie apparently decided to stay in the flat when we moved, although I invited her to come too.

I know the feeling OP describes too. I would get rid of the vase.

I had at one time to pass an old graveyard on the way to work. One of the graves felt so "wrong" that I had to cross the road to get as far away from it as possible.

I once went into a church that I just had to get out of at once, and Blair Athol castle in Scotland had the same effect.

Apricity Sun 16-Aug-20 12:08:17

It's a very interesting question. I am a very sceptical, questioning person who doesn't believe in ghosts etc but over the years I have had very strong feelings about the 'vibes' in some places I have visited. It can be a quite creepy feeling or strong feelings that people have been very happy in the place or sometimes very sad. I have tried to analyse if there is something about the building, the decor or the location but there is nothing obvious or consistent. It only happens occasionally and remains a real puzzle.

Aldom Sun 16-Aug-20 12:21:30

As a young child I slept in a bedroom at the front of the house. An old lady wearing a long, Victorian, black dress and with white hair taken back in a bun, used to bend over me as she tucked in the bedclothes. This felt 'normal'. I was completely at ease with her. So much so that I never mentioned her to anyone. My younger brother eventually slept in the same room, after I had moved to a different room. When in my forties we were chatting about childhood I spoke of the old lady tucking me up. My brother's jaw dropped, he said 'Did you see her too'.

Paperbackwriter Sun 16-Aug-20 12:43:27

I was with a friend in a junk shop many years ago. There was a beautiful necklace, made up of small glass birds. It was pretty but there was something chilling about it. The friend sensed it too and simply said, well if one of us buys it, it'll save someone else from it. I still have it but it stays in its box. I'm too afraid of it to pass it on to someone else.

Mollyplop Sun 16-Aug-20 12:58:11

Loving this thread. The mooing car made me laugh out loud!

granbabies123 Sun 16-Aug-20 13:06:23

Our front bedroom regularly smelt as if someone had passed wind. Everything in the room was new, nothing weird to see or smell.
An old couple had lived there until his death.
My friend/neighbour who was very much into spirits etc went into room and chatted for a while saying how it was making me feel. The smell has never happened since. Very strange.

Pollyj Sun 16-Aug-20 13:20:40

I am like this with places, objects and sometimes people. Don’t know why. I would maybe have it blessed if you want to keep it, or sell it on if not.

Purpledreamer Sun 16-Aug-20 13:22:49

My husband and I both saw shadows flit past our living room doors in the house we used to live in. When we'd been there around 20 years I found a hallmarked wedding ring in the middle of the study floor. The study was upstairs and the only people that ever went in it apart from us was my daughter and family. The hallmark in the ring was from the 1940s.

Laughterlines Sun 16-Aug-20 13:24:49

We lived in a new build house and OH and I often sensed movements in our hall although we never actually saw a ghost. Some time later we had to deal with a mouse infestation. The ghostly movements ceased. We put it down to brown mice darting around on brown carpet.

Pollyj Sun 16-Aug-20 13:30:44

I’d always wanted an MG car and one day when I needed a new car, my husband surprised me with a (second hand) sleek blue MG sports car. I took one look at it and with a feeling of dread thought, ‘I’m going to crash in this.’ I had to smile and be pleased for him, but never shook the feeling and drove everywhere as carefully as I could Until one night, I hit black ice on a roundabout, spun off backwards and crashed. Luckily I wasn’t hurt but the car, to my relief, really, was totalled. Coincidence? Maybe, but the ‘knowledge’ was so strong and definite.

fiorentina51 Sun 16-Aug-20 13:43:19

I have a pretty gold pendant in the shape of a 4 leaf clover which my MIL gave me years ago. It was given to her for her 12th birthday and it came from their local jeweller located at the end of their street in Brussels.
He was Jewish and died in the Holocaust. I love to look at it but can't bring myself to wear it. Perhaps I should.

Esspee Sun 16-Aug-20 13:49:15

quizqueen. I had a Honda Integra bought in 1989 which used to moo. I complained about it when it was being serviced at the Honda dealership and was told they all did. Can’t remember whether “they” referred to Integras or all Hondas.

Esspee Sun 16-Aug-20 14:06:45

I sat alone in the Kings Chamber inside the Great Pyramid of Giza peacefully for a good 15 mins a number of years ago. My husband was in the grand gallery but no other visitors were around. I had longed for this moment and felt..........absolutely nothing.
A week later in the Hypostyle hall in Karnak, Luxor I wandered into the forrest of pillars, and despite the site being packed with tourists I was completely alone. Every hair on my body seemed electrified and despite the temperature being in the upper 30’s I was freezing cold.
That is my only brush with the unexplained.