Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone retired? What do you all do with your day?

(97 Posts)
Itsawelshthing Sat 15-Aug-20 23:28:46

Hi all. I decided to join Gransnet as I really enjoy going through the forum and just getting advice in general. I just wanted to ask what do you all do with your day when you do not have technology, like a smartphone for example? I'm getting fed up of just going on my phone all the time. I want to do constructive things. I find it a drag if I have to do ironing or cleaning my house. I want to be motivated and have something to do every day. What do you all do? I hope you don't mind me asking grin

grandtanteJE65 Sun 16-Aug-20 12:35:53

I shop, cook etc and enjoy having the time to do it.

Am currently getting a family cookery book ready for publication.

Write letters and e-mails, go for walks and bike rides alone or with DH.

Volunteer at the local museum.

Read books, sew, knit, enjoy my collection of dolls. Play with the cat. Weed as little as possible as I hate gardening, but want the garden to look respectable.

midgey Sun 16-Aug-20 12:48:00

Actually Itsawelshthing I find it crashingly boring! You need money or transport for lots of things.

Poppyred Sun 16-Aug-20 12:59:24

I love it. More time to do all the things you enjoy including doing nothing at all.

Beauregard Sun 16-Aug-20 13:55:37

I retired (early) last November, my DH in April. Our daily activities include planting and maintaining a good sized flower garden and greenhouse at home, an allotment sized vegetable garden on some land we own nearby. Walking almost daily, looking after our horses, reading, watching horse racing (tv only at the moment), spending time with family and grandchildren, meeting friends, lunching out after a long walk. Craft type things - making homemade face masks has taken some time up recently. Furniture painting, reupholstery projects, flower arranging, cooking. Visiting garden centres (not so much at the moment as we hate wearing face masks), shopping. Fitting housework in around all of this.

A typical day would involve shopping, walking or work type things in the mornings, then after lunch we sit and read for a while, then go to the horses/veg garden later in the afternoon, after dinner we watch some tv or read.

Never, ever bored or stuck for something to do.

Loving life!!

Kate1949 Sun 16-Aug-20 16:06:06

I've been retired 11 years, DH 10. I had no idea what I would do but it's been fine.
The first couple of years I volunteered in a primary school helping 6 and 7 year olds with their reading. It was lovely. I got asked to help in several school trips which was great.
Pre Covid, we would go to National Trust properties or use our bus passes to travel to different towns.
We holiday when we like, have weekends away. We find reasonably priced ones. We go out for lunch (usually cheap and cheerful) or I sometimes meet friends for lunch.
DH became a volunteer for the National Trust.
Before lockdown, we went to the theatre. Some theatres do cheap afternoons for the over 60s.
Occasionally I get bored but it's better than work.

Itsawelshthing Sun 16-Aug-20 16:25:28

Hi all. Thank you so much for your answers! I've found them so interesting and has giving me many ideas. I am sorry if I offended anybody on here because I mentioned retirement. I do not mean it in a bad way, I just mean it as what do you do to fill your time up with. I'm sure many people on here are still working. I am neatly 30 and work PT due to childcare. Ps I could've went on Mumsnet but I much prefer Gransnet instead.
Today I didn't do anything constructive except some laundry, cleaned the kitchen, organised my wardrobe and went to the park. Also did some crocheting. The weather is rubbish. X

AGAA4 Sun 16-Aug-20 16:30:58

After breakfast I usually take myself off for a walk 1 - 2 hours. I reward myself for the exercise with coffee and a read of my current book.
I keep up with friends and family through the day by phone or text.
I do a bit of housework each day - but not much and spend time on GN and later watch TV.
Before Covid I was a member of U3A and used to visit my family and see friends as well as the above.
Not very exciting but keeps me happy.

NfkDumpling Sun 16-Aug-20 20:04:36

Itsawelshthing

Hi all. Thank you so much for your answers! I've found them so interesting and has giving me many ideas. I am sorry if I offended anybody on here because I mentioned retirement. I do not mean it in a bad way, I just mean it as what do you do to fill your time up with. I'm sure many people on here are still working. I am neatly 30 and work PT due to childcare. Ps I could've went on Mumsnet but I much prefer Gransnet instead.
Today I didn't do anything constructive except some laundry, cleaned the kitchen, organised my wardrobe and went to the park. Also did some crocheting. The weather is rubbish. X

If you're not yet 30 Itsawelshthing, the U3A won't be for you, although volunteering might be. I remember well what it felt like to work part time and spend the rest of the day being a mum. Its easy to feel sort of, well, stagnant. Laundry just gets messed up again and meals are eaten, so you don't feel you've really achieved anything. So much is not happening now due to The Virus it is difficult to join clubs or classes.

Can you sew? Start making clothes, cushions ....

Macrame is back in fashion. And crochet. All sorts of crafts which can be done at home but give a feeling of satisfaction at doing something which won't get destroyed before the day is out.

Personally, I started painting walls. The downstairs loo mostly. It was a very small room so I painted the ceiling blue and the lower half of the walls pale green. Then I added clouds. And bushes, and grass. Then it took off. A hot air balloon in the sky; the bush behind the loo gained birds and a hedgehog. The fields had sheep and a hunting party and a scout camp. Then there were the children's rooms ....!

lemongrove Sun 16-Aug-20 20:34:34

Itsawelshthing you are in your 20’s.....? Why on earth are you on Gransnet? Your choice, but rather odd.

PamelaJ1 Mon 17-Aug-20 07:37:46

Well Itsawelshthing you have plenty of time to make a plan. My advice, for what it’s worth, is put off thinking about your retirement for a few years and enjoy the life you have at the moment.

Houndi Mon 17-Aug-20 09:49:01

Exercisecfirstxthing workvout takecdog walk do DIY around the house tiling bathroom any housework need doing calls to family in Australia Canada.Online courses i am doing learning Norwegian

Tanjamaltija Mon 17-Aug-20 09:49:16

Do voluntary work. This is bot for yourself and for those you help. You can cook something for others, help out in a Children's Home or an Old People's Home, or a Charity Shop... yo can take a walk, read, or write letters, or call people who are alone / lonely (from Facebook it's free). This is what I do: www.facebook.com/beadsforbabiesmalta

Moggycuddler Mon 17-Aug-20 09:52:48

Always stuff to do for me and never enough time in a day. There's always housework, laundry, and planning meals and cooking. And then there's bits of DIY and things to do in the garden. And there's books, music, and Playstation and Netflix and dvds. And chess. And playing with the cats!

Henny2020 Mon 17-Aug-20 10:00:31

I do sometimes wonder what I do all day! It is certainly not housework ... well a little bit ( my responsibility is upstairs, DH has downstairs) Like you Itsawelshthing, I worked part time while the kids were small, then increased my activities around that as they got older. About 10 years ago I was made redundant - and about the same time accidentally went into politics. I became a Town Councillor, then a District Councillor. After redundancy I retrained to teach English, so I occasionally do online or one to one lessons, I also sew, do creative embroidery, knitting, crochet and have taken up rag rugging during lockdown. There are lots of crafts on youtube and Facebook groups with loads of advice. DH and I are members of the National Trust, Wildfowl &Wetlands Trust, our local museum and the RHS - so loads of places to visit on days out - we just need to book ahead at the moment. We do the garden together, a bit of decorating, look after our pets (cats and chickens) and do some volunteering
I also try to cycle or walk for 30 minutes every day - more if possible
Somewhere along the way I seem to have retired - I don't know exactly when - but I did get my state pension and bus pass this year!!
DH says I spend too much time on my phone - but that is how I share my interests with people who don't live local to me.

Noreen3 Mon 17-Aug-20 10:04:10

Lockdown forced me into the sort of retirement I didn't want.It's the first time I've felt lonely.Previously,I volunteered at a lunch club one day a week,volunteered at a National Trust property,The Workhouse, mostly one day a week,went to a keep fit class one morning a week.I met my granddaughter from school 2 days,had her for a day sometimes in the holidays.The rest of the time,I went out with my daughter sometimes,went out and about using my bus pass,so I always had plenty to do.So,in normal times, there are plenty of things we can do.Volunteering is good,I'm off to Southwell Workhouse today,first time for a while,it's open to the public on Wednesday.

Lindylou23 Mon 17-Aug-20 10:13:09

I am newly retired as lockdown happened and in a rut, so today I am trying out a ladies only gym,I have required an electric organ so all I need now is motivation to keep at them. Wish me luck

Blossoming Mon 17-Aug-20 10:19:54

I’ve just retired from a very busy and successful career as a software developer. My house is full of tech aa I’m disabled and worked from home. I had planned a lot of trips with my OH but Covid knocked that on the head. I started hand sewing after seeing a few videos on YouTube, including the lovely Bernadette Banner and I’m hooked. So different from playing with code all day, which I had loved!

steves2907 Mon 17-Aug-20 10:23:29

I retired two years ago with my wife. I found that you must keep your mind and body active and acquire hobbies. I read a lot, enjoy gardening, am now growing plants from seeds in a growhouse bought as a birthday present, bake bread, make jam, started doing plastic model kits (Airfix), and walk everywhere whenever I can. I also do online quizzes and have recently completed two free short online courses through Futurelearn. Joined English Heritage and enjoy visiting their sites. So lots to keep me occupied, as well as finding time for family, grandkids, and just relaxing

Coconut Mon 17-Aug-20 10:37:43

Like glammanana .... how did I find time to work ! I walk loads, my Fitbit ensures I don’t sit for long.... I meet friends, visit family, go travelling (normally !) I read, make patchwork throws, do lots of cooking .... everything that I just love to do and didn’t have the time when I worked. We have to make the most of everyday, and now it’s time to have fun ....

travelsafar Mon 17-Aug-20 10:52:01

Before Covid i belonged to several groups and none of them currently are up and running so i have had to find other things to do . Its hard to keep occupied for whole day sometimes, and i have noticed i have started sitting down about 2pm and knitting. When it was hot i couldnt exercise, now its humid and raining so often i still dont go for walks. I seem to have lost all motivation. sad

Craftycat Mon 17-Aug-20 11:01:38

Yoga class, dance class, evening WI, art class, walking, coffee with friends, reading group, picking DGC up from school, gardening, baking.
Oh & occasionally a little light housework if I can find the time.

Candy6 Mon 17-Aug-20 11:31:50

I’m really glad you started this post so thank you. I too need some ideas on what to do. I think it’s great that some people are so busy with groups and crafts and I would really like to be the same but I’m not very pro-active I’m afraid. I suffer from low mood/anxiety which doesn’t help. Good luck and I hope you find some ideas on here. It’s a great group and I love it.

PipandFinn Mon 17-Aug-20 11:33:02

I do Zoom Pilates 3 to 4 times a week with lots of dog walking on our local beach for plenty of fresh air..Keeping myself flexible and fit in my 60's and onwards is now a priority for me.....

Cambia Mon 17-Aug-20 11:35:12

Treat yourself to an iPad if you can. Then you can do all sorts online. Yoga, Pilates, tons of courses. Read the paper and the news. FaceTime friends and family........

My general day is wake up at 6am. Tea in bed and read the paper until 8. Yoga for 15mins Meditation 15mins and a half hour walk.

Make sure I sit down to read half an hour twice a day. (You can get library books ordered and delivered to your iPad).

Cook something nice. Do a jigsaw. Garden for a couple of hours.

My day does really seem to fly by and I learn so much which just leads me off to learn something else. Embrace the Internet !

Doodledog Mon 17-Aug-20 11:43:28

If anyone is unable to do what they usually do because of Covid, and doesn't know how to get involved in online things, it might be worth looking at the WEA (google it). They run courses in all sorts of subjects, and are moving online for the duration.

Usually, they have classes in community centres, church halls and the like, so if you choose a class near you, when things go back to normal you will be able to attend in person and will already have 'met' your classmates (good for people who are nervous about joining things).

They are very reasonably priced, and free for people on benefits (including pension credit). They welcome people of all ages and abilities - they are not just for 'oldies'.

I don't work for them or have a vested interest, incidentally grin. I joined a class when I retired and really enjoyed it, but was surprised at how few people were aware of them, so thought I'd pass it on.