Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone retired? What do you all do with your day?

(97 Posts)
Itsawelshthing Sat 15-Aug-20 23:28:46

Hi all. I decided to join Gransnet as I really enjoy going through the forum and just getting advice in general. I just wanted to ask what do you all do with your day when you do not have technology, like a smartphone for example? I'm getting fed up of just going on my phone all the time. I want to do constructive things. I find it a drag if I have to do ironing or cleaning my house. I want to be motivated and have something to do every day. What do you all do? I hope you don't mind me asking grin

sazz1 Mon 17-Aug-20 22:56:28

A typical day here today. I got up around 9.30am sat around playing on my phone, reading news, gransnet, FB etc
Kicked into action around 11.30 and made up beds, put clean towels etc in the caravan in our garden as DD is coming tomorrow night with 3 DGC.
Had cheese, olives and crispbread for a light lunch with OH then upstairs listing 7 things on ebay. It's my hobby now and although I don't make very much I really enjoy it. We brought a lot of things here when we moved in November as we were going to do car boot sales but Lockdown finished that. DD now gives me things to sell so it's a bit of extra money for her too.
DD rang around 2pm asking us to book a table for weds night on the half price meal deal. Had a tidy up in the kitchen while OH went dog walking. DD rang again to tell me about the family gossip then DS2 rang to say he's starting a new job Weds.
Had tea and biscuits with OH then chilled watching TV while he cooked tea. I cooked last night.
I retired at 59 and get tired quite quick due to lung problems but try to achieve something every day. Go dog walking some days with OH as there's seats at the park so I can walk a bit and sit a while.
Always up late never go to bed before 1 or 2 so get up later too. Might do a voluntary job for a few hours when all the charity shops open again

annep1 Mon 17-Aug-20 23:50:20

Housework baking reading painting walking tin whistle jigsaws keyboard crosswords tv cinema theatre coffee and chat and more.. (limited by lockdown of course)
Have M.E. so I'm so glad to not be working and can use my limited energy for enjoyable things.

midgey Tue 18-Aug-20 09:31:11

PamelaJ gave the advice to not worry and live life, my advice would be to start saving for your old age now!

Callistemon Tue 18-Aug-20 09:52:40

Kicked into action around 11.30 sazz1 ?

With no social activities, yoga, swimming, U3A etc I've become rather like a tortoise. Not that I was ever a hare first thing in the morning after I retired.

Thinking about giving the shower a really good scrub. It takes some planning. The door needs to be taken off.

annep1 Tue 18-Aug-20 15:38:41

Goodness I don't fancy having to remove the doors. I manage to clean the shower without doing that, but I take the edge strips off and clean them and let them dry before replacing. I also replace the sealant around the base regularly. My OH keeps promising to take his turn.?

BelindaB Tue 18-Aug-20 16:15:15

Having worked full time all my adult life (as well as bringing up 4 children single handed after being widowed) I found retirement, initially, very difficult. I had deep feelings of guilt because I thought that I had to "do" something every day.

My youngest son eventually pointed out that I didn't and it was wearing the family out, my fretting.

I volunteered for a dog charity and upped the time I spent at the allotment. I've never looked back.

Callistemon Tue 18-Aug-20 16:35:45

annep1 we had to do it together; it needed new rollers and new door seals. It's had the best clean it's ever had! Now letting it dry out before new sealant goes in.

I did say to DH that I felt so sorry for Harry and Meghan having 16 bathrooms to cope with but he assures me they'll have their own personal plumber. ???

lemongrove Tue 18-Aug-20 16:43:42

Callistemon

^Well Itsawelshthing you have plenty of time to make a plan. My advice, for what it’s worth, is put off thinking about your retirement for a few years and enjoy the life you have at the moment^

I agree with PamelaJ1

In fact, I'm rather confused why someone in her 20s, working part-time and with young children, is seeking advice from retired people on how to fill her day.
There were never enough hours in the day when I was that age.

Quite!

annep1 Tue 18-Aug-20 17:08:38

I'm sure it looks lovely now Callistemon.
It's nice of you to think of H & M. I wonder do they have a shower squeegee grin

Callistemon Wed 19-Aug-20 00:09:34

Oh! I need a new one of those, thank you for reminding me.

It's too clean to use now. ?

Cabbie21 Fri 21-Aug-20 12:25:23

Because of Covid, the things I used to do are not possible. I sing in three choirs normally, volunteer two days a week, then there is church, occasional social activities, going out for the day, seeing family and friends, all of which are not happening. now I have reached the point of being a bit fed up with the days stretching endlessly ahead. I can occupy myself, in fact I have a list of tasks I still hope to complete, but I feel I lack the stimulus of interacting with others.

annep1 Fri 21-Aug-20 14:38:01

I have lots to do too but I do miss interacting with others. I wonder will I lose the ability. It worries me a little.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 17-Jul-21 10:29:30

Well I’ve been retired for six years retired early due to health reasons, and I can tell you I’m loving it, retirement doesn’t mean sitting on ya bum, there’s always something to do, gardening, cleaning, reading , decorating the list goes on, if you have a dog like me out with it few times a day, catching up with friends etc etc

Elusivebutterfly Sat 17-Jul-21 10:42:45

When I was working I was so stressed and exhausted I had no life outside work, which made me determined not to return to any part time job.
Initially, I had a major clear out/tidy up at home, explored locally and rested. I then joined craft and keep fit classes, went swimming, lunched with friends, visited museums and galleries and started an Open University degree. I also had sons at home and regularly babysat. Any downtime is online or reading.
Life in retirement is much better than working.

Elegran Sat 17-Jul-21 10:53:06

Anyone who doesn't have "technology" of some kind won't be on Gransnet to answer your question, so will never see it and reply. You yourself must have enough technology to read and post here, so when you eventually retire, you will have access to the recorded knowledge of the world, contact with millions of living people and be able to read the words of millions more from the past. That has become so mundane that it is taken for granted - or all the dangers make headlines while all the good elements are ignored. However, it is no use to you unless you have a receptive mind that sees possibilities when they are in front of you.

The internet gives you an entry into a vast amount of information, in formal classes, discussions, blogs, demonstration videos, forums like Gransnet and Mumsnet and social media sites tailored for any interest you can think of as well as general ones like Facebook. It is like living next door to a combined coffee shop, craft market, library, art gallery, museum and adult education centre. You can trigger a new interest just by browsing around and following links from other people's posts.

How can anyone be bored? You'll wonder how you had time to go to work.

Rosycheeks Thu 22-Jul-21 15:39:19

Time does go very fast when you have retired which I did in Jan. I was so worried at first but I love it. At the moment im decorating ,sorting cupboards, reading watching TV when I feel like it. Relaxing not clock watching. I realised how stressed I was now im so laid back. Hope you find something you like Itsawelshthing.

bytheway Thu 22-Jul-21 19:14:19

Get up at 7am, let pooch out, make tea for me and OH, read the news, have breakfast, take pooch for a long walk to park or beach.

Come back by 10am, OH makes coffee and we chat a while, then both retreat to our own hobbies, mine is piano which I’ll practice for any hour or 2, times or I might go to shops if I fancy a mooch around.

Make lunch, read on iPad for a while, take pooch for 2nd walk, maybe with a friend if ones around.

Sometimes I’ll watch a little tv late afternoon or I might sew awhile before I start tea.

Nothing earth shattering there but it suits me fine.

lemongrove Thu 22-Jul-21 19:29:34

This is an old thread ( a year old) and the OP is long gone.

MawBe Thu 22-Jul-21 19:38:37

Personally I recline upon silken cushions while two gorgeous young men fan me with ostrich feathers while peeling me grapes and feeding me oysters.
After that I don my beige crimplene pleated skirt, my trusty Hotters and go down the Bingo.

Lincslass Thu 22-Jul-21 19:55:49

Would loved to have worked a bit longer, but there you are, plenty to do , gardening, Future Learn courses, Duolingo, some craft work. Chatting on line with family and friends. Was a volunteer before Covid, but that has since dried up. Don’t know how I managed full time work!,

Entirelyfading Thu 22-Jul-21 22:41:42

Conversation session in my second language (still via Zoom) which requires reading & “prep”.

Volunteering (in person, socially distanced)

Hillwalking (recognised groups have been able to function for some time) - also go for walks on my own

Music (open air, socially distanced)

Gardening (have a small vegetable plot)

Spending time with family & friends (fitting in with the rules.

Reading - I attend a book group (Zoom in bad weather, outside if good)

I am happy to spend time alone but spend as little time as possible on housework!