Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandson with dog phobia

(29 Posts)
Nandalot Mon 24-Aug-20 18:39:25

My DGS has always had his little quirks but at 9 some of these are becoming more pronounced. His phobia about dogs particularly when they bark is making life quite difficult. He is very reluctant to go for a walk in case he meets/ hears a dog. We live in a village and he knows where the loud dogs are. I had plotted a new route for school avoiding the house with the really aggressive dogs which I think started all this but we had to turn back before this morning before reaching school. Have any other grandparents experienced this and have any advice to offer?

GrannyLaine Tue 25-Aug-20 11:49:49

WWMk2, Trisher I completely agree with your perspectives.
It's not irrational and his fear should be met with understanding - he's only 9. A bit of discussion about why some dogs behave that way and letting him help devise the strategy for avoiding the dogs in a matter of fact way would seem to me to be all that's needed.

trisher Tue 25-Aug-20 16:02:05

I was thinking when I was 9 I walked to and from school with a group of friends, there was a part of the grass verge we avoided because we knew there was a fairy ring there. We also knew there were aliens living in the sewers under the pavement. Now that was irrational! Goodness knows what would happen to me if I'd had those ideas today.

Fennel Tue 25-Aug-20 17:40:49

Like LuckyGirl and others I wouldn't call this a dog phobia.
It's a natural fear of big noisy aggressive dogs, which I share because of past experiences.
Although I also agree that they're only doing their job of protecting their home and family.
Different breeds for different jobs - not all the same.
Nandalot a puppy could be a good idea but make sure it's the right breed with the right parents.