Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Having a down day

(38 Posts)
joanna12 Sun 30-Aug-20 18:37:07

Hello,I know I am a misery and feel awful and selfish for feeling sorry for myself but yet again I am,getting a bit fed up with myself.Yesterday we had our fortnightly visit to our son and family,grandchild age 2 and half and baby six month,we get to sit in their garden with them inside the window,they won't come out and I respect that yet still I moan,don is working from home they have had three walks since march and I don't see an end to it,they are expecting a second lockdown and are not taking any chances but I do want to hug my grandchildren the two and a half year old wanted to come outdoors for a picnic he said be not allowed and it's hard to keep him at the window,I really don't know how much longer I can cope with this,after every visit I spend days in bits and think shall I carry on as long as it takes or just not go because it's so hard.I know I should be grateful for anything but it breaks my heart.

joanna12 Tue 01-Sep-20 12:01:54

Thank you.no I would never try to persuade my son,I would never forgive myself if something happened to any of then,I miss them especially when you see others out as normal and we have through a window once a fortnight.You are also right about toddler groups etc I hadn't thought of that do also thank you.And maybe it is my parents I will talk to my son about that,my parents are crazy but who am I to tell them what to do,I have been very worried around them,they miss the children do much as well.I hope you and your family are reunited soon.Best wishes

Illte Tue 01-Sep-20 12:28:10

Thank you for your kind wishes.

We can do this! (even if it's hard!) ?

joanna12 Tue 01-Sep-20 15:48:31

I forget sometimes others are having just as hard if not worst,easy to forget when you see people all around with their grandchildren and I think why me.

AGAA4 Tue 01-Sep-20 16:19:12

Joanna2 the pandemic won't last forever and we can all be reunited with our families. I have only seen some of my grandchildren once since March.
I understand how much you want to be close to them and have a cuddle as I feel the same. I am trying to be patient and remember this will pass in time.

BlueBelle Tue 01-Sep-20 16:59:05

What a worry joanna you must be so upset by this and please don’t think you ve done anything wrong in his upbringing
I do however think your son needs mental health intervention as he is way too anxious and this doesn’t sound new if he’s always been very anxious about travelling a short distance to visit you this is not normal behaviour Can you think of anything that happened to him or was he like this growing up too I think he needs a GP It sounds as if he has either married someone equally anxious or is compliant to keep your son calm and happy Covid has obviously highlighted his problems even more and I can’t imagine how he’s going to handle going back to university and

The worst part is this is going to rub off on the two children who will then be anxious children

Covid is bringing this huge anxiety out in some people I m lucky to live in a low virus area and to be honest children and babies are all out and about as normal apart from putting masks on, people are mostly in normal mode but I have two friends who still won’t venture out and to be honest they will get ill with their anxieties if they are not already
I m not sure that you personally can do anything he needs professional help and anti anxiety medication poor man must be in a real pickle about going out to work after so long inside

Illte Tue 01-Sep-20 17:17:20

Or they could be protecting their mental health by living in a way that keeps them calm and happy.

There is a whole range of views on Covid. It helps nobody to impose your own judgements on to others.

If you live in a low infection area, if you don't know anyone that has had Covid and been very ill you might think others are over reacting and need professional help for their mental health.
If you, like me, have had family on the front line, watching people die, dealing with families grief, suffering Covid themselves, you might feel that those who take it lightly are in denial and need professional help to face up to reality of this disease.

Close contact is currently the overriding factor in the spread of the disease.

25Avalon Tue 01-Sep-20 17:19:37

Taking the action he has has enabled him to live with his anxieties. To do anything else he would need to confront them and for this he would need help, but he has to really want to get it. Covid has made him extra anxious and I don’t see there’s much you can do at the moment but go along with their rules as hard as that may be. One big but - what happens if it is cold or wet or both? A good question to ask and he will be back at uni soon soon so how will he manage?
If it’s any consolation the gc won’t remember much of this time and what’s happening will seem normal to them.

Illte Tue 01-Sep-20 17:40:20

Joanna's son and his family seem just fine at the moment, in their isolation. It's joanna that's suffering and getting upset,not them.

Some people feel they need to get out and see others to protect their mental health.
Some people feel they need to stay at home and not see others to protect their mental health.

Each group does what's right for them.

It's the inability to accept that difference and the judgement that there must be something wrong with you if you're not doing what I do, that causes the problems.

joanna12 Tue 01-Sep-20 18:15:07

Thank you all so much,I will keep in mind all your advice it really helps.Yes I guess I feel why me when other people seem back to normal,but everyone is doing what they think is best and I know my son has issues,he had panic attacks why studying in uni,he won't travel on a train as theres no way he can leave ina hurry,motorways the list goes on just over the years we have accepted it and been there for him but he doesn't talk about it and I feel it was kinder to say nothing,his wife is a lovely lady and their two children are perfect,I worry about his wife how does she cope and then going forward the children.He has worked from home since march my daughter in-law in on maternity leave until January she is also a lecturer and I think they both think that they can work from home how I don't know.Then I have my mum who is a control freak telling me what to do and I thank God for my husband because some days I just want to walk out,so thank you all you are helping me so much and I really appreciate it.

hondagirl Wed 02-Sep-20 06:58:12

I think you must try to be positive and look on the bright side. At least you get to see them. I haven't been able to see any of my family since January.

luluaugust Wed 02-Sep-20 16:59:28

I know it feels at times as though everyone else is back to normal but its not true, so many people are still not able to see their GC or other family.

Puzzled Tue 15-Sep-20 15:47:51

As Captain Tom says "Tomorrow will be a good day"
Look to the future and wonder about what opportunities it will bring!
If you expect trouble, it will find you.
There are always others worse off than you. If you can help them, it will give you a sense of achievement and cheer you up.
Seize the day, or in dog latin,
"Illigitemos non carborundum",
Don't let the b.....ds grind you down