Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

People who menstruate

(367 Posts)
maddyone Fri 04-Sep-20 16:06:45

I’ve just looked at my Yahoo page and I saw a news item claiming that a very well known high street shop which sells health products, make up, and sanitary products, have launched a new kind of sanitary pad that is washable which is very commendable in today’s over polluted world, but the wording on the box says, and I quote ‘For people who menstruate.......’ because the store didn’t wish to upset/offend anyone by using the word ‘women.’

I know we’ve had threads discussing transgender issues before, and I don’t have a problem at all with transgender people, but when I saw this I honestly thought that the world has gone mad. Is there really a problem with saying women menstruate? It’s a fact isn’t it? I’m perplexed to be honest. What do other Gransnetters think?

Doodledog Fri 04-Sep-20 18:02:17

maddyone

Interestingly, when I do my Click and Collect shop online, I tag my Mum’s shopping on to mine and then deliver it to her. Most weeks she needs some ‘sensitive bladder’ pads. There are also similar pads marketed exclusively for men. Is this also a problem?

Isn't that because of the different urinary arrangements for men and women? Much like girls' and boys' nappies - the boys' ones have more gel at the front, and the gel in the girls' ones is concentrated between the legs.

maddyone Fri 04-Sep-20 18:11:39

Starblaze the difficulty with marketing towards people who wet the bed is that these products are not for people who wet the bed. My old mum needs to wear a pad all the time because she is very old and leaks somewhat as her muscles are ageing and she hasn’t got the control she once had. The pads solve the problem for her. The ones for men are the same, to wear all the time. I haven’t studied them as my dear old dad never had any problems in that department, but I would imagine that ones for men are shaped somewhat differently. The pads for women are more or less the same as those for menstruation.

janeainsworth Fri 04-Sep-20 18:13:17

They aren't any less women for that so I think it's right for trans women to also not feel any less a woman for that

You’ve lost me there Starblaze. I would have thought it was trans men who had the problem with sanitary products being described as for women, because they’re still menstruating (unless they’ve had surgery), want people to think they’re men but have to buy sanitary products for women.
I honestly don't get why it is a problem, we are all people yes we are, but there are differences between men and women (women menstruate, men don’t) but these manufacturers, by pretending that both men and women menstruate, are effectively saying that women are not different from men.
We are.

suziewoozie Fri 04-Sep-20 18:15:10

We may all be people but we are shaped by our biological sex in so many ways. It’s not the same as ‘people who wet the bed’ or ‘people who have mobility problems’. I would love to know actually how many transwomen actually expect the word women to disappear in relation to biologically sex based issues? The real villains in the transgender world imo are the TRAs who want women to disappear, be erased. The TRAs both hate and fear biological women - I don’t see transmen as hating and fearing biological men. The fact that I don’t menstruate now is irrelevant to the fact I am a woman. I have the lived experience of my biological sex and that remains true whether I was ever able to menstruate, or was ever pregnant or gave birth or not or breastfed or not.

Glorybee Fri 04-Sep-20 18:20:52

I recently read an article by Dr Mark Porter who was discussing the treatment of women who receive treatment for heart disease. All the research had been done for men and it is only just coming to light how vastly different men and women react differently to the same drugs and treatments, as they are so differently made up.

I have no issue with men and women wanting to live as the other, but there is no way, ever, that can men really become women at all, and vice versa.

gulligranny Fri 04-Sep-20 18:21:00

Suzie, what's a TRA please? This one has bypassed me ...

I agree with all you've said on the "disappearing" of women; I used to enjoy concerts at the London Barbican complex until they decided to open the "Ladies" to self-identifying ladies. No thanks, I need to feel safe when I've got my knickers round my knees!

Chewbacca Fri 04-Sep-20 18:25:39

Excellent post janeainsworth; effectively saying that women are not different from men.
We are.. We are not an homogenous mass of people; there are biological differences between us, despite what the "woke" amongst us are trying to say.

There are some lively and vociferous discussions about this subject on MN. Worth a read to see what they've got to say about it.

SilentGames Fri 04-Sep-20 18:28:48

And a man doesn’t produce sperm! Does he? It’s got me thinking now ?

annep1 Fri 04-Sep-20 18:31:44

I agree with LadyBella, it's a lot of nonsense.

Desdemona Fri 04-Sep-20 18:32:38

When did life become so complicated?

Starblaze Fri 04-Sep-20 18:37:27

I still don't get the problem... I'm assuming my opinion on that as a woman is valid but I don't see how it detracts from women in general and I'm very definitely a feminist.

Now there is a few MORE women, being a woman is wonderful and the more support, inclusion and equality for all women, the better.

My periods don't define me.

I also hope they finally get lost for good soon because I hate being a person who menstruates lol

Side note: I also don't see why it is a problem for trans women to use a woman's bathroom when they were doing it anyway and the only difference is that now we know lol

Personally I don't like anyone seeing me change and I really cannot poo in a shared multistall bathroom etc and would value a move towards seperate unisex cubicles everywhere!

suziewoozie Fri 04-Sep-20 18:39:37

gulli Trans Rights Activists.

Galaxy Fri 04-Sep-20 18:40:31

What is a woman star blaze?

suziewoozie Fri 04-Sep-20 18:41:29

Star if ONLY the problem were about people with penises in women’s toilets. If ONLY

gulligranny Fri 04-Sep-20 18:46:34

Thank you Suzie, all now clear.

suziewoozie Fri 04-Sep-20 18:57:57

And * Star* what is a transwoman? A man with a penis with facial hair in a frock who says he self ids as a woman? Yeah sure- put him in a woman’s toilet next to a 15 year old young woman washing out her bloodied knickers? That’ll work.

Starblaze Fri 04-Sep-20 19:02:37

Why do I need to answer what makes a woman if I am not the one who is having a problem with trans women?

Explain to me how they aren't a woman in a way that will make me understand and make trans women feel any less like the woman they feel inside*

Also I did mention I would be more comfortable with a move towards seperate cubicles so I'm not sure why you threw that at me suziewoozie

Women can be and have been prosecuted as sexual predators too.

Chewbacca Fri 04-Sep-20 19:12:00

I wonder if they'll now do unisex razors and foam, 'for people who shave'. No more Gillette for Men, but an androgynous razor that works just as well on women's armpits, bikini line and legs as they do on rugged jawlines. And whilst they're at it, they should rename those personal hygiene products for women at that difficult time of the month so that men and women can wash their nether regions; let's see how many men take that up!

Women have had to fight for hundreds of years to be heard, seen and respected. And now we're slowly, but surely, having the very word woman erased. How can anyone claim to happy about this whilst claiming to be a feminist?

suziewoozie Fri 04-Sep-20 19:12:34

Oh dear Star you really need to do some reading around the topic.

Starblaze Fri 04-Sep-20 19:18:12

Specifically which reading are you referring to Suziewoozie?

Although let's not assume I have done none.

suziewoozie Fri 04-Sep-20 19:25:03

Anyone who thinks use of toilets is the issue worth flagging needs to do some serious reading. But if you’ve done some, what’s your take on the TRAs attitude towards lesbians?

EllanVannin Fri 04-Sep-20 19:29:57

It's a mad mad mad mad world.

Galaxy Fri 04-Sep-20 19:31:32

How can transwomen feel like the woman they feel inside if there is no such thing as a woman.
I think the figure for those who commit violent sexual assault is 97% male. It's one of the reasons we segregate by sex.

EllanVannin Fri 04-Sep-20 19:37:40

As if I take any notice of anything grin Says a silent Maverick.
I'd like to meet the person who brainwashes me !

Starblaze Fri 04-Sep-20 19:42:07

I guess I just look at the ways trans women are the same as us and listen to their feelings and experiences

There is always someone in any demographic who let's every one down and I don't give them my attention

This is an interesting read...

Because if you look at how different all of us are an the different ways we have experienced inequality or prejudice or unfair judgement, how has this woman not a woman?

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/02/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-woman-it-is-not-just-about-femininity