Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

People who menstruate

(366 Posts)
maddyone Fri 04-Sep-20 16:06:45

I’ve just looked at my Yahoo page and I saw a news item claiming that a very well known high street shop which sells health products, make up, and sanitary products, have launched a new kind of sanitary pad that is washable which is very commendable in today’s over polluted world, but the wording on the box says, and I quote ‘For people who menstruate.......’ because the store didn’t wish to upset/offend anyone by using the word ‘women.’

I know we’ve had threads discussing transgender issues before, and I don’t have a problem at all with transgender people, but when I saw this I honestly thought that the world has gone mad. Is there really a problem with saying women menstruate? It’s a fact isn’t it? I’m perplexed to be honest. What do other Gransnetters think?

Pantglas2 Fri 04-Sep-20 16:11:50

As I understand it (and I’ve had serious conversation with younger members of family who are more up to date on these things and have friends who are unsure) only females menstruate but if you’ve decided not to be female, then being called a woman is offensive.

I apologise in advance to those who disagree and am willing to read all views.

Hetty58 Fri 04-Sep-20 16:14:11

I don't see why it's necessary to even mention who they are meant for!

janeainsworth Fri 04-Sep-20 16:17:39

I agree Hetty. It’s a long time since I’ve needed to use them but I don’t remember my boxes of Tampax being emblazoned with the information that they were for women.

suziewoozie Fri 04-Sep-20 16:17:40

I’m afraid the red mist falls with this sort of nonsense. I understand that there are some trans men who menstruate . I actually don’t care if they are offended by products designed for biological women being marketed as being for women. I boycott any company I know of who indulge in this rubbish the aim of which is to erase women. I’ve not shopped at M and S for nearly a year now since they opened their changing rooms to self id- ing women.

Chewbacca Fri 04-Sep-20 16:18:06

Another minefield of opportunities to offend opens up.......

suziewoozie Fri 04-Sep-20 16:19:35

Good point about not needing to mention the word women but this company clearly is making an issue of it

maddyone Fri 04-Sep-20 16:20:32

Actually Hetty you’re correct, why do the manufacturers feel the need to say who they were meant for? The name ‘Sanitary Towels’ would have been sufficient, so it’s interesting that the manufacturers chose to use the language that they did to describe the product.

maddyone Fri 04-Sep-20 16:21:31

Agreed suzie.

suziewoozie Fri 04-Sep-20 16:24:44

The manufacturers are either being woke or deliberately provocative - either way they are to be avoided.

Doodledog Fri 04-Sep-20 16:49:24

suziewoozie

The manufacturers are either being woke or deliberately provocative - either way they are to be avoided.

Or they are trying to appeal to a particular demographic.

I have every sympathy with those who wish to transition, but I also object strongly to women being erased, and female spaces being invaded. We have so few of them, and they were so hard-won.

MerylStreep Fri 04-Sep-20 16:56:46

Maddyone
Did you not see the flack that JK Rowling recieved over this issue. Even the young stars of Harry Potter unfriended her.

Galaxy Fri 04-Sep-20 17:00:51

I avoid anyone who doesnt want to use the word woman, they are generally misogynists.

Oopsminty Fri 04-Sep-20 17:04:04

Young people in my family/colleagues think it's all rather stupid.

Are women being cancelled now?

BlueSky Fri 04-Sep-20 17:08:40

Agree Suzie well said! Getting fed up to have to mind every P&Qs in case they offend somebody! angry

AGAA4 Fri 04-Sep-20 17:08:48

Unnecessary and ridiculous to put 'for people who menstruate'. I find it a bit insulting.

maddyone Fri 04-Sep-20 17:33:23

Oh no Meryl, I hope you’re not all going to unfriend me grin

Actually Meryl, I do remember something about JK Rowling now you mention it. As I said in my original post, I don’t have a problem with people transitioning at all. I just think it’s strange to avoid the mention of any gender words at all when the event being described is pertinent only to one gender or the other. Women do menstruate, and if someone has transitioned but not gone the whole way by having a hysterectomy, then biologically they remain a menstruating woman. That however doesn’t mean they can’t appear, dress, act, and in all other respects be male.

Re JK Rowling, she is entitled to hold any opinion that she wants, as can the rest of us. Some opinions cannot be voiced though.

BlueSky Fri 04-Sep-20 17:35:54

You are right Maddy how convenient for the young actors to jump on the current bandwagon!

maddyone Fri 04-Sep-20 17:38:22

Interestingly, when I do my Click and Collect shop online, I tag my Mum’s shopping on to mine and then deliver it to her. Most weeks she needs some ‘sensitive bladder’ pads. There are also similar pads marketed exclusively for men. Is this also a problem?

Galaxy Fri 04-Sep-20 17:44:22

No it tends to be women that are targeted.

Starblaze Fri 04-Sep-20 17:50:32

I honestly don't get why it is a problem, we are all people. If a product was aimed towards "people who wet the bed" I wouldn't mind and I don't understand why it would be a problem.

Some women don't menstuate at all and most don't do it all of their lives... They aren't any less women for that so I think it's right for trans women to also not feel any less a woman for that...

Shelmiss Fri 04-Sep-20 17:53:28

I used to be a person who menstruated but now that my periods have stopped does that mean that I’m not a woman anymore? I don’t know I get confused about it all.

I do know however that I am a woman. And no person (trans or otherwise) is going to make me believe I’m not.

Galaxy Fri 04-Sep-20 17:55:55

Women is not a dirty word.

annsixty Fri 04-Sep-20 17:59:33

Almost every form to be filled in now, after name and address , is followed by the question “ what gender do you identify with.”?
I do not answer that and tick the box which says I prefer not to say. I really want to say I don’t identify, I am a woman ,but I really can’t be bothered.

LadyBella Fri 04-Sep-20 18:00:40

It's pathetic. This gender nonsense has gone too far.