So, how much (roughly) ) is "a drink"?

phoenix Sat 05-Sep-20 14:32:24

Hello all,

A neighbour who is quite handy with a chainsaw, has offered to deal with the invading hedgerow at the bottom of the garden for "a drink" as long as he can have any wood suitable for his open fire.

Fair enough, but what, these days constitutes " a drink"? Is it £20, £50? I don't want to insult him, but neither do I want to over pay!

Confused of North Devon

ElaineI Sat 05-Sep-20 14:37:28

Do you know what he likes to drink Phoenix? Maybe get him a bottle or a few cans. It doesn't sound like he wants money. Maybe he meant a cup of tea - only joking but I would try to find out what he normally drinks and give that.

Callistemon Sat 05-Sep-20 14:40:50

I would find out what he does drink and buy whatever it is for him, rather than offer money.

Bottles of nice wine, a bottle of whisky or other spirit or some bottles of local ale?

He will have all the wood too, which will keep him going for quite a while over the winter.

Davidhs Sat 05-Sep-20 14:44:36

If firewood is involved it’s a fairly large hedge, the lower he cuts it the more firewood he gets, so make sure it’s cut to the height you want eg -3ft.
As for a drink, a bottle of scotch if he clears it up and leaves it tidy

merlotgran Sat 05-Sep-20 14:50:35

Pre Covid days, 'Just buy me a drink,' would have meant a couple of beers in the local pub but now I think it would mean a bottle of whisky (or similar favourite tipple)

Charleygirl5 Sat 05-Sep-20 14:54:34

phoenix rather than waste money- eg he may not like spirits and maybe a wine drinker only or vice versa. Why not ask him and then you will not be wasting your money.

A lot depends also on how long it takes him to do it because if it is a fair amount of time that may necessitate two bottles.

phoenix Sat 05-Sep-20 14:55:54

Thank you for the responses, appreciated.

In this instance, a "drink" definitely means money! Just need to know how much!

When he came to have a look at the job, "a drink" were his words, wish I'd asked him how much that meant!

It could be one of those awkward conversations.

midgey Sat 05-Sep-20 15:03:49

How about going for the middle..£25, seems reasonable to me.

tanith Sat 05-Sep-20 15:17:00

I was going to suggest £20

EllanVannin Sat 05-Sep-20 15:17:35

A dozen pack of beers.

NotAGran55 Sat 05-Sep-20 15:21:35

‘A drink’ around these parts is £20 .

merlotgran Sat 05-Sep-20 15:23:12

Yes. £20 unless it's more than two hours work.

Jaxjacky Sat 05-Sep-20 15:45:13

Friend of ours fitted new ceiling light, put 5 pints in down local for him, he drove over, so between £20-£25.

Calendargirl Sat 05-Sep-20 15:49:32

I’d have thought £20 plus the wood.

Probably been easier if he’d simply said “I’ll do it for £? and the wood”.

lemongrove Sat 05-Sep-20 15:54:14

Yes, it would have been better Calendargirl as a ‘drink’ is confusing.I would have said £15 is enough ( how many drinks does he want?) Some people would have given him a bottle of wine or a few beers.If I were you Phoenix I would ask him again when he starts the work.

phoenix Sat 05-Sep-20 16:15:07

Thank you to all who replied, I appreciate it.

I'm going to get him round again, and pin him down, iykwim!

Hellomonty Sat 05-Sep-20 16:36:46

Around here if someone says that what they mean is they really don’t want anything, but they know that you wouldn’t want to give them nothing so you say “just buy me a drink” to show that there’s no real expectation of payment and a token thank you will be fine. In this case I’d get him whatever bottle of malt whiskey was on special at the supermarket.

FlexibleFriend Sat 05-Sep-20 16:43:29

A drink is £20.

Molli Sun 06-Sep-20 09:51:03

Just asked my DH and he said £20 max as he is getting the wood. DH does this sort of thing sometimes and is happy to accept a bottle of wine or a few bottles of local beer instead.

Urmstongran Sun 06-Sep-20 09:53:37

I’d say a tenner would buy him a couple of pints in a pub. But I’d pass him £20.
😊

Chewbacca Sun 06-Sep-20 09:55:16

Whilst trimming his own side of the hedge, my neighbour offered to do my side too. I offered him £20 and a bottle of wine. He refused the £20 but accepted the wine. So £20 would seem a reasonable offer, as others have suggested.

Moggycuddler Sun 06-Sep-20 09:59:24

Just get chatting a bit and say "You said you'd be happy to do this for a drink - so, what is it that you like to drink?" Nothing awkward about that. Then either buy him what he drinks, a bottle, or a pack of cans. Or give him in cash the equivalent to buy what he wants himself.

Nortsat Sun 06-Sep-20 10:03:52

I was also going to say £20, if it’s a sizeable job.

A small job ... then £10.

NotSpaghetti Sun 06-Sep-20 10:13:10

I'd say £30 if its tidy.
You would spend that on a middling whisky. We have someone who does our hedging once a year who's a professional but not on the expensive end of things (quotes from some others have been horrendous!). He would want £20 an hour working alone.

NotSpaghetti Sun 06-Sep-20 10:15:04

Actually Chewbacca that's a good point, I've had that happen with a neighbour too...