Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you wash cleaning cloths with normal laundry?

(256 Posts)
queengran Fri 18-Sep-20 15:39:20

I always have. Everything goes in dirty, comes out clean is my thinking. But my daughter's just been round and saw me put a wash on and is apparently horrified. She puts a separate hot wash on for cleaning cloths. Am happy with the way I do it so not planning on changing but still curious as to what others do.

MaizieD Fri 18-Sep-20 18:06:40

Dish cloths and tea towels go in 60 degree wash with all other cotton whites.

Cleaning cloths in the 40 degree wash with the 'darks'.

Sometimes bleach the dishcloths if I get tired of them looking dingy.

Neither of us, nor our children, or guests has ever been poisoned by me.

Absolutely shock at all this throwing away of non organic cleaning cloths...

welbeck Fri 18-Sep-20 18:11:46

kittylester, do you have any sisters left ?

biba70 Fri 18-Sep-20 18:11:46

separate hot wash at 60 for white cottons - sheets, pillow cases, towels, dishcloths, etc. About once a week- the rest at 30C- it is good to have hot wash regularly to clear machine of any residue.

welbeck Fri 18-Sep-20 18:15:36

what do people actually use dish cloths for.
i use nylon/plastic brushes for washing up.
i have recently got a kind of mini scourer on a hollow handle wherein washing-up liquid can be placed.
i wouldn't like to have my hands in contact with debris, grease or hot water.
how different we all are.

MawB2 Fri 18-Sep-20 18:16:40

welbeck

gringringrin

jusnoneed Fri 18-Sep-20 18:19:43

I bleach my dishcloths, in washing up bowl and add the small drainer ( midsection of sink unit) and cutlery drainer into the bowl too. All get a good soak, then use the water to clean the sink/drainer and then a rinse. So the whole lot cleaned.

BlueBelle Fri 18-Sep-20 18:25:05

I wash them altogether washing is washing
I wash everything at 30 But then I don’t have any men’s white shirts white towels bedclothes or much apart from a couple of summer tops even my knicks are brightly coloured

welbeck Fri 18-Sep-20 18:27:58

given my lack of domestic acumen, it's just as well that i've never had any sisters.

tanith Fri 18-Sep-20 18:35:52

I use sponges mot clothes and they go in the dishwasher on a hot wash.

tanith Fri 18-Sep-20 18:36:59

Not cloths, arrgghh predictive text

MiniMoon Fri 18-Sep-20 18:37:36

I wash towels, tea towels etc. together on a hot cottons wash. Sometimes with bed linen if there is room.
The clothes we wear I always do by themselves.

biba70 Fri 18-Sep-20 18:38:58

use cloths for environmental reasons - much less rubbish/waste.

MawB2 Fri 18-Sep-20 18:40:53

tanith

Not cloths, arrgghh predictive text

So glad not clothes -especially at Jigsaw prices!!! grin

MissAdventure Fri 18-Sep-20 18:42:54

I can't get on with the sponges.
My grandson complains about it, but I'm never sure what to do with dingy sponges.
Wash them? I do, but they still look greyish and dingy.

Katyj Fri 18-Sep-20 18:57:46

Put them on a 60c wash with the towels and tea towels.

mokryna Fri 18-Sep-20 19:03:10

I put the sink sponge and green scrapper both which I use to wipe, yes wipe and scrape clean everything, that goes into the dishewasher. Then, they themselves go into the dishwasher. I can’t stand the way my DGC fill the dishwasher with food on the plates.

Fennel Fri 18-Sep-20 19:06:51

MawB2

welbeck

gringringrin

I love that Maw. grin.
I remember a thread like this when I first joined Gransnet back in 2013. How often do you wash your teatowels?
Followed by "what's a teatowel?" etc.
As an older Gran I didn't have a multifunctional washing machine until recently.
eg what's laundry? only nappies. So who cares about cleaning cloths?

May7 Fri 18-Sep-20 19:12:37

I used to soak dishcloths in the sink in bleach nightly but now I use anti bac pads or sponges and put them in the dishwasher nightly
All other cleaning cloths go in with normal washing cycle

Shrub Fri 18-Sep-20 19:43:14

Why bleach and then wash? Surely only a rinse is needed if the bleach has done its work.

annodomini Fri 18-Sep-20 19:57:21

I don't do much washing up as such. Most things go in the dishwasher. For pots and pans with stuck-on food, I use a scourer called 'Washup Wizz' which goes in the dishwasher too.

kittylester Fri 18-Sep-20 20:03:50

welbeck

I know!! I should proof read. I wish I had sone sisters and then they might do the dusting - my brothers are useless!!

grannysyb Fri 18-Sep-20 20:18:37

Why not? People seem to be very exercised about germs these days. I sling the dishcloths in with the usual wash.

PamelaJ1 Fri 18-Sep-20 20:42:07

I think I am fairly clean. I use teatowels to dry clean glasses and the occasional pan. Can’t think they need any special washing they haven’t been near anything dirty.
Dish cloths, well I have loads but I don’t use them for dishes I use them to wipe down surfaces.l I bought rolls of bamboo wipes and use two of those together. Wipe down the surfaces and put them in the wash with anything else. If I’ve been cooking with anything dodgy, chicken for example, I pop them in a bowl with a bit of bleach, leave, rinse then wash.

I’m trying not to use paper towels and use the bamboo wipes for mopping up too.

annodomini Fri 18-Sep-20 20:45:26

PS I also put dish brushes in the dishwasher. One in, one out.

biba70 Fri 18-Sep-20 20:50:02

annodomini- yes, things go in dishwasher- but I use cloths for cleaning/drying worktops and sinks, etc. Much more ecological than using wipes, etc.