Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Feeling sad

(85 Posts)
Granangel Mon 05-Oct-20 11:19:33

Has anyone else been through this? My 4 year old grandson and I were so close. He used to cry to be with me and when I left him he would cry. Now, since lockdown he cries to go home to his dad when we try to have him for a sleepover. I’m finding it hard to deal with. I still have him twice per week for tea and fun but why won’t he stay over now?

welbeck Tue 06-Oct-20 23:30:01

Helen369

The exact same thing is happening with our 5 year old granddaughter but it’s nothing to do with lockdown. She will happily spend the entire day with us, have her tea and bath but the minute she gets into bed she gets upset and wants her Mummy. We inevitably end up sitting by the side of her bed until she falls asleep. It’s difficult as we want to give our daughter a break sometimes but I think we just have to be patient until she grows out of it.

i find this disturbing.
why force a 5 year old to be somewhere that causes her such distress. unless it was a case of absolute necessity, eg illness of parents, which it is not.
i understand that you mean well, but it seems wrong to me.

TiggyW Tue 06-Oct-20 23:51:32

We live on the edge of Greater Manchester. My husband and I have had to choose between keeping in contact with my 89 year old Mum (in our bubble) or childminding our grandson. Luckily our daughter's in-laws are available for childminding, but it means that we can only meet our grandson occasionally somewhere outdoors at a distance.

"There is definitely a whiff of the North South divide in some of the decisions bring made."

Just watching BBC news - how on earth has a city the size of London not been affected by a large number of positive Covid cases? hmm

Txquiltz Wed 07-Oct-20 00:02:56

My 9y/o GS feels he must distance from me after a stern lecture at school on social distancing. One example given was younger people transmitting the virus to the elderly. We have decided to go along with this fear and let him know we love him if he is 1 or 1000 feet away. Just this week he has started calling us again to chat. Of course we are sad, but know in time his confidence will return. Incidentally, he does this with anyone bigger than himself.

Hithere Wed 07-Oct-20 01:50:47

Children grow and their needs change.

It is not healthy to have so many expectations on a child.
It is like you are sad and jealous your gc prefers his dad over you.
Children will pick their full time caregivers over anybody else.

My kids, around same ages as your gc, cry when they are having fun, doesnt matter whom they are with.
They are ok in a few minutes afterwards as if they never cried in the first place.

Granangel Wed 07-Oct-20 07:00:35

Yes I’ve been feeling very low about it, I knew he would eventually want to do his own thing but I didn’t realise it would happen so soon. Bless him he said to me I still love you granny but I only want visits now. ?

Granangel Wed 07-Oct-20 16:01:14

I’m certainly not jealous of my son how dare you assume that. I’m sad because he is growing up and away from me as all children do.
Thank you everyone else for your comments

Granangel Wed 07-Oct-20 16:06:10

I only just joined but I’m I joining now, all I can say is thank you to some and to the unkind people your lives must be so empty that you feel you have to insult someone you don’t know

Bridgeit Wed 07-Oct-20 18:24:26

Why won’t he sleep over? , because much as he loves you he quite naturally wants to be at home, please don’t dwell on it, the time will come when you will see more of him again, Twice a week is brilliant & much more than some folks have. as Grandparents we have to go with the flow & treasure all the contact & good times that we do have . best Wishes.

Absgran Tue 13-Oct-20 15:04:13

I have 3 grandchildren in Spain who I haven’t seen since February this year. The older two have been great with zoom calls etc. They are used to online schooling but have lost interest in this zoom call with grandma. Was very worried that my littlest would forget how close he was when I was last there. However I’m now getting blown kisses online now. It’s a difficult situation for all of us and I sympathise.