Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Am I being overdramatic

(129 Posts)
Toyoungtobeadamnedgran Wed 14-Oct-20 17:16:37

Hi everyone, I'm new here and to this Grandma malarkey

Long story short is my grandson who is now nearly 3 months isn't allowed to come to my home.

I had separation issues with my dog and she wouldn't let me out her sight last year, I have been working on her and she doing really well.

I have offered to make a sitting room upstairs away from the dog, at first it was yes ok, now that it's nearly finished there is another problem, new parents are now saying what if she breaks down the doors and comes to get you, what If the baby needs a bottle blah blah

I understand they are nervous, most new parent are, but I'm fed up walking the streets with a sleeping baby, how is he supposed to get to know me, and the weather is only going to get worse, or going to coffee shops for lunch, which isn't always affordable to do all the time.

They had a pram that someone bought them as the fancy pram won't fit in the boot, so this one was smaller, when I ask if they could come over with the smaller pram and walk over my way, they don't have the pram just now, I don't know what's happened to it but I can guess.

I don't drive and walk about 40 mins to their house to go get baby and they come with me.

I'm getting very miffed now as I've tried everything and suggested everything to help I totally understand their fears but I'm fed up jumping through hoops.

Everytime I talk about it I get far to emotional

Anyone any suggestions

Thanks

Lavazza1st Mon 19-Oct-20 21:55:25

@Tooyoungtobeadamnedgran My son and his wife have said we can't take the dog when we visit their home ( not that we are on visiting terms at the moment due to other problems) We would be happy to leave the dog at home as she would be cared for by other family members so not home alone. Do you have a friend or relative that can have your dog while you spend time with your grandchild in your home?

I do sympathise with your problem, but as a dog owning Granny I also feel that the new parents have the right to choose if they want the dog around the baby or not. I never had dogs round my babies either. Is there no way you can visit them or look after the baby in their own home? I feel it's not ideal to be walking the streets with the baby as like you say its getting cold- and cafe's are full of germs - so ideally I'd say either get a friend or relative to have the dog for your Grandchild's visits or visit them in their home.

Toyoungtobeadamnedgran Tue 20-Oct-20 14:54:55

Summerlove Children can be dropped at Grandparents home for child care and they don't want anyone into their house....

Summerlove Tue 20-Oct-20 15:01:06

Gotcha