Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is it really that bad to say I don't like prospective baby names?

(155 Posts)
NanAng Fri 16-Oct-20 14:43:53

I'm new to the forum, first grandchild on the way but i'm really sressed out about prospective girls names that are being mentioned. Does anyone else feel this way?

CarrieAnn Mon 19-Oct-20 14:48:39

All I can say is thank heavens my Grandma didn't get her way otherwise I would have been called Minnie Nora

ginny Mon 19-Oct-20 18:32:27

Thank you Tillybelle.

Magrithea Wed 21-Oct-20 09:31:02

NanAng are they giving the child two unusual names? My husband has cousins whose father gave them all unusual names. One changed hers completely, one kept his and the third uses her second name which is conventional. Perhaps they could be persuaded to do this so that the child can chose as she gets older.

Having said that you -will- get used to it in time and the child won't know any different. Unusual 'made up' names seem to be the fashion, I know someone who called their daughter Ravienna, not a name I've ever come across

SylviaPlathssister Sun 25-Oct-20 16:32:55

A word of warning about a first grandchild, as when I saw mine for the first time , I fell overwhelmingly in love and went into over drive buying and suggesting.
However, it was a daughter not a daughter in law. You are not your daughter in laws Mother, and however much you think you are being helpful by suggesting.....DONT.
At least my Daughter could tell me candidly when she disagreed with me...
DILs can be much more circumspect. You can end up losing your GCs. There is plenty on Gransnet highlighting the problem.
Just think back to a situation where you were given advice by your MIL? Was it welcome ?
Don’t speak and DONT suggest anything is my advice. Even if they want to call the baby Cowslip ....suck it up.