Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sentimental music - what do you think?

(36 Posts)
ExD Mon 26-Oct-20 10:21:55

My friend's husband has taken to going to bed early and playing what she calls 'sentimental love songs' on his iPad. Things like Dolly Parton and Abba and especially one about 'you're my best friend' that he plays over and over.
She's worried he's got another woman.

This is the same friend I posted about who had several 'bubbles' when she shouldn't even have had one - but that's another story.
(I haven't seen her face to face since August but we talk on the phone and she's becoming a source of amusement as she jumps from crisis to crisis which is unkind of me because she's really distressed). She's a good friend and we're very close so her behaviour is quite worrying and I want to help. Would it be best to ignore this and laugh quietly to myself, or or let her rant on and on? She often ends up in tears she's so frantic.
Is all this a cry for attention or is she developing some kind of dementia? She's 72.
I sometimes think I'm not a very nice person.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Oct-20 22:17:26

My friend gets on my wick, makes me laugh, and drives me up the pole (and frequently down it, too)

I'm glad to have somewhere to anonymously get things off my chest, because I think our friendship would be over if I didnt.

Callistemon Mon 26-Oct-20 23:09:05

Perhaps if this friend of yours is becoming over-anxious and frantic about everything, her husband is just retreating from her company and playing music to take his mind off her constant worrying and to remind him of happier times.

She sounds as if the COVID crisis is upsetting her peace of mind and perhaps she needs to talk to a professional, starting with her GP.

I don't often play music but did put some on today to "cheer us up in lockdown", lovely, until it was pointed out that I'd chosen Les Miserables.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Oct-20 23:13:18

Yes, perhaps she is just getting on his wick?

Callistemon Mon 26-Oct-20 23:15:56

Well, if she's going on and on to ExD imagine what it must be like living with her.
I think she needs help.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Oct-20 23:18:56

I have heard of a good few people who are struggling, but I would find it really difficult to live with.

FannyCornforth Tue 27-Oct-20 08:04:43

ExD did you read my reply on your other thread that is all about this friend?
I really think that you need to stop writing personal information about her on a widely read public site.
You've already written about her wider family (multiple bubbles), her fragile mental health (including possible dementia), issues with her husband ( including a possible affair), and now a very sick relative.
I was initially supportive of you, but this isn't a 'nice' thing to do, as you alluded to at the end of your op.

ExD Tue 27-Oct-20 11:19:43

Point taken.

MissAdventure Tue 27-Oct-20 11:21:04

flowers *ExD

FannyCornforth Tue 27-Oct-20 11:35:05

flowers from me too ExD we're all acting a bit strange at the moment.
Hope you have a good day x

PinkCakes Tue 27-Oct-20 13:59:36

Oh dear, I see someone has reported me for being nasty grin. I merely quoted what the OP had said.... "I sometimes think I'm not avery nice person" (she said it). I simply said "that says it all".

Ooh, what a nasty, mean, horrible person I must be. Tut tut.