Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How Long

(35 Posts)
Msida Thu 29-Oct-20 19:03:19

I have mentioned that I lost my husband a couple of months ago and it still really hurts

I know that a few others have lost their precious husband and I just wanted to ask how long does it take for it to stop hurting

How long does it take to not get up in the morning and he be your first thought, how long is it til you can listen to music without feeling so very bad

Please tell me it gets better, please tell me the pain does go away

NannyDee Sun 01-Nov-20 19:08:47

Msida , I feel,for you, I also lost my husband in August after a long battle with cancer. The first few weeks I was so busy sorting things out, paperwork etc but now all that is done I feel more bereft. This weekend has been awful. At the moment I cannot envisage feeling any better but I’m sure it will come slowly. This thread has been most helpful, thank you.

Hetty58 Sun 01-Nov-20 19:17:23

Msida, nobody can tell you how long it will be. We all grieve individually, although the stages are familiar, we take our own time to get through them.

Find your own ways to cope, things that help, things to avoid and make use of all the support available to you.

I can say, with certainty, that one day, you'll realise that you feel much better, you got through it and you're now out - on the other side!

Bellasnana Sun 01-Nov-20 21:23:32

Msida, my husband was Maltese. I have lived in Malta for the past 40 years. I love it here and could never go back to the UK now. Do you ever come back to visit? Not easy at the moment, I know.

I’m so sorry for your loss. It is not easy at all. Even after five years I still have bad days when I just want him back so much.

M0nica Mon 02-Nov-20 22:24:10

It is interesting how differently we act. I found the second year easier because I was no longer an object of interest

Sparkling Tue 03-Nov-20 06:58:53

I think you just get better at living with it, you don't get over it, but somehow create a new way of life. Remembering the good times becomes a comfort and a gratitude for sharing your life with him. I know exactly how you feel and it is hard and takes time but you will laugh again. ?

Msida Tue 03-Nov-20 14:24:09

Thank you loads

Puzzled Sat 07-Nov-20 15:28:14

In a couple of weeks it will be 23 years since we lost our son, a week after his 22nd birthday. It hit both of us HARD, but I kept telling myself that he was away on a business trip. Eventually we both accepted his loss, but he is never forgotten.
The memory can still bring tears to our eyes, especially as one of GS looks very like him.
Every year on his anniversary we meet as a family, to remember him.
Eventually you will come to terms with what has happened, but it will take time, and in different ways, for everyone of us.
You are not alone, if that is any consolation.

AGAA4 Sat 07-Nov-20 16:28:06

Msida so sorry you are hurting. Losing a loved one is the worst thing we have to go through.
My husband died many years ago and I remember how raw I felt for some time. Little things would set me off in tears and sometimes I felt I would never be right again.

I haven't got over it but I am happy now in the life I have. I can remember the happy times without being upset and just feel grateful for the time we did have together. flowers

Msida Sun 08-Nov-20 14:32:04

AGAA4 Thank you it's good to hear that you can be happy again