Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where to buy Christmas Decorations on line?

(73 Posts)
kittylester Sun 01-Nov-20 08:20:37

In the Great Lock Down tidy we threw out lots of old Christmas decorations and intended to go to a local garden centre which has a fabulous Christmas department.

We cant do that now so can anyone recommend an online site that sells good quality decorations?

Lulubelle500 Sun 01-Nov-20 11:56:46

I got some great baubles from John Lewis this year. I can collect them from a local Waitrose too, or they deliver. They were a bit different from the usual; a leopards head, an artist's pallette, London at night, a globe. Every year I recycle six baubles to my local charity shop and treat myself to six new. It keeps things fresh.

handbaghoarder Sun 01-Nov-20 12:06:47

There are loads online of all price brackets. I tend to have a look at the expensive stuff to get the overall “ look” and then shop at the cheaper stores to replicate it. Why pay £5 for a bauble when you can get a similar effect from the £1 shop. I use Notonthehighstreet quite a lot. And Etsy. Can be a bit more expensive but its buying from smaller independent stores. I bought a pamper box on Etsy last week to send to a poorly friend and the store owner sent me a note with the package thanking me and saying I was her first customer despite trading for a while. She even included a few “ extras” FOC. Have actually had nice little chats with her as a result.

grannie7 Sun 01-Nov-20 13:25:41

How can one ensure that you are actually buying from
a small british company when shopping on line.
I would love to be sure that it’s not a foreign company pretending to be british, I have fallen foul of them in the past.

I try to always buy british more especially during these times.
A couple things I have seen on Facebook and Instagram saying they are small british company have turned out that the goods are delivered from China,it’s very frustrating.?

grannie7 Sun 01-Nov-20 13:38:24

Just looked at Etsy bought some masks.

Looks a great site

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Nov-20 13:38:33

kitty sorry have only just seen this.

Try putting in “Luxury Christmas Decorations“

I liked the Armara site.
F&M aren’t bad but there isn’t the choice that you get in their actual shop.
Liberty and Selfridges might be ok But I haven’t looked.

lemongrove Sun 01-Nov-20 13:56:20

grannyteddy

Kitty Lester, if you are prepared to go out there is a wonderful garden centre near Cold Overton called Gates and an equally fabulous Dobbies at East Bridgford. Both involve a bit of a drive but the displays more than make up for that. Your nearest The Range carries a good selection too. Online look at Matalan and Wilkinsons before trawling through the pages of Amazon. I've bought some lovely ornaments online from both of them.

Some good suggestions.
I miss Gates deeply ( used to have two or three visits a year)
Including lunch at their lovely cafe.

lemongrove Sun 01-Nov-20 13:57:22

Am pleased that garden centre are staying open during the lockdown, a place of happy potterings for us oldies.?

DC64 Sun 01-Nov-20 14:16:05

Inspirations Wholesale ... they have a website and the store on the Wirral is amazing especially coming up to Christmas ? social media too

GrammaH Sun 01-Nov-20 14:23:25

I too would recommend Sara Raven's beautiful decorations but, somewhat surprisingly, Dunelm have some very pretty things also.
With all this gloom & doom going on, I intend to put more decorations up than usual to give a bright & cheerful oasis during these trying times.

jocork Sun 01-Nov-20 14:27:56

Etsy sells things made by craft people Not the cheapest but often beautiful and unique. I'm considering selling on there eventually but not enough stock yet - I retired a week ago and plan to get making soon. so maybe for next year!

grannie7 Sun 01-Nov-20 14:51:29

jocork good luck great place for getting something different and made and sold in UK always a positive.
we need to support our british traders more so now.

Thank you Handbaghoarder for mentioning them.I had not heard of but am impressed with the variety.

Missiseff Sun 01-Nov-20 15:08:02

Google

Harris27 Sun 01-Nov-20 15:10:49

Wilco if your quick!

Marydoll Sun 01-Nov-20 15:34:09

Kitty, don't be put off by the fact they are a catalogue shop. I just oay when I buy.

www.ace.co.uk/shop/christmas?beginIndex=0

Chris0 Sun 01-Nov-20 15:54:03

I have been to Webbs garden centre today as I too thought it would close for lockdown. I have been assured it will stay open but the restaurant will have to close. So glad to hear it will be open as it's a nice place to go if you are feeling a bit down.

PamelaJ1 Sun 01-Nov-20 16:37:15

Buy local and, if possible, buy British. Go out and spend to keep our economy going.

Marydoll Sun 01-Nov-20 16:49:13

That's is a good idea, but if you can't go out, what do you do?

LynneH Sun 01-Nov-20 17:06:01

eBay and Studio come immediately to mind

Marydoll Sun 01-Nov-20 17:36:58

Sudio is the same as ACE in the link, I posted.

In fact, Kitty I have just bought a load of stuff we certainly don't need, at DH's insistance.
Kitty this is all your fault! grin

PamelaJ1 Sun 01-Nov-20 17:47:19

Marydoll

That's is a good idea, but if you can't go out, what do you do?

Buy British on line.
I think amazon is going to ban me. I’m for3ver asking where it’s made!

Marydoll Sun 01-Nov-20 18:39:32

PamelaJ, I agree with buying British, but's it can be so difficult. I bought something recently from a British company, thinking I was doing my bit. It took ages to come and when I questioned it, it turned out it was coming from China! ?

GrandmaKT Sun 01-Nov-20 21:08:08

I can't believe garden centres can remain open! The rules say you can only leave home to shop for " basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which should be as infrequent as possible".
What basic necessities can you buy in a garden centre?

Theoddbird Sun 01-Nov-20 22:45:51

I knew of course that there would be sniping at me I don't like waste. I prefer recycling The thought of old decorations being thrown out annoyed me My children and their families and I have ones collected over the years that are reused whatever they look like. They hold memories My parents were the same I dislike the throw away society we live in. Rant over. Sending seasons greetings...happy fifth of November. Peace x

justwokeup Mon 02-Nov-20 02:47:46

Pamela I also ask where things are made before I buy. Like you I’ve fallen for ‘Designed in the UK’ Marydoll. It’s usually code for ‘Made in China’.

seacliff Mon 02-Nov-20 06:23:24

www.etsy.com/uk/listing/892772907/handmade-glass-mosaic-reindeer-christmas?ref=shop_home_active_3&frs=1

These are lovely, so individual. I have the little bird.