Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How Do I Tackle This?

(99 Posts)
Woodmouse Sun 13-Dec-20 19:47:38

During the summer my DH moved to a completely new part of the country where we didn't know a soul. I sold an item on FB Marketplace and the person who bought it was a local hairdresser. As I was looking for a new hairdresser I phoned her a few days later and made an appointment. I was very pleased with the cut and have been back since for one other cut. When I recently had to reschedule my appointment my new hairdresser contacted me via FB, offering me a different date etc. Fine. A couple of nights ago at 10.30pm she messaged me, asking if I could do her a favour. Thinking that it was in relation to my next appointment I said yes if course. Within a couple of minutes she messaged me back - basically could I lend her £400 until the following morning so that she wouldn't go overdrawn. I was totally shocked and didn't go back to her. I haven't heard anything back from her since and can't understand what happened. Had her phone been stolen and someone was trying to scam money from her contacts? Was the message meant for someone else? Did she really expect me to lend her money? I hardly know her! I just can't work it out. Basically, advice please, what should I do? I have an appointment with her at the end of this month?

Woodmouse Mon 14-Dec-20 17:23:19

I phoned my hairdresser this morning and explained my confusion etc. Yes, she'd been hacked and knew that lots of her contacts had been messaged, saying that she needed a loan. She had to change her FB password/s which apparently took her quite a bit of time.
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read my message and offer your advice and insight. It helped me no end.

Chewbacca Mon 14-Dec-20 17:33:18

Thanks for the update Woodmouse. Thank goodness you were on the ball enough not to just send the money and that you let her know about it.

Callistemon Mon 14-Dec-20 17:52:11

?Woodmouse

Calendargirl Mon 14-Dec-20 17:54:25

Glad it’s sorted WM.

Woodmouse Mon 14-Dec-20 19:33:51

Thanks ?

DeeDum Tue 15-Dec-20 09:53:24

If it wasn't her and she knows nothing about it, surly she will get in touch to arrange or enquire about your next hair appointment or something?
If she doesn't contact you, I think she knows darn well, and you should stay well away from her...

sarahcyn Tue 15-Dec-20 09:56:59

pollyperkins

Another one is sending a video saying you need to see this as I think you are in it. That nearly fooled me as it was a close relative and I’m sufficiently self centred and vain to be curious. But something weird about the request stopped me in time.

I got one of those - via Facebook Messenger - recently purporting to come from a friend who used to run his own security firm - anyone can get caught!!!

albertina Tue 15-Dec-20 09:58:08

Stay safe and get a new hairdresser.

DeeDum Tue 15-Dec-20 09:59:05

Oh pleased it's sorted, but still be aware anyone can say they were hacked !!
There's so many at the moment emails etc too
I've had bank asking if I spent x amount answer y if I did n if I did not ..wasn't the bank of course ,..
Royal. Mail asking me to pay for a parcel re delivery wasn't them! Tv license another scam
It's getting ridiculous out there,..
Keep warning everyone never follow a link ! Beware of texts too ..

Craftycat Tue 15-Dec-20 10:01:25

Sounds like a scam to me!
I doubt she knows anything about it.

billericaylady Tue 15-Dec-20 10:04:31

I would definitely mention it to her asap smile

TrendyNannie6 Tue 15-Dec-20 10:04:49

I would def tell her, poor girl , I couldn’t keep quiet

Callistemon Tue 15-Dec-20 10:04:50

albertina

Stay safe and get a new hairdresser.

That's not very fair.

The scammers are very clever and always one step ahead, it is up to us to be aware.

Rowsie Tue 15-Dec-20 10:06:22

I think this might have been a scam and she may not even be aware that the message was sent. If I was you I would contact her and say you had a strange message and was it actually from her, if she says it was from her, just say you weren't in a position to lend her the money but hope she is OK.

CleoPanda Tue 15-Dec-20 10:09:39

I think a few people haven’t seen the OP’s update yet?
Glad it was sorted.?

newnanny Tue 15-Dec-20 10:14:39

It seems like I hear about a new scam every week. Please be very careful of your money this Xmas.

Chewbacca Tue 15-Dec-20 10:15:13

Why don't people read the thread before posting? confused

SparklyGrandma Tue 15-Dec-20 10:17:11

Message her back and tell her she’s been hacked.

jaylucy Tue 15-Dec-20 10:22:45

First of all I was wondering why she would have contacted you on Facebook to change an appointment when she would have taken your phone number at your first appointment. I assume that whoever hacked her account has used all of the contacts of hers to send out the same message.
I would actually contact the local police and I hope that your hairdresser has also.
Quite honestly Facebook do little if anything when your account is hacked - the onus is very much on the person that has been hacked to prove what has happened.
Most police forces have a dept for cyber crime these days and they may well have been looking for more details in some cases. Dial 101 if in the UK.

Awesomegranny Tue 15-Dec-20 10:25:13

Sounds like someone hacked her account. I would phone her to check, if she is innocent and knows nothing about that message fine carry on using her, but if it was her stay away

Natasha76 Tue 15-Dec-20 10:27:12

I think you should contact her and tell her that you think her telephone was hacked because ......
It's a shame if you are new to an area to be avoiding people and losing a hairdresser that you are satisfied with. Its also very sad for the hairdresser that she has acquired a reputation just because someone has hacked her telephone. Lastly if you don't speak up, she is unable to warn her contacts that her phone has been hacked and they may lose money because of it.

Quizzer Tue 15-Dec-20 10:28:14

99 times out a hundred these messages are scams, but the other could be genuine. A couple of years back I had a message from a cousin I hadn't seen for years asking if I could lend her £50,000 as she had borrowed money to start a business, circumstances had changed and she needed the money urgently. It turned out to be genuine! I didn't have that sort of money lying around, but I knew this person had spent her whole life on failed ventures and I was not going to get involved. I haven't heard from her since so I don't know the outcome. All I can be sure of is that I would never have seen that money again.

Daisend1 Tue 15-Dec-20 10:30:02

Ignore it like it never happened Do NOT respond
If it is genuine I am sure your hair dresser will bring it up on your next appointment .Then you can say yay or nay.

BlackSheep46 Tue 15-Dec-20 10:56:06

Just say No !! Sorry no can do !! If you did decide to lend money to anyone then consider it a gift rather than a loan as you will probably never see it back in your account !

Chewbacca Tue 15-Dec-20 10:58:07

grin speechless!