Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How Do I Tackle This?

(99 Posts)
Woodmouse Sun 13-Dec-20 19:47:38

During the summer my DH moved to a completely new part of the country where we didn't know a soul. I sold an item on FB Marketplace and the person who bought it was a local hairdresser. As I was looking for a new hairdresser I phoned her a few days later and made an appointment. I was very pleased with the cut and have been back since for one other cut. When I recently had to reschedule my appointment my new hairdresser contacted me via FB, offering me a different date etc. Fine. A couple of nights ago at 10.30pm she messaged me, asking if I could do her a favour. Thinking that it was in relation to my next appointment I said yes if course. Within a couple of minutes she messaged me back - basically could I lend her £400 until the following morning so that she wouldn't go overdrawn. I was totally shocked and didn't go back to her. I haven't heard anything back from her since and can't understand what happened. Had her phone been stolen and someone was trying to scam money from her contacts? Was the message meant for someone else? Did she really expect me to lend her money? I hardly know her! I just can't work it out. Basically, advice please, what should I do? I have an appointment with her at the end of this month?

dizzygran Tue 15-Dec-20 11:00:00

I had an email a while ago from someone in my contact list asking for money as they were stuck in Spain. it was a scam. Just carry but be careful in case her email has been hacked. In

Daddima Tue 15-Dec-20 11:08:14

CleoPanda

I think a few people haven’t seen the OP’s update yet?
Glad it was sorted.?

And still people are replying!

Nannan2 Tue 15-Dec-20 11:12:22

Yes Definitely ring the salon and tell her- she probably knows nothing about this- and if you wait 'a few days' till your appt then the utmost damage could be done! Then when you go to appt (or sooner if she wants to see it) show her when you got email or call or whatever! This could have serious implications for her, or her business- or any person they've managed to scam! (Probably hacked her database and think all her customers/contacts are 'old' well- established ones who would be willing to lend her that)? Get in touch and TELL HER- Why wouldnt you? You'd expect someone to tell you wouldn't you, if someone did this in your name???‍♀️

Nannan2 Tue 15-Dec-20 11:19:05

Yes had not seen the update- but really i would have rung her straight away and let the poor woman know! Why on earth would you not-? You wouldn't want this to ever be done in your name and folk not even let you know what was going on, would you?! ?‍♀️

steves2907 Tue 15-Dec-20 11:25:10

Presumably you phoned her to confirm that she sent the msg and then told her ‘No’. Why would you lend money to a relative stranger?

cornishpatsy Tue 15-Dec-20 11:26:54

I assume there are so many of these scams the police are overwhelmed as surely they can be traced via the bank account money is paid into or their ip address.

EmilyHarburn Tue 15-Dec-20 11:30:40

When I get strange requests, usually by email, if i don't know the person I delete it and if I do i ring them to let them know their account has been hacked.

Aepgirl Tue 15-Dec-20 11:34:53

Definitely cut yourself off from her. How many other people (clients) has she asked for money?

RustyBear Tue 15-Dec-20 11:40:53

On Mumsnet you can highlight all the OPs posts, not just the first one and you can also click a link to see all the Ops posts together - makes it much easier to see if there’s been an update. I’ve never been able to find any way to do this on Gransnet- it would be really useful.

Craicon Tue 15-Dec-20 11:42:01

Why do so many posters feel that their advice is so crucial to the OP, they go straight to posting after reading the opening post and are too lazy to read the thread properly?

The situation has been resolved! hmm

Christmasbird Tue 15-Dec-20 11:54:26

I would go back to her and ask if her phone had be hacked as you had a strange message from her. Don’t say what it related to unless she asks you. That way when you go for your next appointment the air is cleared. Don’t give up on a good hairdresser - we are also in desperate times for some people

Notright Tue 15-Dec-20 12:05:12

I should go for your appointment if you like the way she does your hair. Sounds like a scam but not necessarily from her. Give her the benefit of the doubt, and a chance, if it was her, to get out of it.
I would say: "Strange thing happened the other day, someone sent a message to me saying they were you and could I lend them money." You'd better check your account, they could have sent it to everyone on you list." Don't accuse her outright. Good luck.

Callistemon Tue 15-Dec-20 12:07:13

It's not for want of asking, Rustybear
grin

It would be very useful, I agree

Sing19 Tue 15-Dec-20 12:11:14

I think this is a scam. I received a similar message from a friend, as did her other contacts. Your hairdresser may not have sent it. I'd let her know, can you WhatsApp her?

Situpstraight2 Tue 15-Dec-20 12:12:53

It’s about time GN put the OPs updates in green, OP has updated, it was a scam!!

Tanjamaltija Tue 15-Dec-20 12:18:20

A woman I know slightly knocked on my door with a cock-and-bull story about how her daughter had crashed her car into someone else's and he would settle for E600 and leave, etc etc. I said I don't keep money in the house (true), and she left. Another time a friend had just left my house when I received an e-mail from her about how she is stuck in Rome because someone stole her purse, and she needs E400 to buy a ticket. Another time a friend on FB kept sending me pictures of cute Indian children at school, praying, eating, playing, and then asked for a one-off hefty donation for his Mission, saying I would have year-round prayers. People will play on your emotions to get money out of you. Do not contact this hairdresser via the same way she (?) contacted you to ask for money, though. Try Facebook Messenger, or Linked In.

Shirls52000 Tue 15-Dec-20 12:24:51

Sounds like her account has been hacked. This happened to my FB account a few years ago. A friend at work told me she’d just had a message from me telling her that I’d been in an accident and had no money and needed to get home could she lend me a few hundred pounds !!! As it happened when the message came through we were sitting in the same office and could see each other quite clearly, we both just changed all of our passwords immediately

Shirls52000 Tue 15-Dec-20 12:27:37

Glad it’s all sorted now, I ve become suspicious now of anyone asking for money

Calendargirl Tue 15-Dec-20 12:34:15

READ ALL POSTS, NOW RESOLVED!!!!

Minerva Tue 15-Dec-20 14:11:09

I’m glad it got sorted. Both my brother and my daughter got hacked and what was creepy was the number of plausible facts in the email that got sent out. The hackers knew that my brother was flying to London and why, while my daughter’s hackers knew her profession and a good reason why she might be away from home.

Whiteanemone Tue 15-Dec-20 15:15:36

I think I’m quite savvy when it comes to hoax calls but sometime ago I had a text message from “Emma” who said she was at our local hospital and her phone was out of money and could I please send her£10? Well my hairdresser is called Emma! I was sufficiently concerned to phone her mum. Of course it was a hoax . As others have said you can’t be too careful.

ss1024 Tue 15-Dec-20 15:53:54

I would just write her back saying that you don’t think the e-mail was intended for you and you are looking forward to seeing her at the end of the month. This indirectly makes her aware of the e-mail, says you are not loaning her money (if she did intend it for you) and that you like the way you cut her hair.

Joesoap Tue 15-Dec-20 15:54:07

This is awful, contact her immediately before anything else happens, its obviously a scam and needs to be brought to light, the poor girl obviously doesnt know here phone had been hacked.

GrannyRose15 Tue 15-Dec-20 15:55:02

You must find a tactful way of letting her know you have had this message supposedly from her. She will then be able to change passwords or contact her provider if she chooses. Please don't ignore it because things might get worse for both of you - more begging texts for you and bigger damage to her reputation.
I once had an e-mail supposedly from an Indian friend saying he was away from home and had had all his money stolen. Fortunately, I was able to ring him up, get him out of bed and ascertain he was safely at home. His e-mail account had been hacked. (I didn't intend ringing him at night, I just got the time difference wrong!!!).

GrannyRose15 Tue 15-Dec-20 15:57:21

Why do so many posters feel that their advice is so crucial to the OP, they go straight to posting after reading the opening post and are too lazy to read the thread properly?

The situation has been resolved! hmm

This is insulting and unnecessary. We are only trying to help.