Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

If this were your hair what would you be doing with it? ?

(185 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 18:55:11

My hair has gone so dry and tangled these last few weeks.
OMG ?

I got Himself to take a photo of the back for me just now so I could see it. It feels so dry and tangly and I wanted to see it up close.

The first picture is from the end of October and the second one, just tonight.

No haircut in between & I can’t get to a hairdresser right now. (same for everybody I know)

What do you think I should do?
I’m thinking apply some products. Like Argon oil ? or coconut oil ? and wrap it in a turban to absorb the conditioner. It shocked me to be honest.

Any suggestions please? I’d be grateful.

Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 19:58:52

Right.
Googled under active thyroid.
Convinced now I’ve got one.

Weight gain. A lot.
Dry hair.
Muscle aches.
Gorgeous face.

Okay, I made the last one up.
Going to ask for a blood test.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 10-Feb-21 20:41:05

Argon oil / olive oil on damp warm hair wrap in cling foil for 30 minutes then wash/condition as usual.

I always rub a drop of argon oil on my palms and rub on the ends of my hair after drying.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 10-Feb-21 20:42:19

urmstongran walk away from google

grannyrebel7 Wed 10-Feb-21 20:45:30

Another advocate for the Aussie range of hair products here. I used the shampoo & conditioner, but the detangling stuff is particularly good and really sorts out the knots. My hair is dry and curly so is always knotty.

Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 20:47:24

Too late GG13 - but I only Googled the NHS (sensible) site.
I will mention thyroid function tests on Friday.
No harm to get them checked if they weren’t in the bloods done in December.

Promise faithfully no more Googling.
You can disappear down a rabbit hole ...

I will add Argon oil to my shopping list as well. Thank you.
?

Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 20:48:39

I like the idea of sorting out knots grannyrebel mine is like a ball of dry wool at the back.

paddyanne Wed 10-Feb-21 21:09:39

I use Philip Kinglsey Elasticiser ,I put in on put a shower cap over it and then a turban and keep it on for a few hours.My hair is looking in good condition considering I haven't seen a hairdresser sonce last february and have been colouring it and highlighting it myself.
You can get the elasticiser on Amazon or QVC

Pittcity Wed 10-Feb-21 21:24:07

I have a microfibre hair towel, which along with regular conditioning, has really improved my hair. I leave it on my newly washed hair for as long as possible before using a wide toothed comb. No heat needed as it's almost dry once the towel is removed.
I have an underactive thyroid which hasn't affected my hair and nails.

Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 22:18:58

Thank you paddyanne and Pittcity for your responses.
I am making a note of all your suggestions.

Mind you - things could be worse...

Callistemon Wed 10-Feb-21 22:36:52

Yes, do get your bloods done and checked.

In the meantime use an oil such as Argan oil Repairing Deep Conditioner overnight and then a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Use a little light Argan or other oil on damp hair after washing and don't use heat to dry it or straighten. Nor hair spray.
A hairdresser told me not to wash my hair more than once, or at the most twice, a week.
I do usually ignore that but don't wash it every day.

If your thyroid is fine, try taking a supplement eg cod liver oil.

grandmajet Wed 10-Feb-21 22:57:01

I just wanted to say how pretty your hair was, and will be again soon.
I too think Aussie moist shampoo and conditioner are great, comb the conditioner through and leave for a few minutes before rinsing.

Esspee Wed 10-Feb-21 23:02:12

My hairdresser recommended slathering conditioner on, combing through with a wide toothed comb then popping on a shower cap and leave on for as long as possible before rinsing off with lukewarm water and allowing to dry naturally.

DillytheGardener Wed 10-Feb-21 23:13:53

As an ex hairdresser I’d recommend OLAPLEX No.3 it really repairs damaged and brittle hair. It’s the only product that will repair your hair rather than a cosmetic fix.

FannyCornforth Thu 11-Feb-21 06:55:53

All the best Urms thanks
Glad that you got such good advice.
Get slathering!

BlueBelle Thu 11-Feb-21 07:25:13

How come it’s got shorter ? Have you cut it yourself or is it breaking off ?
I d forget about wraps oils or anything else, that’s not normal at all show the pictures to your doctor Thyroid comes to mind
What have you done to it over the lockdown have you bleached it, tried colouring it, cut it yourself if you ve done nothing then it’s your health because being in out of the elements should make it healthier but it looks so dry and poorly nourished
My hairdresser always says your hair growth denotes your health in four months it should have grown an inch or two not got shorter
I d take this seriously

Urmstongran Thu 11-Feb-21 07:37:16

I am BlueBell. I’ve done nothing to it. Not cut it nor coloured it. It’s because it felt so awful I got Himself to photograph it so I could get a proper look and was really shocked. It upset me to be honest.

That’s why I thought I’d ask for some advice.

cornergran Thu 11-Feb-21 07:42:14

Good advice about talking to a doctor urms. Show or email them the photos. Another vote here for Philip Kingsley elasticiser, it keeps my horrid hair in a reasonable state. Please don’t ignore this, I’m also suspecting thyroid issues but a doctor is the way to go. Good luck.

Kandinsky Thu 11-Feb-21 07:43:47

The 2nd photo immediately reminded me of the wonderful Carol Kline.
With your hair I’d cut it into a short funky cut like hers.

Ginnytonic5 Thu 11-Feb-21 08:05:16

urmstongran I always had a mass of hair ( so much so the family used to make jokes about it! ) then just over 2.5 yrs ago it started exactly like yours..it went really knotty at the back and was falling out drastically ...I live mostly in Spain and as you will know it shows and blows all over tiled floors! I was not able to lose any weight despite not having a big appetite, had no energy and my skin was like a lizard ( not a pretty site ! ) anyhow went to see my GP and had several blood tests ..it turns out my thyroid was slowly dying ...now medicated and feel mostly ok ( hair not as bad but nowhere near the thickness of before ) definitely worth asking your Doctor about .

Lilypops Thu 11-Feb-21 08:12:27

Urmston. A hair mask comes in a pot , Garnier do one , just apply yo your hair. Leave on for whatever times it says , then rinse off , the same advice really that other GN have suggested, Let us know the before and after , Hope you have some good results.

Urmstongran Thu 11-Feb-21 08:46:35

Thank you so much everyone for helping and giving such good advice. I will come back on here to update you once I’ve had my blood test and got the result. In the meantime I will give my hair some much needed treatment!

rafichagran Thu 11-Feb-21 08:55:04

I can reccomend the elastercizer too. X

rafichagran Thu 11-Feb-21 08:55:58

Sorry did not mean to leave the X

ExD Thu 11-Feb-21 08:59:52

I'm surprised only Calistemom has suggested cod liver oil. It works wonders with the dog's coats smile

muse Thu 11-Feb-21 09:03:03

I'd echo the product Callistemon recommended. Good luck with getting a possible, or even better, the definite answer tomorrow. I hope they do the blood test whilst you're there.