Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

If this were your hair what would you be doing with it? ?

(185 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 18:55:11

My hair has gone so dry and tangled these last few weeks.
OMG ?

I got Himself to take a photo of the back for me just now so I could see it. It feels so dry and tangly and I wanted to see it up close.

The first picture is from the end of October and the second one, just tonight.

No haircut in between & I can’t get to a hairdresser right now. (same for everybody I know)

What do you think I should do?
I’m thinking apply some products. Like Argon oil ? or coconut oil ? and wrap it in a turban to absorb the conditioner. It shocked me to be honest.

Any suggestions please? I’d be grateful.

Urmstongran Sat 13-Feb-21 10:09:35

❤️ your comment Calli made me giggle!

Callistemon Sat 13-Feb-21 10:13:37

I hope it all works, Urmstongran ?

I must go and fight with my own haystack in a minute (I needed breakfast first).

lizzypopbottle Sat 13-Feb-21 10:58:54

Urmstongran I haven't ploughed through eight pages of replies so apologies all round if this has already been suggested: Are you colouring/bleaching you hair yourself? Some home hair colour products can be very harsh indeed. Just a thought....

Urmstongran Sat 13-Feb-21 11:41:57

Thanks for posting lizzie but no, never had the courage to colour my own hair. I’ve always had it done at the hairdressers.

Sillyjilly2 Sat 13-Feb-21 15:30:31

My hair like yours is suffering - i have since developed a very dry scalp. The pharmacist suggested once a week soak your scalp with almond oil . It has certainly made an improvement to my head and hair

JackK Sat 13-Feb-21 20:55:53

I tied mine in a ponytail and cut it off!

Nanananana1 Sun 14-Feb-21 13:15:35

I have noticed that a lot of my friends are reporting the same problem. They all colour their hair (professionally and at home) so maybe 'more mature' hair just can't cope with the chemicals? Is there a more natural colouring solution, less toxic to older hair? I have let mine go grey naturally and it is in better condition than it ever was when I used to have highlights etc. Though it is much finer now, do those with thicker hair have the same problem with colourants and hair products?

Urmstongran Wed 24-Feb-21 19:53:52

Hello everyone!

After all your very kind inputs and advice I did promise to get back to you all.

This is my hair now after 3 treatments using ‘Aussie 3 minute’ very rich conditioner. It is so much softer and has no tangles. I’m really pleased and not anxious.

Himself took a photo. I’m actually surprised at how much greyer I’ve gotten (from the front, it’s brown from the roots to where the bleach is!)

Good job hair salons will be open, hopefully, from 21st April!

I intend to book an appointment in Manchester city centre for a decent blunt cut, probably about 3” off, and instead of the ash colour I might go for a warmer mid brown with caramel highlights. The ash colour is perfect when I’m in Spain as it doesn’t go ‘brassy’ but here in Manchester I think a warmer tone is more what I’m looking for.

I honestly didn’t realise how ‘old lady’ my hair shouted from the back! I’m ‘only’ 66y and not quite ready to embrace the grey just yet.

Again, sincere thanks to all who contributed. GN at its best!
?

Jaxjacky Wed 24-Feb-21 20:01:15

Thanks for report Urmston pleased for you it’s working, good advice you got, I wouldn’t have had a clue!