Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

am I being unreasonable

(110 Posts)
frue Thu 11-Feb-21 11:46:03

My 78 year old husband has arranged to visit and stay with our son and his family because it is half term. They live an hour and a half away. I have refused to go as I don't think it is in the spirit of Stay Home as although we are in their bubble they do not need childcare. Feel like a spoil sport and uncomfortable. Feel I might be I'm hurting their feelings as no response to my e mail explaining why I'm not going. Ouch

GrannyRose15 Sat 13-Feb-21 01:01:31

winterwhite Fri 12-Feb-21 11:20:23

No wonder when the elderly are so hyper-critical that the young get fed-up with being told to forego everything to protect us.

My sentiments exactly.

welbeck Sat 13-Feb-21 03:43:54

i think it is very sad that so many people have died and others suffered serious illness and lasting disability because the uk govt was not strict enough from the beginning.

Blencathra Sat 13-Feb-21 07:55:10

It really irritates me. We live an hour and a half away from our son and grandchildren and we haven’t even been able to give them their Christmas presents yet.

Naninka Sat 13-Feb-21 15:35:25

No offense but your husband sounds like a bit of a jackass. I'd wave him off then spend a week in my pyjamas, eating chocolate and taking control of the telly!!
(On a serious note... it's illegal so first sentence not strongly worded enough!)

joysutty Sat 13-Feb-21 15:45:02

Oh dear. Sure he wants to see and spend some time with them. But they say 6 miles of travel, as we are even afraid of going further ourselves these days. But think it's getting a bit ridiculous on the mileage restrictions unless you have a medical appointment then you can show appointment letter if stopped.

PECS Sat 13-Feb-21 17:31:52

Just because you could does not mean you should!

I think you instinct is correct. My DGCs and DDs live within walking distance but we have only spoken from the pavement and they at their doorway as we drop of bits or pass on a daily walk. At Christmas we allowed ourselves a 30 minute garden visit with each family. I know that is luxury for us compared to those who are miles away but what I am saying is we could easily spend more time but we do not want to become ill and then have them worry it was their fault!

Tweedle24 Sat 13-Feb-21 17:36:11

I am sure that the OO is very aware that she is reading the rules correctly but just needs a bit of moral supplier. It can’t be easy to go against her son and husband.

My concern is for her health. What if her husband carries the virus back into their home? That is why I suggested she tell her husband that they will have to isolate from each other for a while when he gats back. Maybe the inconvenience of that might make him think again?

Kaylamai06 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:51:07

My partner and I have been together for nearly 7 years. Whenever we have a disagreement he always refers to his past relationship. His ex took all his assets including their property. I live in a rented housing association flat and he moved in with me. I’ve suggested that I can add his name onto the tenancy but he doesn’t want to. Yet he says that I have somewhere to live and he doesn’t. I’m so confused.

MissAdventure Fri 19-Feb-21 14:43:08

So he just wants to complain when a solution is available, then?