Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Foods You Shouldn't Eat But Do

(114 Posts)
Woodmouse Tue 16-Feb-21 13:40:33

Apart from the obvious like chocolate, cake and crisps are there any foods you still eat which you don't tell your friends about? Only my Best friend knows that I eat Pop Tarts, Findus Crispy Pancakes and Super Noodles. I don't eat them every day but they are my guilty secret. ?

BigBertha1 Tue 16-Feb-21 14:01:07

No I dont because I live with the Chief of the Food Police but left to my own devices I would have in my larder and fridge;-

Crunchy Nut Cornflakes
Jelly Tots
Snowball cakes
Peanut Butter (he hates the smell)
Hash Browns
Whole milk
Cream
Macaroons
Really good beefburgers
Fillet steak
White bread sometimes
Pies- meat and fruit but best quality
Magnums
Champagne
and of course lots more chocolate than I admit too.

DiscoGran Tue 16-Feb-21 14:09:51

Mmmm, findus crispy pancakes.. Maybe I'll have those tonight.

GagaJo Tue 16-Feb-21 14:12:12

SO much stuff.

Cheese. Solidified fat.

Red meat. Mmmm

White bread.

Crisps. My VERY guilty secret.

Ice lollies. Not quite as bad as the others.

Full fat milk. It always used to be skimmed that I drunk, but in the school where I live it is always full fat. BUT I only have it in tea, no cereal etc.

DiscoGran Tue 16-Feb-21 14:13:38

I have made my own noodley recipe akin to (better than) super noodles. It's like a pot noodle/super noodle hybrid. Really easy, tasty and freezable. Recipe available on request.

NellG Tue 16-Feb-21 14:16:22

Bigbertha That made me laugh - if you live with the chief of the food police, I live with Britains most wanted! His food choices are terrible - your 'bad' list reads like his healthy list. He thinks broccoli is the food of the devil.

V3ra Tue 16-Feb-21 14:23:02

NellG you and me both! (Apart from the peanut butter, that's on my list).
My husband's favourite meal would be a mighty meat pizza followed by cheese and crackers ?

Ellianne Tue 16-Feb-21 14:25:32

I once confessed to a friend that I secretly ate shelled peas, the bigger the better, by the bag full.
She told me in her country they were fed to the pigs!

Anrol Tue 16-Feb-21 14:30:02

Pork crackling, and it gives me heartburn too so double whammy!

Woodmouse Tue 16-Feb-21 14:56:11

I too have Chief of the Food Police.smile. If he wasn't around I'd live off pepperoni pizza, chips, custard tarts and Sugar Puffs!

cornishpatsy Tue 16-Feb-21 15:23:55

Trifle sponge fingers. Originally thought they were a low calorie alternative to cake and sweets but I eat so many now that a small slice of cake would probably be better.

Kate1949 Tue 16-Feb-21 15:58:33

I usually eat quite healthily but on my naughty list are:
Fish paste sandwiches. My husband says it's revolting but I love it and it reminds me of childhood sandwiches.
Cheese and onion crisp sandwiches on white bread.
Chip sandwiches.
I have also discovered Tesco finest chicken and stuffing crisps which I have to stop myself from adding to my online order.

RulaNula Tue 16-Feb-21 16:00:02

McDonald's Breakfast. Egg and Sausage.

I have one a year.

Goodness knows what is inside them but I care not

For one day a year it's allowed.

AGAA4 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:01:10

Rice pudding. Apple pie. Too much cheddar cheese and chocolate.
Before the first lockdown none of the above were in my fridge.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 16-Feb-21 16:05:51

Chief of the food Police! Surely you’re old enough to eat what you want? I probably eat far too much chocolate. I recently rediscovered raspberry ruffles, which I love. You can buy them at Amazon.

janeainsworth Tue 16-Feb-21 16:08:28

Well you can all relax.
There's no such thing as an unhealthy food, only an unhealthy diet.
None of the above are going to kill you.

But perhaps not feeling guilty about eating them would actually spoil the enjoyment IYSWIM.

EkwaNimitee Tue 16-Feb-21 16:09:46

I’m not supposed to eat red meat because of the iron content but I do though I have cut it back. My favourite winter dish is a nice chargrilled venison steak with red currant jelly. Still one or two left in the freezer I hope.

timetogo2016 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:14:13

Cheese toasties and crisps are my guilty secret food and i love dipping chocolate in a hot cup of tea mmmmmmmmmmm.

muse Tue 16-Feb-21 16:33:35

Tunnocks Caramel Wafers
MacDonalds, crisp chicken wrap with garlic mayo. I know! I know! but it tastes so good. There is salad inside.
Toasted crumpets with butter and melted cheese. (mixture of blue stilton and cheddar.
Thornton's cappuccino chocolates
My SiL's brownies. Please come and see us soon when safe to do so.

No food police. I have to have my own self control with these. Mr.M likes them all as well except the macdonalds. He has a subway spicy italian subway sandwich grin.

MissAdventure Tue 16-Feb-21 16:56:57

Chips, crisps, Chinese food, anything I fancy, really (although when the heartburn appears, I usually regret my greed)

Maggiemaybe Tue 16-Feb-21 17:09:38

Chip butties on white, dripping with loads of salt and butter.
Nutella by the spoonful.
Red pesto from a jar, ditto.
Cadbury’s creme eggs, even the new, inferior version.
Tinned tomato soup.
I don’t hide my cheese habit, but friends might be surprised that even the DGS’s Babybels and Cheestrings aren’t safe.

I’ve got others that are a bit embarrassing, but not particularly unhealthy. Cold tinned tomatoes and crab sticks for starters.

MissAdventure Tue 16-Feb-21 17:11:34

I've just seen crispy pancakes mentioned.
I love the cheese ones, made into a sandwich (white bread)

Witzend Tue 16-Feb-21 17:23:05

I do love a Pot Noodle now and then.
And any fish fingers left over after Gdcs’ visits.
Ditto any little boxes of microwave chips. My excuse for buying those is that if Gdcs are starving after we’ve been out, they’re super-quick. Plus I can have any that are left with pickled onion vinegar.

Crumpets with loads of butter.
Really fresh jam doughnuts
Toasted teacakes with butter.

Now and then I buy a jar of Heinz sandwich spread and devour the lot - on far too much bread - within about 48 hours.

cornishpatsy Tue 16-Feb-21 17:24:15

Pizza with mayo and crushed cheese and onion crisps on top.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 16-Feb-21 17:25:45

Haribos