Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Foods You Shouldn't Eat But Do

(115 Posts)
Woodmouse Tue 16-Feb-21 13:40:33

Apart from the obvious like chocolate, cake and crisps are there any foods you still eat which you don't tell your friends about? Only my Best friend knows that I eat Pop Tarts, Findus Crispy Pancakes and Super Noodles. I don't eat them every day but they are my guilty secret. ?

MissAdventure Thu 18-Feb-21 16:57:57

Oh, bread pudding!!
My neighbour makes the absolute best. Rich, dark, stodgy.
It gives me appalling heartburn though.

By the time I'd steeled myself to eat some last time, my grandson had eaten the lot!

Purpleknight49 Thu 18-Feb-21 17:15:03

I was only thinking today as I sat in car outside a bakery shop, that I could eat a pasty everyday and fish and chips too! I didn’t use to be like this and I don’t eat these things very often as they’re not the healthiest of foods. Since I’ve got older I just seem to love all sorts of pies and crusty white bread. When I was younger I would never have wanted these kinds of foods, I actually craved salads!

Patsy70 Thu 18-Feb-21 17:56:39

Fish ‘n chips from the shop once a month.

Just noticed sandwich spread mentioned. Donkeys years ago I used to make a flan with sausage meat mixed with sandwich spread shock.

MissAdventure Thu 18-Feb-21 18:05:43

Oh! That sounds.........

Interesting.

Patsy70 Thu 18-Feb-21 18:20:46

MissAdventure more like ?

MissAdventure Thu 18-Feb-21 18:24:12

It would probably be nice with cheese and potato.
Or not.

seacliff Thu 18-Feb-21 18:25:06

Marmite crisps, or paprika crisps. mmm

LMW1 Thu 18-Feb-21 18:41:20

Chinese takeaway is my ultimate pleasure ?

scourw Thu 18-Feb-21 19:06:03

Where do you get Findus crispy pancakes?? I haven't seen them in years!! Gosh that brings back memories of family teatimes when the offspring were smaller and (much) younger

MissAdventure Thu 18-Feb-21 19:15:56

Iceland have them, I think.
Like most things, they're tiny compared to how they were years ago.
They come in a lot more fancy flavours, though.

Bamm Thu 18-Feb-21 20:50:32

The little green marzipan covered cakes from Ikea.

Kim19 Thu 18-Feb-21 21:21:34

My virtue halo is glowing. Think I've eaten and enjoyed almost everything listed here. However, it was also on here that someone introduced me to the method of gradually eliminating them from my intake. Didn't think that was possible. Thank you, ladies. Your list has made me realise how little I miss any of them. Oh, I still indulge but less and seldom. Another reason to be grateful that I ever stumbled across this site. Oh yesssss.........

scourw Fri 19-Feb-21 00:45:31

RulaNula do you know you can make a very acceptable rip off with just a microwave, a straight sided mug and a toaster? Beat an egg in the lightly greased mug, splosh of milk, if you want and a little grated cheese (if I'm feeling fancy I use parmesan), seasoning. Microwave the egg while toasting the muffin. No sausage patty, right enough but you could always improvise with a squashed chipolata. It's so very nice!

scourw Fri 19-Feb-21 00:46:43

Missadventure Thank you for that. As soon as we can travel again....