Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Foods You Shouldn't Eat But Do

(115 Posts)
Woodmouse Tue 16-Feb-21 13:40:33

Apart from the obvious like chocolate, cake and crisps are there any foods you still eat which you don't tell your friends about? Only my Best friend knows that I eat Pop Tarts, Findus Crispy Pancakes and Super Noodles. I don't eat them every day but they are my guilty secret. ?

Oldwoman70 Wed 17-Feb-21 11:09:14

I usually have a reasonably healthy diet however my list is:

Oven chips - only allow myself to have them approx. once a fortnight

Magnum Classic - I have to be strict with myself or I can eat a box of 4 over the course of a day

Jam doughnuts - I have one at the weekend as a special treat

Crisps - when depressed I can eat several packets in one sitting blush

I have no problem ignoring things like chocolate and cakes (except doughnuts) in fact I still have chocolates in my fridge which I received at Christmas

Nell8 Wed 17-Feb-21 11:10:38

smile Yes, it's all coming out now!

Low fat yogurt with spoonful removed to be replaced by double cream and nuts.

I fondly remember the Gransnetter who treated herself at Christmas with a pork pie washed down with Gaviscon. My kinda girl!

Woodmouse Wed 17-Feb-21 14:47:18

Oh yes, Fish Finger sandwiches with lots of ketchup.
I too love Crab Sticks. I like to eat a whole pack and dip them into prawn cocktail sauce.
Greg's sausage rolls. I hate to think how many I could eat in one sitting - probably four or five.

Erica23 Wed 17-Feb-21 17:40:44

Jam doughnuts, farleys rusks, and battered sweet and sour chicken from m and s ?

MissAdventure Wed 17-Feb-21 18:17:02

Peanuts, twiglets, the cheese biscuits with the cheesy layer of something inside. Tuc?

Blossoming Wed 17-Feb-21 20:27:56

Low fat hot chocolate (good) with 3 teaspoons of Coffee Mate (bad) added grin

MissAdventure Wed 17-Feb-21 20:33:56

Strong, hot coffee, with squirty cream on the top. Lovely!

Ro60 Wed 17-Feb-21 20:35:09

Discogran Thank you - love the secret ingredient - Now added to my fortnightly shopping list ?

Riverwalk Thu 18-Feb-21 07:58:36

A super noodle sandwich is nice

I've just seen crispy pancakes mentioned. I love the cheese ones, made into a sandwich

MissAdventure was it you who once boasted about a meat & potato pie in a sandwich? grin

Grandma11 Thu 18-Feb-21 10:30:24

Toasted Teacakes with Butter, Yummy!I

Fresh Crab Claws, mostly Brown Crab, but also King Crab when I can find any!
Shell on Prawns, peel, suck, enjoy, some of my Grandchildren think these are revolting, but are happy to eat Supermarket frozen ones in a Prawn Cocktail or on a Jacket Spud, they believe they are entirely different!

Homemade Chicken Liver Pate, made with lashings of Cointreau and fresh Cream, served on thick crusty Brown Toast and topped with tangy Seville Orange Marmalade. I first tasted this in a posh restaurant, and went home and copied the idea myself, definitely one for those who love eating sweet and savoury foods together!

Pancakes, Maple syrup and Bacon, Family Favourite since Teenage Grandaughter requested it once whilst staying with us, even DH is Hooked on this one!

Anything with Smoked Salmon in it, but hate plain fresh Salmon for its 'Earthy' Taste!

Fish and Chips, with Mushy peas, prepare Chunky Cod to Haddock, but sometimes have Deep fried Scampi as a Pub meal when they are open, somehow they just do not taste the same home Cooked! Just have a Dollop of Tartre Sauce on the side too!

Tish Thu 18-Feb-21 10:36:06

Dolly mixtures.smile

Quizzer Thu 18-Feb-21 10:38:04

Instant soup
Bacon fat
Full fat yogurts
Maple syrup

Azalea99 Thu 18-Feb-21 10:49:46

Marshmallows with salted caramel!

Oh, and frozen chips by Aunt B***ie!

Moggycuddler Thu 18-Feb-21 10:51:51

Chocolate. Pies and pasties. Not secretly though!

WhiteRabbit57 Thu 18-Feb-21 10:54:41

I have chocolate hidden all over the house. I thought this was my personal guilty secret, until I was chatting with my girlfriends and they all admitted to the same thing, even the slim ones!

GrammarGrandma Thu 18-Feb-21 10:57:50

Why am I not as slim as a sylph? Nothing on the above list appeals to me apart from chips with pickled onion vinegar and I do eat a lot of nuts. I'm a vegetarian and have never eaten anything at a MacDonalds. Needless to say, I am NOT as slim as a sylph.

Anitae Thu 18-Feb-21 11:00:41

Findus crispy pancakes!! Reminds me of being in school. I said I liked them and then it seemed that my mother gave me them every day. Took the shine off a but ?

Blondiescot Thu 18-Feb-21 11:04:41

I'm actually quite saddened by this thread. There are many things I would love to eat, but can't because of a chronic medical condition, but it saddens me to see people talking about the "food police" and so on. Food is - or should be - one of our enjoyments in life, so if you like something and are able to eat it, then tuck in! Life's too short to be ruled by the self-appointed "food police". Rest assured that if anyone in my life tried to dictate what I should or shouldn't be eating, they'd get very short shrift indeed!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 18-Feb-21 11:21:16

Pre made, processed meals and veg. A friend recently was decrying people who use Aunty Bessie's roast potatoes etc, so I kept quiet! Can't stand anything to do with cooking, so anything which lessens my involvement between opening the packet and bunging it on the plates is good with me.

Treetops05 Thu 18-Feb-21 11:23:11

Yes please for your recipe xxx

henetha Thu 18-Feb-21 11:26:38

I eat a low fat diet but am naughty sometimes. I try to ration myself though so it's 2 bags of crisps per week, 1 portion of oven chips per week, and one teaspoon of peanut butter every evening.

essjay Thu 18-Feb-21 11:29:13

proper homemade chips, done in a chip pan not deep fat fryer, also with pickled onion vinegar, even better between two slices of bread with real butter

Theoddbird Thu 18-Feb-21 11:48:01

I don't have things like crisps and biscuits. I don't like anything salty or sweet. Never eat sweets or chocolate. I have a near plant based diet. Ok no guilty food. I do like a glass of red wine though

SJV07 Thu 18-Feb-21 11:58:24

As I have Coeliac disease, and have had for a long time, anything with Gluten is a no-no. The consequences are NOT good!!! But I still like cooking!

Snowy4 Thu 18-Feb-21 12:05:41

Rum and Raisin chocolate licorice all sorts...eaten one layer at a time, potato crisps on a buttery roll, Gelato. It's all about balance. Lollies in one hand and crisps in the other.??