Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Punctuality

(29 Posts)
JackK Wed 17-Feb-21 14:29:24

Am I alone in expecting punctuality? I raced home from work as a friend was supposed to be coming at 2pm ... and half an hour later there's no sign of her, or a text to say she is running late. She knows I have to go back out at 4pm and I'll need to shower etc before I leave ...
I'm a bit miffed - aibu?

nadateturbe Wed 17-Feb-21 14:36:26

Perhaps she is ill or has had an accident.

DiscoGran Wed 17-Feb-21 14:37:04

No, but it sounds like they have completely forgotten about it, or maybe something unforseen has happened.
If it was me, I'd text to check.

Ellianne Wed 17-Feb-21 14:38:52

Maybe it dawned on her she's not meant to be paying you a visit in lockdown?

Grandmabatty Wed 17-Feb-21 14:41:59

I'm always punctual. I couldn't be late if I tried. It's ingrained in me. My son on the other hand is always late for every thing. The only occasion where he was on time was his sister's wedding as he was walking her down the aisle. It drives me mad!

timetogo2016 Wed 17-Feb-21 14:44:01

When i read the post puntuality i thought it was going to be about grammer.
I agree with nadateturbe/DiscoGran and Ellianne.

Namsnanny Wed 17-Feb-21 14:48:13

Great minds timetogo2016 grin

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 17-Feb-21 14:57:11

If an arrangement had been made, I expect it to be kept to. Obviously if there is a genuine hold up, then that is fine. I would expect a call or text though.

LauraNorder Wed 17-Feb-21 15:12:08

Hope your friend is okay and also hope it’s a socially distanced garden visit.
As far as punctuality goes, to be on time is be respectful of another’s time.

crazyH Wed 17-Feb-21 15:16:06

Punctuality is my middle name. Didn’t work for me when I went for my vaccination - receptionist suggested I go back to my car and wait there until it was just 2 minutes before my appointment ? I had gone 15 mins too early...

Sarnia Wed 17-Feb-21 15:19:23

My Dad instilled punctuality in me as a sign of respect and I have tried to bring my children up the same way with varying degrees of success. However, if something unforeseen happens then a short text or an apology once you arrive should be fine.

AGAA4 Wed 17-Feb-21 15:40:08

Unless there has been an emergency your friend should have let you know why she was late/not coming.
I think it is rude to be late and have someone waiting around for you.
I tend to be early for everything and it is me waiting around till the agreed time.

LauraNorder Wed 17-Feb-21 17:04:27

CrazyH, if your middle name is punctuality why aren’t you called crazyPH which might make you acidic or base but certainly not neutral.

Kim19 Wed 17-Feb-21 17:10:12

I'm with GMBatty on this. I have a son who drives me nuts with his appalling timekeeping. I've now moved into a routine of quaffing cocktails whilst I wait for him. Lovely. Not my first choice but I can't seem to have that and, ashamedly, I would wait forever for him. Sad but true.......

JackK Wed 17-Feb-21 18:38:07

Thank you everyone. She arrived 40 minutes late - problems at work. She's so lovely, I'd forgotten her lateness in an instant!
Yes - it was a socially distanced visit in my garden. She is a community nurse for the homeless and I was passing some bin bags full of unwanted clothes/kitchenware for her people.

Grandmabatty Wed 17-Feb-21 19:07:55

Kim now we tell him a meet up time half an hour earlier than it should be and he's usually still late!

annodomini Wed 17-Feb-21 19:36:38

Ex H didn't know the meaning of punctuality. When I first met him, he was an hour late coming to have a meal with me and I thought he had met with an accident. Breezed in, asked why I had been upset. Why did I not jilt him there and then? hmm

geekesse Wed 17-Feb-21 19:58:35

JackK, unless you and your visitor are outside the UK, or are in a bubble together, I’m wondering about the legality of a ‘socially distanced visit’ in a private garden. If she was just collecting bags of stuff, surely that could have been done in a few moments from the front door?

JackK Wed 17-Feb-21 20:12:06

@ Geekesse. The hand over was completed at the back gate - she didn't stay longer than two minutes. I didn't breathe in any of her air, and she didn't breathe in any of mine grin

Jane43 Wed 17-Feb-21 20:19:00

I hate being late and so does my DH and our two sons. It drives me mad when people aren’t on time, I once had a hairdresser who came to my house and she was always late, sometimes an hour or more and it drove me mad just sitting waiting for her to arrive. She also used to stop working when she talked which made things worse. When our younger son first met his wife she had a tendency to be late but is much better now after 26 years of marriage.

nadateturbe Wed 17-Feb-21 23:02:31

Glad she was ok. But wondering could she not have let you know.

JackK Thu 18-Feb-21 17:49:53

@nadateturbe yes, I agree - I certainly would have done!

Fennel Fri 19-Feb-21 14:51:35

I'm another one who likes to be on time, but realise that many others are different.
I think the need to be punctual is related to other things like making lists and crossing them off when done. Answering emails ASAP.
A bit obsessional maybe, myself included.

crazyH Fri 19-Feb-21 14:57:17

Fennel, I agree - it’s an obsession with me and also a fear of forgetting - before I turn the lights off, I write a list of what I have to do the next day ?

Fennel Fri 19-Feb-21 15:40:34

grin crazyH