Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you wonder how much time you have left?

(118 Posts)
Foxglove77 Fri 26-Mar-21 18:50:10

Without being morbid and in my late 50s I have been wondering how much time I may have left. 20 more Christmases? I know nothing is a given and I am grateful for the life I've had so far, but am just interested to know if this has crossed your mind and what your thoughts are?

dragonfly46 Fri 26-Mar-21 21:26:05

I think about it.
I expected to live a very long life - my Dad was 97 and my Mum, last week, at 100, until I was diagnosed with breast cancer.
My consultant though wants me to live another 20 years.

MayBee70 Fri 26-Mar-21 21:26:20

It’s why I fall asleep each night watching the tv. If I just lie there I start thinking about things. My family are a bit prone to this fear of death thing that kicks in at nighttime. Looking forward to a holiday was something to keep my mind occupied as well.

Elusivebutterfly Fri 26-Mar-21 21:26:52

Average life expectancy in the UK for those over 60 is late 80s so hopefully most of us here have quite a while yet.
I was a smoker for many years so do think this could still have an effect for me.

MayBee70 Fri 26-Mar-21 21:31:30

Yes. I wish I’d never smoked. And when I did smoke and felt stressed about smoking I used to light a cigarette! They do say that as soon as you stop your body starts to heal itself though.

LauraNorder Fri 26-Mar-21 21:49:46

At 71, Orlin and I are the babies in our crowd so, as the rest are pretty fit, we do not really think about it. That is until I read this thread.
One day at a time I suppose, what will be will be.
Only hope when my number’s up I go peacefully in my sleep not aware that I’ve gone.
Marydoll ?

BlueSky Fri 26-Mar-21 21:59:51

Occasionally but I don’t dwell on it. Then you hear about people you know, older than you and you think, well they are old, then people your age or even younger, and you realise there is no point in speculating how many years we have left. Just live each day to the full and enjoy!

Deedaa Fri 26-Mar-21 22:11:15

I've thought about it since DH died although there's really no comparison as he'd been ill with cancer for nine years. Apart from arthritis I feel pretty fit although I must make an effort to get more active once we're out of lockdown. Most of my family were long lived so fingers crossed ..........

Lucca Fri 26-Mar-21 22:14:48

I think about it a lot. What a horrible thread.

Callistemon Fri 26-Mar-21 22:26:19

It is, isn't it Lucca!

Only hope when my number’s up I go peacefully in my sleep not aware that I’ve gone.

I intend to go sitting on a lovely terrace, glass of wine in hand, gazing at the ocean.
Hope I manage to put the wine glass down first.

Redhead56 Fri 26-Mar-21 22:27:32

I have casually thought about in the past but this last year more so. My dad was ill for years thrombosis and diabetes he had massive stroke at 66 and died. My mum was 94 but had dementia and died with lung cancer. They both suffered I want to go out like a light. I worry about my husband being on his own and my DC missing me but I know they will be preoccupied with their lovely families.

Curlygirl Fri 26-Mar-21 22:29:51

Last year our DGD now aged 8 said to us”It must be horrible to be old”. When I asked why she thought that she replied “Well you never know when you’re going to die”. Do children say what we really think but don’t like to admit?

BlueSky Fri 26-Mar-21 22:35:03

That’s it Redhead you also worry about your DH being on his own or yourself without him. Our DC and DGC while missing us, they’ll get on with it.

Sara1954 Fri 26-Mar-21 22:36:31

Elusivebutterfly
I gave up smoking in my late twenties, the doctor told me on my last visit, that I could now consider myself a non smoker.

gulligranny Fri 26-Mar-21 22:41:22

Our oldest granddaughter when aged 5 (now 13) and having been talked through the death of a relative, informed us that we were old and we would die and that she would be very upset. Then she looked us up and down and said "but I don't think you're going to die soon" which was a great comfort!

I do think about what I haven't done that I wish I had and now won't be able to. I also think about how (and whether) I will survive my DH's death if he goes before me, summed up by these words by Sir Henry Wotton:

"He first deceased. She for a little tried
To live without him, liked it not and died"

Lordy, now I'm feeling really depressed!

Shinamae Fri 26-Mar-21 22:57:13

Yes I do, frequently. I know worry is a completely useless emotion but unfortunately I believe it’s part of being human...

B9exchange Fri 26-Mar-21 23:13:08

I started when I turned 62 and DH retired. It occurred to me that if I suddenly dropped dead, it wouldn't even make the local paper, it would be too common an occurrence! 10 years on and it is something I am always aware of. I tend to think when having to buy a new appliance 'will this see me out?' but with the built in obsolescence, maybe not!

Every time DH is unwell, it induces a worry that would not have been there 15 years ago.

mokryna Fri 26-Mar-21 23:27:51

Covid has made me think about this, even to the fact that I have written a will, I feel that I should live for at least another 20 years to be as old as my parents.

My mother survived the war in London and in later years suffered diabetes among other illnesses and my father fought on different fronts in different armies and although they were heavy smokers and didn’t eat healthily, they reached nearly 90.

However nothing is guaranteed, I always try to leave the rooms tidy before going to bed now, just in case I fall ill and never have time to arrange them.

Aldom Fri 26-Mar-21 23:32:24

Flexiblefriendflowersflowers

GreyKnitter Fri 26-Mar-21 23:40:42

Yes, I do think about it. I’m 68 and generally fit and well but I am aware of my mortality. My DH is a similar age but has a range of health issues which may effect his life span. I often think that this may be. The last time I buy something significant Eg mobile, washing machine, curtains for the lounge etc. Not morbidly but just matter of fact. I sometimes think of how much of my grandchildren life I will be an active part of - whether I will see them grown up and with families of their own. My grandparents lived til their late 70’s and my mum until her late 80’s. Who knows what the future will hold?!

CafeAuLait Fri 26-Mar-21 23:58:06

I think it's normal to wonder from time to time. My ancestors have all lived to a ripe old age, generally into their 90s. But I do have friends who have died in their 40s and 50s and that makes me feel mortal. I hope I have a good bit longer in me yet.

nanna8 Sat 27-Mar-21 00:20:20

Having been to 2 funerals of friends within the last 10 days I have to say it is certainly on my mind. One of them was totally unexpected, only just 70 and shocked everyone who knew her. Just about all cried out. A few of the same people were at both funerals which made those of us together really take a stock . If you’re wanting to do something, do it ASAP.

Rosie51 Sat 27-Mar-21 00:33:13

Covid 19 has certainly concentrated my mind sad We normally visit one son (and his family) who lives in Canada once a year ( they could never afford to come to us). It's almost 2 years since we saw them, and looking like it will be next year before we can see them again. I always knew it was a 'countable' number of times we would enjoy with them before I died, perhaps that's why I feel so cheated by this bloody virus sad

DanniRae Sat 27-Mar-21 07:34:51

I never used to give a thought to how old I would live to (both parents lived to 90) and then, at the age of 70, along came our first grandchild and, just a few weeks ago, at 72, along came our second grandchild! I am now constantly thinking that I really hope that I live to see them both become adults. Another 20 years for me would do it - I'll aim for that then! hmm

Hetty58 Sat 27-Mar-21 07:44:48

Foxglove77, only occasionally - and it doesn't influence my decisions. It's a rather negative way of thinking. We all know that it's quality of life that really counts, not quantity.

Scentia Sat 27-Mar-21 07:49:49

I don’t really, I live every day like it could be my last, I spend every penny I have each month and when it’s my time, I leave nothing for no one?