Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

People who constantly brag

(103 Posts)
Madwoman11 Wed 14-Apr-21 10:47:26

This is not a major problem but it is becoming slightly annoying.
Someone I cannot avoid just goes on and on about what she is buying for the home, and for herself. Always top of the range things, and this is her whole conversation.
I can't avoid this person, but I am very close to saying something along the lines of " I'm not interested how much your new sofa or car cost, and I'm not impressed by peoples possessions". Or perhaps I should just yawn and say "Really "
Btw I aren't jealous I am financially secure, and have a lovely home myself.

Jane43 Sat 17-Apr-21 14:09:09

Santana how terrible for you, I don't blame you not speaking to her again. I hope you are doing well now. Just before I had my lumpectomy op my sister-in-law said she hoped I’d get through it but she is renowned for saying the wrong thing so it didn’t bother me too much. Bragging is one of my pet hates and thankfully I haven't had to put up with it much but a member of our extended family is a culprit. The first time our daughter-in-law visited her with us when we came out of the house my DIL said it’s a wonder she doesn't have price tags on everything in the house.

instagran Sat 17-Apr-21 21:31:25

At a hobby group some years ago was a woman who would regale the group with news about what she'd bought in River Island sale:
"This lovely blue skirt, it was only £59 so I bought four" was a frequent typical mantra.
I once said "they must have seen you coming!"
What I wanted to ask was were her family very poor as she was growing up?