Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New home prezzie

(36 Posts)
minxie Mon 19-Apr-21 16:24:49

My son and his Girlfriend
have bought their first house together, they already live together in a tiny studio flat.
Question is I would like to make them a hamper full of bits and pieces. They have a huge garden and intend to keep chickens. The house needs lots of work.
Any ideas what to fill the hamper with. Thanks

H1954 Mon 19-Apr-21 16:28:47

You don't mention how much you want to spend.........but I will start this off with......,garden tools, book on chicken keeping, seeds and fertiliser, paint brushes, diy tools, dust sheets, cleaning products, dusters and cloths etc - consider recycling your old cotton waste for these.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 19-Apr-21 16:29:59

I would so enjoy doing that?

mrswoo Mon 19-Apr-21 16:43:34

How about a bird feeder and wild bird seed, some wild flower seeds (for planting - not for the birds!) Small garden tools and plant labels. Some lovely soap and a soap dish. Bright, colourful tea towels. Wooden spoons (always useful). Hope that helps!

Jaxjacky Mon 19-Apr-21 17:54:24

We bought my daughter light bulbs, tea towels, multi pack of loo roll, ditto kitchen roll other items I can’t recall and a lovely bunch of flowers, new vase and tipple of choice.

trisher Mon 19-Apr-21 18:03:24

I'd go the other way. Nothing practical. Favourite tipple and chocs Bath goodies for tired and overworked DIYers. A couple of cosy throws for when their heating is being fixed. Voucher for a take away meal for when they can't be bothered to cook. If you are a good cook you could include some frozen meals for them instead.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 19-Apr-21 18:20:55

Vouchers for Garden Centre and vouchers for DIY store

Or cash for either, that way they can prioritise their spending, between must haves and wants for later.

minxie Mon 19-Apr-21 18:24:10

Some fab ideas so far, I think I shall do a bit of everything Practical and indulgent for the end of a hard day. They have their work cut out so I shall need a big hamper. I’m looking forward to putting that together

midgey Mon 19-Apr-21 18:46:30

That does sound like fun to create but you could easily get spending hundreds! Practical and indulgent sounds just right.

pandapatch Mon 19-Apr-21 19:10:31

champagne and glasses!

Aepgirl Tue 20-Apr-21 11:21:16

I once made up a hamper (well it was a box!) for a wedding present for a friend. However, it can add up in price so just be aware. I put mundane things like dusters, pan scrubbers, bottle openers, measuring spoons, wooden spoons, cheese grater, and added a bottle of good wine.

It was fun to do and seemed very well received.

Arty2 Tue 20-Apr-21 11:31:45

like the idea of bird feeder etc.
How about a place to keep ALL ESSENTIAL paperwork?
A special filing cabinet/ box/ safe ?
A delivered meal for 2 on the day?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 20-Apr-21 11:32:04

Some tinned food for when the DIY leaves them starving but too tired to cook.

grandMattie Tue 20-Apr-21 11:34:28

How about getting a “blanket box” or trunk or chest, which should be useful afterwards, to fill up? I’d put both useful and indulgent things in it.

Maria59 Tue 20-Apr-21 11:40:02

One of the best presents I received was a washing up bowl filled with cleaning cloths dusters scrubbing brush etc. Very useful and I saved my money for more pretty items.

JackyB Tue 20-Apr-21 11:45:11

Hand-made or hand-drawn vouchers for an evening meal that you could cook for them - as you say, they will be very busy! You don't say if they live near though. If you think your busying in their kitchen might not work, then a voucher for a restaurant or take-away.

Dee1012 Tue 20-Apr-21 11:57:04

I did a mixture for my son and his partner...some basic tools, cleaning products etc and then some treats incl' a bottle of wine and voucher for a local restaurant.
They both said it was really nice.

mamaa Tue 20-Apr-21 12:06:49

We got a Rick Stein at Home meal sent to us for an anniversary meal during lockdown-looking at the website there are different 'menus' to choose from with prices ranging from about £40-£100. Something like this could be an idea- they might do vouchers too.

GreenGran78 Tue 20-Apr-21 12:30:27

If they have been together for a while they probably have all the bits and bobs that you don’t realise you need, until you need them! My friend was delighted with the collection of ‘stuff’ I gave her. Things like a first-aid kit, tape measure, sewing equipment, Sellotape, corkscrew, tin-opener etc.
My DD is in the middle of a house renovation, and loved the special hand cream she needs after grubbing about all day.
Maybe they would enjoy a pamper day at a Spa, when all the work is finished.

SecondhandRose Tue 20-Apr-21 13:03:28

You could buy them a hen house

HannahLoisLuke Tue 20-Apr-21 13:07:08

I’d recommend a hamper full of eco friendly, zero plastic cleaning items. There are more and more available but a company called Natural Collection stocks all the genuine plant based natural cleaners and toiletries by different manufacturers rather than those claiming to be green but still containing chemicals.

cc Tue 20-Apr-21 13:36:25

Not the most exciting present, but how about a John Lewis gift card, then they can either buy something for the home that they need or can buy food in Waitrose?
I always make up a hamper for my oldest son with lots of more expensive little foody treats that will keep, nothing fresh except perhaps for a small salami/chorizo or chunk of parmesan. I include things like a bottle of a more expensive olive oil, balsamic vinegar, unusual pasta, pesto, tinned anchovies, spices and so on.
My DD is very hard up and I sometimes do her an online grocery shop as a treat, buying her usual day-to-day items but also some tinned or bottled treats.
I used to buy my mother half bottles of wine as she didn't like to open a whole bottle just for herself.

nahsma Tue 20-Apr-21 14:07:06

A first aid box? They'll need it for all that diy and garden work! But don't buy a ready-made set, you get lots of useless bandages and a very expensive “case”. Get a plastic storage box, put in plasters, antiseptic liquid and cream, microtape and a couple dressings, paracetamol, anything your family regularly uses (we have arnica for bruises and witch hazel for spots!), and they're sorted. I did this for my kids - and several of their friends when they got their first home - and they seemed well received. It's the sort of stuff you don't buy until after the accident!

GrammaH Tue 20-Apr-21 14:23:22

What about a window feeder for the little birds? We've given these on a few occasions as house warming presents & they've been very well received

hazel93 Tue 20-Apr-21 14:33:42

The Readers Digest DIY manual. Saved us loads of dosh when starting out.