Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New home prezzie

(37 Posts)
minxie Mon 19-Apr-21 16:24:49

My son and his Girlfriend
have bought their first house together, they already live together in a tiny studio flat.
Question is I would like to make them a hamper full of bits and pieces. They have a huge garden and intend to keep chickens. The house needs lots of work.
Any ideas what to fill the hamper with. Thanks

Beanie654321 Tue 20-Apr-21 15:01:55

How about a book of one hour IOUs that they can use to ask you for help.

minxie Tue 20-Apr-21 15:57:58

Some more fabulous ideas, thanks. I shall be implementing many of these ideas. Thanks all

Yorki Tue 20-Apr-21 16:21:03

You can't go wrong with cleaning materials and practical stuff like, dish cloths, rubber gloves, tea towels and rags, wash up liquids and cleaning products, someone once did that for me, they came in so- so handy. Put into a practical plastic basket, andt jobs a gooden. ( I'm a Yorkshire Lass don't ya know) ??

hugshelp Tue 20-Apr-21 16:31:23

Oh, what a lovely idea. This will be my DD and her partner shortly, all being well. Shamelessly bookmarking for inspiration.

Seajaye Tue 20-Apr-21 16:51:51

If they have not had a garden before I would go with a variety garden tools, secateurs, gloves, ball of twine, and a watering can, maybe a nice set of outdoor 'glasses' and plates, ( all according to budget) all put in one of those colourful bendy trugs for garden cuttings, or even a wheel barrow!
Outdoor space after Covid in a small flat will be lovely for them.

Grammaretto Tue 20-Apr-21 16:59:54

A beautiful shopping basket as the hamper and fill it with small things, beautifully wrapped, like a lucky dip. any of the above selection
I liked Trisher's idea a lot.
Baskets for example:
www.johncowanbaskets.co.uk/

narrowboatnan Tue 20-Apr-21 17:07:04

If they’re serious about keeping hens, how about a copy of ‘Backyard Poultry Book’ by Andrew Singer. One of the best chicken books I’ve ever come across.

GreyKnitter Tue 20-Apr-21 17:16:40

I think I’d put a range of useful practical stuff that they will def use, even if they have some of those things now, including things for the house and garden. Think I’d also include some chocs or a bottle of something special. I love putting together gifts like this. Good luck. X

Alioop Tue 20-Apr-21 17:26:41

Lovely tea towels, wipes, pretty hand wash & lotion set. Tea bags, scrummy biscuits for tea breaks & a bottle of wine and nibbles for relaxing in evening. Maybe an cookbook with simple recipes and a couple of herbs in nice little pots for their kitchen windowsill.

4allweknow Tue 20-Apr-21 18:01:21

Before buying anything I'd ask them to check if they are allowed to keep chickens. Loads of properties, nit just new builds have Conditions on Deeds that forbidding keeping of any livestock. All being well it may be a while before chickens are on site so I'd go for some gardening utensils if this will be new to them and they don't have any already. Cleaning materials,gloves, hand soap, an air freshener and hand lotion. A few treats to celebrate eg wine, tins of beer, some fruit and snacks.

Shropshirelass Thu 22-Apr-21 09:12:51

My friend gave me a tool kit complete with fuses, the most useful gift I had!