Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Graduation Photos

(84 Posts)
teachkate Tue 25-May-21 14:33:57

When to you think it’s ok to stop displaying your children’s graduation photos? Our adult children are now 40,38 & 35.
We’re redoing our house & I’m wondering is this now the time to leave them down? ? ?

NanaCB Fri 28-May-21 06:55:18

MelBB

NanaCB

I find that many photos of my children taken in the 70s and 80s, even professional ones, have faded very badly. Having them restored professionally is very expensive so do any of you technically minded out there have any suggestions, please?

I just used my mobile phone to photograph a really old 1950s photo, then tried different filters and sent off for a copy using the Freeprints app!! It camr out really well too.

Thank you MelBB, I’ll give it a try. In contrast, I have black and white photos of my father and his sisters which are over a hundred years old and still pin sharp.

ajswan Fri 28-May-21 09:41:52

Buffybee

As you’re re-doing your house, you could put the photos in a drawer and if no-one comments on them not being on show, then it should be fine.
If someone mentions, you could always say, you haven’t got round to putting them out yet.
I doubt any of your adult children will even notice.

Mine is a slightly different problem. I am engaged to a 78 year old, I am 76. The plan is to sell my house and move into his. The problem is that there are huge photos of his two AC on the hall wall, in oval frames and I mean huge. (One now divorced). There were also two large photos of him and his late wife in the lounge, he has moved on of them. Also his two AC keep referring to the house as our Mums house. He will not move into mine or sell both houses and buy another one together. There is also a large wooden plaque in the garden called xxxxxxxxs patch, any advice please

ajswan Fri 28-May-21 09:44:20

I might add that the huge photos in the hall are his AC wedding photos from many years ago and they completely dominate the hall

Calendargirl Fri 28-May-21 09:50:26

ajswan

I might give it all a lot more thought and discussion before selling my own house....

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 28-May-21 11:31:36

Being very solidly working class, none of us obviously (apart from me aged 44 getting an MSc, no first degree) ever graduated from anything.

I think this is what they call a first world problem

bridie54 Fri 28-May-21 22:17:28

I have my daughters 2 graduation photos included in my family ‘photo wall’. Both are beautiful photos and I was and still an incredibly proud of her achievements. My son chose a different career path so no graduation but I have lovely family photos of him. If you like the photos then n keep them up. I just add more photos to my wall.

welbeck Sat 29-May-21 01:10:01

Calendargirl

ajswan

I might give it all a lot more thought and discussion before selling my own house....

i second that.
ajswan, what would you say to someone who presented that scenario to you.
i think you'd better think it out again.

ajswan Sat 29-May-21 11:03:11

Thank you so much. I did have my house sold but I have taken it off the market. We live 40 minutes away from each other, the good solution but not really practical, would be to buy my own house nearer to him. Oops sorry to change the subject of the thread