Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Torn two ways

(56 Posts)
Sarnia Thu 08-Jul-21 08:08:37

In keeping with a lot of other people I have not seen some of my family for 17 months. I have followed the rules and when Boris's roadmap was put in place I booked train tickets to go and visit my daughter and her family in Yorkshire. My daughter rang yesterday to tell me my 17 year old GD was showing Covid symptoms and a lateral flow test had come back positive. She had taken a PCR test for confirmation and the result this morning is also positive. Everyone in their house now has to isolate for 11 days. Her last day in isolation will be the day before I am due to arrive. I am longing to see them all. My youngest GD will be 18 when I am there and we have trips arranged. However, I don't feel entirely comfortable with it. One half of me says that their isolation will be over, I have had both vaccine injections and life has to get back on track but the other half thinks why take any risks? My question is, what would you do in my place?

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 09-Jul-21 11:07:13

Come to Yorkshire - see your family!

Mapleleaf Fri 09-Jul-21 11:09:50

Go. You’ve had both vaccines, and her isolation will be finished the day before. The only proviso to this would be if anyone else tests positive in the meantime and has to self isolate - then you might want to postpone for a while, otherwise, off you go, and have a lovely time.

Hil1910 Fri 09-Jul-21 11:18:45

The parameters for isolation have been set. Your family’s isolation period falls within these parameters so why would you not stay with them?

tictacnana Fri 09-Jul-21 11:21:43

Go .

sandelf Fri 09-Jul-21 11:28:23

Rather agree with [Esspee] - go after the quarantine - so long as everyone else has no symptoms and a clear test.

Daisydaisydaisy Fri 09-Jul-21 11:30:52

I would wait and see if other families members get it....I've heard 3 cases for younger people this week including My son in law...Daughter ok atm and they have 5 mth old .

Daisydaisydaisy Fri 09-Jul-21 11:31:16

*family

NannaSue1 Fri 09-Jul-21 11:46:36

Go definitely…we have still got to live our lives, enjoy your family as who know what will happen in the future

BassGrammy Fri 09-Jul-21 11:56:42

I can understand your hesitation- I think although we all want to get back to normality we are all hesitant about taking certain steps. I think I would still plan to go, but accept that if the situation changes and any more family members test positive, you may have to postpone! The good thing is that after isolation and testing it’s probably safer than many other crowded places! I think that unless we want to spend another year not doing things, we have to be brave, but careful!

Theoddbird Fri 09-Jul-21 12:08:59

Definitely go....enjoy smile

Nanette1955 Fri 09-Jul-21 12:31:22

In a heartbeat yes x

FarNorth Fri 09-Jul-21 12:42:32

Esspee

During the next 11 days any of the other family members might test positive extending the family's period of isolation.
I would postpone my visit in your place.
Clearly not a majority view but I intend to keep away from trouble. Haven't made all these sacrifices to take crazy risks now.

I agree with this view.

Although, of course, any of your relatives could have a positive result at any time while you are visiting.

Alis52 Fri 09-Jul-21 13:01:31

Assume you’ll be fine to go. Other family members may test positive but they may not. Just be prepared to alter plans at last minute but hope for the best because it will probably be fine. Being optimistic but flexible is key to enjoying life at the moment I find. Hope it works out well for you!

Boolya Fri 09-Jul-21 13:03:28

I am in a similar situation and have cancelled our visit to the NE. We will visit when we feel more comfortable with the situation, regardless of how long it may take.

Boolya Fri 09-Jul-21 13:05:05

I should also add that if we left it to last minute we would not be able to cancel our hotel bookings.

fluttERBY123 Fri 09-Jul-21 13:22:27

I would go but avoid any indoor get-togethers that are not very well ventilated and sit near the window. The risk in the circumstances you describe seems minimal but you would be lowering the risk even more, so a compromise.

welbeck Fri 09-Jul-21 15:35:59

Boolya

I am in a similar situation and have cancelled our visit to the NE. We will visit when we feel more comfortable with the situation, regardless of how long it may take.

i agree with this sensible approach.

EmilyHarburn Fri 09-Jul-21 16:04:07

Go as planned.

JdotJ Fri 09-Jul-21 16:19:30

Or don't go and don't see your family for ages and ages. Then ask for advice on Gransnet as to what you should do as you haven't seen them for so long!!!!

f77ms Fri 09-Jul-21 16:35:20

My thoughts exactly!

nadateturbe Fri 09-Jul-21 16:41:17

Difficult one. I am torn. My children came on my birthday and we hugged. I hadn't seen them for so long. I worried for a couple of weeks. We all took risks. My children flew in crowded aeroplanes. I know people will say it was completely wrong, and we are back to being very careful. But I am getting older and we decided it was a risk we wanted to take. We were careful not to go near anyone else..
Its a choice you need to make for yourself.

Alioop Fri 09-Jul-21 18:27:14

It's at the end of their isolation so I'd go and enjoy some time with your family. You have had your jabs so have a ball. Enjoy Sarnia smile

123kitty Fri 09-Jul-21 18:58:54

Just go and enjoy yourself with your family

nadateturbe Fri 09-Jul-21 19:48:30

I should say we spent two days together and loved it.

62Granny Fri 09-Jul-21 20:24:57

As they will have all been in isolation till your visit you will be safer fisting then than if they had all been out and about. Enjoy your catch up with them all and your GD 18th.