Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My predicament - it’s a long story

(42 Posts)
Mincub Wed 14-Jul-21 18:08:50

I have a bit of a problem …it’s my problem really so I understand if you don’t see where I’m coming from.
I live in social housing in a disabled bungalow stuck between two houses. I’m living here because I stood up to a terrible campaign of ASB resulting in my being victim of an attempted firebombing and ending up hospital for 14 weeks and a homeless unit for 12 weeks before the council took responsibility. I then relocated to where I am now, which was bliss. The daughter of my local councillor already on an asbo was found guilty, her father ignored the problem (she got two years later for Racially aggravated harassment to another family and bragged about running me out of town) her ‘playmate’ in crime was the grandson of another councillor who stood up at a restorative justice hearing and said I shouldn’t even be here as it was my fault for not making it easy on myself ‘as the village had problems but we deal with them ourselves ‘ and my police beat officer forged my name on a witness statement and was charged with perverting the course of justice and using a false instrument to try and cover it up. So that’s the background not only was I physically injured, (broken arm and broken back) but ended up with PTSD also.
So I promised myself don’t get involved in neighbours and everything was bearable the odd ruckus with noise to which I am hypersensitive but nothing too bad to bear. All until recently, I have two issues that are making me feel like running away.
The worst one is there are three children who are left to their own devices constantly shouted at so there’s something not right and now Into the mix comes a lady with two children one teenager and one about 6, father not about much but when he visits she tells everyone it’s her brother until the kiddy told my husband that’s my dad!?
The 6 year old constantly rides his bike up and down in front of our bungalow next to our car parking space (not on the pavement but actually in the front space of our bungalow and stands on our garden edging, leaning over our fence in our garden being egged on by the kids the other side to do tricks on his bike. I have had my roses broken off and thrown over my path and now they have taken to playing football over the top of my car backwards and forwards. It’s irritating and annoying, the eggers on are screamers and that never stops and I’ve also had a screwdriver thrown over the top of the car landing outside my window but can’t prove anything. I had a quiet word with the one mum and she said ‘ oh my boy didnt do anything it will be them’!
It wasn’t as I clearly saw him but don’t have the belly full for a ‘fight’. The other problem long-standing is an oil tank installed against my back fence with no fire boarding and just 4 metres from my bedroom. The tank leaked into my garden and we were left for 18 months before our landlord did anything, through two hot summers where the soil sizzled. We both have Bronchiectasis and are extremely clinically vulnerable, I called environmental health in the end because it got so bad and I have letters from then telling me my landlord never sought any advice. Landlord says they did, even when the fuel pipe was put in my garden on the boundary they did nothing.
My back gate broken into and the fuel pipe put in situ after me having a day at the hospital and nothing has been done even though the tank still smells. So I’m loathe to approach them over the screeching and the playing football over my car. I registered with a housing association nearer my son in Oxford but after 5 years all they can offer me is a sheltered flat or sink estates, I don’t know what to do. I’ve never been in this position before as I owned my own house before the ASB (227 crime/incidents) over 4 years sold for a pittance and made into flats. Sorry for going on but I don’t think I can take much more

Kamiso Wed 14-Jul-21 18:21:24

It sounds horrendous! Have you contacted Citizens Advice to see if they can do anything to expedite a move? Or possibly your MP? Are there other more rational neighbours that you can get together with?

When we had a problem with glue sniffers in the park opposite it was a senior police officer who spotted our (group) letter in a bin and started the ball rolling and eventually the matter was sorted. Write to anyone you can think of and hopefully one of them will have a conscience.

Esspee Wed 14-Jul-21 18:28:10

Oh my goodness, what a lot you have been through!
In your place I would be fighting to be moved, yet again.
You shouldn’t have to be the one inconvenienced but taking action against the type of people you are surrounded by will cause more trouble and extreme stress for you.
I wish you well.

lavenderzen Wed 14-Jul-21 18:32:38

What a horrible situation for you. Kamiso gives good advice. I would contact as many people as you can, Social Services, ask for a visit from the Council, Citizens Advice, the Police, your MP and anyone else you can think of.
Don't give up. Feel determined. You deserve better.
Good luck flowers

Mincub Wed 14-Jul-21 18:50:29

Thank you for such supporting messages …..I thought maybe it was just me. I don’t have a lot of faith in MPs. My MP when the horrendous behaviour was going on was Tony Blair and I met him many times, he did nothing the grandson involved was that of his right hand man and his agent said he would visit me the ‘back end of next week’ two years on Blair’s Secretary sent me a letter saying ‘ hope you keep an occasional contact with the village when you leave’. That was the solution apparently, shut up or put up or better still move on. I had a visit from the police from a sergeant who had been my best officers mentor, much aggrieved that his protege was found guilty of forgery and who said’ if you don’t shut up we will pull the cameras and Make sure you get victimised’. The cameras were in a locked fireproof box with no tape in the machine as when incidents took place technical support had to come and open the box and said many times there’s no tape in here! Eventually after fighting Blairs council to be accepted onto a council list, my allotted council officer was taken off my case and the director of services stopped my application and told me he would deal with me personally, I did move on but it started again, it was that kind of place so I relocated and my social landlord is full of self praise. I rebuilt my life here as best I could and became the HA vice chair but resigned over their dubious policies, although I did do a lot of good whilst in office as I understand how important housing is to health and welfare.

I just want a quiet life and I fear that I’m now too old, too ill and too tired to find anywhere I can just live peacefully.

It doesn’t bother my husband too much as men move on much easier than women I feel and for the most part I suffered on my own as my husband was working in Northern Ireland and wasn’t accessible, involved or bothered too much by what was going on ‘back home’.
He always says ‘ you shouldn’t lament losing everything, at least you got away, they are stuck there’! But that doesn’t really help.

I’m sorry, it has taken an awful lot to spill my ‘guts’ as I’m usually the person people ask to solve their problems, but I’m damned if I can fix this ongoing misery.?

silverlining48 Wed 14-Jul-21 19:25:11

No advice but I am sorry, it sounds just dreadful.

Infinity2 Wed 14-Jul-21 19:30:22

I am really sorry that you’re in this horrid position ?

Mincub Wed 14-Jul-21 19:41:47

Thank you both
at least that gives me hope I’m not losing my mind sad

Shel69 Wed 14-Jul-21 19:50:44

sounds awful, but sheltered housing has been offered or have I read it wrong?
my dad had a nice sheltered housing flat with a communal room etc, he had outings and other social activities if he wanted to participate, you don't need any more stress, I would look into it if its available to you, blessings

Scribbles Wed 14-Jul-21 19:59:03

Why not cut your losses and accept the sheltered flat the HA offered in Oxford? Maybe it isn't where you really want to live but it would give you a breathing space and some peace while you look for somewhere that suits you better.
I certainly think you will feel better almost anywhere but where you are.

JaneJudge Wed 14-Jul-21 20:09:46

would you be able to take the sheltered flat for the time being with a view to swap once you are there?

nadateturbe Wed 14-Jul-21 20:45:50

I would definitely take the sheltered dwelling, even temporarily. It's got to be better than where you are now.

Lolo81 Wed 14-Jul-21 21:47:27

Agree with others about the sheltered housing option. Not only will you be more likely to go into a quieter area which would hopefully help mitigate any PTSD triggers, but maybe the neighbours would be more like minded.

Is there a reason you have dismissed this option?

M0nica Wed 14-Jul-21 21:55:33

Mincub What has happened to you is appalling. Makes one understand why so many Labour seats have gone Conservative, including Blair's old seat.

I think you should seek all the help you can. But, while I have never been in a situation anywhere as troubling as yours, I did, when I worked with a community charity, meet people with housing problems caused by neighbours etc and I would try and discuss with them what solution to their problems was in their best interest, as distinct from the solution they most wanted - and there is a difference.

You may find, that what is in your best interest, is a home away from where you are now, possibly near your son, even though it is not ideally what you want.

V3ra Wed 14-Jul-21 21:55:50

What a nightmare for you.
I'd definitely look seriously into taking the sheltered flat. If nothing else there should be some support for you built in, plus you'd be near your son.
You've had enough aggravation to last a lifetime Mincub, time you had some peace of mind x

ineedamum Thu 15-Jul-21 09:02:27

I've had experience of dreadful neighbours, my windows have been smashed a few times, intimidation etc. It took over a year for me to get them evicted, the housing association were useless. They fob people off as it is easier.

I'm still weak from that, 2 years later and I don't have the strength to fight anyone again.

However, my experiences were easier than yours and I'm not surprised you haven't got the energy.

Some people aren't reasonable and don't care about others. A good parent would know what their 6 year old is up to, so my feeling is speaking to their mum won't work.

Unless you've lived near horrible people, you can't begin to imagine what's its like and it's puts your life on hold. There isn't enough support for people who are victims of anti social behaviour. It really is hell and its like dealing with a differnt class of people.

25Avalon Thu 15-Jul-21 09:15:58

You need to get out. It will not get better. As others have said maybe the sheltered accommodation is the best option at the moment. Is there no opportunity to rent a bungalow in a complex where only over 50’s are allowed? We have a lot of such properties in our area for sale but IDK about rent. Could be worth investigating.

lemsip Thu 15-Jul-21 09:16:22

Take the sheltered flat quick as you can. There will be many behind waiting for that so don't lose out, they will withdraw the offer if you delay.

Whatdayisit Thu 15-Jul-21 10:09:16

It is truly shocking how you have been treated. I can only offer sympathy and agree with everyone above.
Neighbours like these are like dealing with a pack of hyenas. I don't blame you for having no energy left to deal with it.
Good luck.
If you do stay try the MP route again you may have a good egg this time.

With the Oxford link i thought Churchill appropriate -
"When you are going through hell, keep going!".
Don't let them win it's your life.

NotSpaghetti Thu 15-Jul-21 10:20:35

Was your husband happy with the sheltered housing?
Personally I’d jump at it as there will be no ball games over your car.

You say your husband doesn’t really bother with the incidents. Can you talk to him and get some support there?

What is your son’s opinion of what’s going on?

Mincub Thu 15-Jul-21 15:43:16

Thank you, I’m overwhelmed by the kindness and the caring messages I’ve received here.
Smashing of windows or as the savages prefer to say ‘putting your windows out’, has been particularly bad in the past. 28 bricks and bottles in 24 days. Over Christmas once 13 bricks in 4 days some 3 or 4 times a night all through the night. This was costing me up to £1000 a bay window, once only in for 10 minutes before it was out again. In the end I got them boarded up and lived in the dark. One occasion when a gang of youths ran round the house smashing every window, in the doorway of the pub opposite men came out and cheered and applauded, yes men not youths!
Such was the mentality, I had Die Bitch painted on the front door and my windows shot out by ball bearing guns and boys of 13 or so sitting on the wall with a gun in one hand and a can of beer in the other, in broad daylight but nobody cared.

When the police came I was told ‘you wouldn’t even warrant a visit if you lived in Middlesbrough or Liverpool with this triviality’ which I know is totally untrue.
It was all done in the name of blame the victim, which is the easiest course of action.
I had people come to me and say behind their hands it’s always been like this here. I said they can’t smash everybody’s windows every night forever, we have to stand together, but no one stands with you…you stand alone and become a recurring victim, victimised for calling the police and by the police. I had some good officers, and they said ‘our hands are tied, but we know what goes on.’!

I have today spoken to Housing who have said my position has been re- evaluated and I am adequately housed. So I’m back at the end of the queue. My MP - aptly named Mr. Cleverley has not replied to any of my letters as yet. That’s not clever!
I won’t hold my breath…but I might buy a gun……..sorry that was gallows humour! It’s all I have left!

nadateturbe Thu 15-Jul-21 16:20:07

I think your only option is to try to get a private rental. I'm sorry for what you are suffering. I feel very lucky.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 15-Jul-21 16:41:31

Then you only have the Oxford Sheltered Housing to go to?

I would accept quickly and get clear away from the area you are in.

Mincub Thu 15-Jul-21 16:48:20

Thank you for al, your good wishes and for really caring, I’m going to really concentrate on getting out one way or another Ive had enough for one lifetime …I can see the only way is to leave them to each other and get out any way I can.
You can’t reason with them ….they’re from another planet sad

User7777 Thu 15-Jul-21 16:59:54

You poor thing... I know the torment of horrid neighbours. In the past, though, but my answer was to move. I now have CCTV which is good. Because these neihbours from hell hate being filmed. Or anyone knowing what they are up to. I do have nice neighbours now though. I was wondering as others did, about your renting privately. Or looking at mobile home communities for the over 55s. Park homes can be quite spacious and usually have a garden which you can make your own. You can live next to me anytime. You sound really lovely and thoughful