Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Woman

(614 Posts)
grannygranby Sat 31-Jul-21 11:29:39

I read this morning in a reply to an article in the evening standard that reported that pregnant people were not getting vaccinated that the term ‘pregnant people’ was used until a suitable word for the sex could be found as ‘woman’ was the name of a gender. Good grief what do you think?

lemongrove Sat 31-Jul-21 14:20:13

Doodledog

It’s ridiculous, but yet another example of the erasure of women. Or erasure of generally accepted terminology in favour of a tiny but vocal minority.

In case anyone is scratching their head wondering why anyone would want to use the term ‘pregnant people’ when clearly it is only people of the female sex who can get pregnant, it is to protect the sensitivities of pregnant women who identify as male.

I see no reason why midwives shouldn’t call transmen ‘people’ or ‘parents’ (on the rare occasions when midwives are likely to encounter people in this situation) but to change vocabulary for the rest of the population is a step too far.

Hear hear.????

Doodledog Sat 31-Jul-21 14:25:08

Hithere

Not again

Do you mean 'not again' in response to the fact that this issue has reared its head another time, or to the fact that people are discussing it on this forum?

It's impossible to tell from your post, but if you don't think that the topic is worthy of discussion, why is that? Or alternatively, if you don't think we should discuss it on here, why not?

vampirequeen Sat 31-Jul-21 14:34:44

I don't mind being female, a woman, a lady, a Miss, a Mrs, the wife or a person. They're a lot nicer than a lot of things I've been called in my life.

Ilovecheese Sat 31-Jul-21 14:37:40

Ah but you see now that some women identify as men, their feelings automatically become more important than women's feelings.

Pammie1 Sat 31-Jul-21 14:46:11

It’s very concerning that a small minority can have such influence on the rest of society. I’ve just seen a thread on another site where a woman was pulled to pieces for daring to suggest that she couldn’t fathom out what ‘tampons’ for transgender men were actually used for, and for venturing the opinion that it was unfair to allow a transgender man to compete in the Olympic women’s weightlifting team. On the subject of the latter, I read an article on this before the Olympics started and it would appear that other female contenders’ protests were dismissed out of hand - branded as ‘privileged’. I’m all for freedom of expression but is this really the way to achieve it ?

Newatthis Sat 31-Jul-21 14:51:35

Can we use 'Man' any longer or is this another example of this word being the name of a gender.

M0nica Sat 31-Jul-21 15:08:43

The patriarchy strikes back.

Maggiemaybe Sat 31-Jul-21 15:08:56

I had a bone density scan the other week and had a form to fill in beforehand. When I arrived for my appointment the radiologist advised that I needed to complete the section I’d left blank, as it was headed To be completed only by people with reproductive capacity. Being incapable of reproduction for at least the last 10 years I didn’t think it applied to me, but apparently the hospital is no longer allowed to say To be completed by women only. I was told I’m far from the only one to have been thrown by this apparent attempt to erase post-menopausal women from the population.

NanKate Sat 31-Jul-21 15:11:22

I despair of how our world is pandering to the ‘few’.

I read the other day using cutlery was seen as being racist.

It’s a mad sad world. The time will come when there will be a knock on my door by the Woke Police.

Chewbacca Sat 31-Jul-21 15:26:43

Not again

Yup, again. Do you have a problem with the subject being discussed? If so, why?

Pammie1 Sat 31-Jul-21 15:40:48

I’ve thought for a long time that if you look hard enough for something, you’ll find a reasons to find it, if you see what I mean. There is seemingly racism, sexism and countless other ‘isms’ everywhere - things I would never have dreamed of associating with being racist or sexist, are suddenly politically incorrect. It’s going to be a sad, anxious and humourless world soon.

Doodledog Sat 31-Jul-21 15:44:14

What do you see as 'politically incorrect', Pammiel? Pregnant women wanting to be called 'people' rather than female, or people objecting to the use of the term?

M0nica Sat 31-Jul-21 16:25:49

Chaucer is the latest to be outed as a racist. and mysoginist.

I suppose they have done for Shakespeare, so he was bound to be 'cancelled'. I really cannot understand why they have left Byron and Shelley out of all these cancellations, they broke every rule in the bokk left right and centre. Byron was aworld class womaniser and is said to have had a sexual relationship with his half sister.

BlueBelle Sat 31-Jul-21 16:30:59

A pregnant woman is a woman
A pregnant man is an impossibility
A man wishing to live as a woman is fine by me but he is not a child bearing woman

Doodledog Sat 31-Jul-21 16:36:27

Shakespeare has not been 'cancelled' ?

It would have been surprising if Chaucer hadn't been racist and sexist by modern standards as he was around in the 14th century.

Byron may well have been sexually incontinent, but what has any of that got to do with the thread?

AGAA4 Sat 31-Jul-21 16:55:36

I always feel like singing "I am Woman" by Helen Reddy when I see the term pregnant people and people who menstruate.

Women from the past have fought long and hard to be recognised and now we are just people to appease a few.

Ilovecheese Sat 31-Jul-21 17:06:34

MOnica wasn't that Wordsworth?

Deedaa Sat 31-Jul-21 17:20:30

I wonder if anyone keeps records of these things? There are cases where transgender men have given birth but are there enough of them to justify the removal of the term "pregnant woman"? They seem to mainly be in relationships with transwomen who obviously can't have children. Presumably if a trans man was living with a cis woman she would probably want to be the one having the babies so the numbers of "pregnant men" must be pretty low. Just wondering.

Mollygo Sat 31-Jul-21 17:39:12

Transwomen can’t give birth even if they identify as women, because they’re actually men. Transmen can give birth because they’re actually women.
Pregnant women should be allowed to be called pregnant women, but a minority are against that.

Gwyneth Sat 31-Jul-21 18:00:35

So if for example, I had had a hysterectomy and therefore do not have ‘reproductive capacity’ I would also have to leave the form blank. Reference to maggiemaybe post earlier. This is completely mad. Also I agree with what other posters have said if a pregnant woman is identifying as a man fine call them people if that’s what they feel comfortable with but why change when the majority of pregnant women are female.

welbeck Sat 31-Jul-21 18:36:26

reproductive system is part of the human body, male and female. basic biology. men have a reproductive system, so they most of them, have reproductive capacity.
the form is not correct, either logically or biologically.
and as for chest-feeding, sounds like midnight feasts in dorm from tuck boxes.

Pammie1 Sat 31-Jul-21 19:03:23

@Doodledog. I was talking about wider issues. If we carry on in this aggressive and intolerant vein I really do fear for free speech in the future.

Scribbles Sat 31-Jul-21 19:05:58

Lemongrove said: In case anyone is scratching their head wondering why anyone would want to use the term ‘pregnant people’ when clearly it is only people of the female sex who can get pregnant, it is to protect the sensitivities of pregnant women who identify as male.

Maybe I've led a sheltered life but I can't understand why a woman who identifies as male would be, or want to be, pregnant.

As Longfellow put it, whom the gods would destroy they first make mad.

Pammie1 Sat 31-Jul-21 19:08:11

I don’t understand the need to ‘cancel’ people like Shakespeare and Chaucer etc. Surely it’s about context and they were products of their environment at the time. They’re part of our past and denying them doesn’t make that any less true.

Doodledog Sat 31-Jul-21 19:24:50

I honestly don't think that either Shakespeare or Chaucer has been 'cancelled'.