Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Oral sex.

(230 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Fri 10-Sep-21 20:16:39

Perhaps I had a sheltered life but I never heard of this growing up or with any boyfriends. It wasn't until a girls holiday when I was about 40 that my friend told me she had tried it and another friend said her husband had tried but she didn't like it.
I found it hard to believe that people actually did it but now it seems one of the most common things young people do.

MerylStreep Fri 10-Sep-21 21:10:16

Kircubbin
Here starteth your first sex education class: you are not promiscuous if you enjoy oral sex fact!!!!

Farmor15 Fri 10-Sep-21 21:10:37

I always thought tongues and licking things (like old Crunchie ad) had a sexual connotation.

kircubbin2000 Fri 10-Sep-21 21:13:31

MerylStreep

Kircubbin
Here starteth your first sex education class: you are not promiscuous if you enjoy oral sex fact!!!!

I wasn't suggesting that but I dont think its right to sleep with someone you've just met and don't intend to see again. Some of the young people boast about sleeping with hundreds of people.

Jackiest Fri 10-Sep-21 21:14:58

It is not a young thing it has been around for centuries and can be found depicted in many ancient carvings around the world.

Jaxjacky Fri 10-Sep-21 21:15:11

Farmor15 was it the Cadbury’s Flake? ‘Only the crumbliest, tastiest chocolate tastes like chocolate never tasted before’.
Bit of a worry I can remember that……?

Sweetpeasue Fri 10-Sep-21 21:17:43

Most of my sex education came from furtive readings of my mam's (yes we pronounced it different up north--never mum) Woman's Own problem pages. I remember feeling a bit scared and had no idea what 'heavy petting' was. - - ugly word.
As far as Oral sex, it wasn't mentioned, as I remember, then in Woman's Own pages though very explicitly detailed now.
Each to their own.

Farmor15 Fri 10-Sep-21 21:18:56

Jaxjacky - that’s the ad I meant- with the girl on bike!

Jaxjacky Fri 10-Sep-21 21:19:03

The number of people someone says they’ve had sex with may well be a big boastful fib.

Sago Fri 10-Sep-21 21:21:02

This post reminds me of a holiday I endured with my Mother and MIL it was when Clinton was accused of having an affair with Monica Lewinsky.
The newspaper’s kept referring to a BJ, MIL asked what it meant, my mother piped up that she didn’t know either.
I had the joy of explaining……” do you think people in England do it” asked MIL “Surely not said my mother..

I kept tight lipped.
No pun intended. ?

Sweetpeasue Fri 10-Sep-21 21:25:46

Sago

This post reminds me of a holiday I endured with my Mother and MIL it was when Clinton was accused of having an affair with Monica Lewinsky.
The newspaper’s kept referring to a BJ, MIL asked what it meant, my mother piped up that she didn’t know either.
I had the joy of explaining……” do you think people in England do it” asked MIL “Surely not said my mother..

I kept tight lipped.
No pun intended. ?

??

ElaineI Fri 10-Sep-21 21:28:48

It's normal, been around for years. People just don't go on about it! Actually very effective though you need to make certain decisions if you give it to a man wink

MerylStreep Fri 10-Sep-21 21:29:35

kircubbin2000

MerylStreep

Kircubbin

I wasn't suggesting that but I dont think its right to sleep with someone you've just met and don't intend to see again. Some of the young people boast about sleeping with hundreds of people.

So why did you write ^ non of my friends lived a promiscuous life^?
To be frank I think your outlook on young peoples sex lives and your own views are very un healthy.

ElaineI Fri 10-Sep-21 21:34:20

How many young people do you discuss sex with kirkubbin? Clearly ones who sleep with hundreds of people! Or are you exaggerating something overheard?

Galaxy Fri 10-Sep-21 21:37:53

Have you been talking to Rod Stewart maybe?

ElaineI Fri 10-Sep-21 21:38:46

Anyway what has oral sex got to do with sleeping with someone you have just met and don't intend seeing again? There are 2 different themes here.

Scones Fri 10-Sep-21 21:41:17

Galaxy

Have you been talking to Rod Stewart maybe?

Or that young whippersnapper Tom Jones? Casanova perhaps?

Shinamae Fri 10-Sep-21 21:43:14

My personal opinion of this activity is………yuk!!!
Mind you I think I’m probably asexual and have been celibate for nearly 30 years but still entitled to my opinion…(because I did engage in it both giving and receiving) I mean whoever thought it would be a good idea to do this, probably the Romans! ?

Scones Fri 10-Sep-21 21:46:52

For people who can't have penetrative sex, perhaps due to the problems that arise after the menopause, then oral sex can be a source of ongoing intimacy and pleasure in a relationship.

Oral sex is like Marmite. Well, it's not really like Marmite, but you know what I mean.

Galaxy Fri 10-Sep-21 21:48:39

grin

nadateturbe Fri 10-Sep-21 21:48:59

I kept tight lipped.
No pun intended. ?

grin grin

Lizzie72 Fri 10-Sep-21 21:53:18

Oral sex is like Marmite. Well, it's not really like Marmite, but you know what I mean
grin

nadateturbe Fri 10-Sep-21 21:53:41

I must say I knew nothing about it and I was a sixties teenager. In fact I knew nothing about kissing with tongues in mouths either until I was 46! yuk to both!

nadateturbe Fri 10-Sep-21 21:55:26

MayBeMaw

Well it makes a change from discussing washing up cloths confused

Or duvet covers smile

Sweetpeasue Fri 10-Sep-21 21:58:28

I can see, I think, where the Op is coming from. As a woman in early 60s I do believe that the present younger generation is probably far more aware of sexual techniques and practises than we were at their age. I think they're probably also under more pressure, the use of mobile phones in school age children and online stuff is disturbing.
But I don't think it's right to make judgements on someone else's sexual behaviour. We perhaps might question it, in out own minds, but it's not fair to openly criticise the behaviour of consenting adults.

tanith Fri 10-Sep-21 22:26:25

kittylester

Not knowing about oral sex is a weird concept for someone who lived through the 1960s.

Totally agree, I’m amazed at some of the comments here some seem very naive. Sheltered lives indeed.