Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How far do you travel?

(58 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Wed 15-Sep-21 13:15:46

Today one of my groups ,chat and coffee,resumed.It was nice to get back and catch up but before I left I thought this is a long way to drive just for a chat. It is 12 miles away!
Before lockdown I drove to this town 2 or 3 times a week and thought nothing of it.
Unfortunately we were not allowed in the kitchen which seems a stupid rule as we cleaned up in the main hall and kept social distance etc.
How far are you happy to go for your activities?

Barmeyoldbat Wed 06-Oct-21 16:02:43

Mr Barmey and I travel weekly from just outside Bristol 51 miles to attend a further education class in Pontypridd. We could find a class in Bristol but it would take me the same time and involve s bus which I am not willing to use. Local trips are done by bike

silverlining48 Wed 06-Oct-21 16:11:37

Having only just been able to fill the tank after 12 days without petrol, we judge any potential trip very carefully given many garages are still closed in this area (SE). We did 15 today with another 15 later to celebrate birthday with dd Feeling extravagant but of course it’s worth it.

muse Wed 06-Oct-21 16:19:16

Rural Cornwall and have to drive everywhere. Nearest bus stop would take me 30 mins to walk to.

We now have a local village with a community hall so I drive 3 miles (7 mins) to classes there. Once a month I travel 18 miles for craft class (30 mins). The latter hasn't started up again - yet!

Really missed the company in these classes.

CafeAuLait Wed 06-Oct-21 21:55:43

I prefer to keep my activities within a half hour drive. Depending what it is though, an hour is okay. 12 miles would be nothing to me.

BlueBelle Wed 06-Oct-21 22:15:29

As far as my legs will take me on my cycle but not that much really all my activities happen in my town unless I go for a city visit or shopping trip I have everything nearby for the most part

JenniferEccles Thu 07-Oct-21 09:36:28

Isn’t it wonderful to have our freedom back to go where we want, when we want?

For so long we were limited to just going for walks locally, and although I knew we were lucky here compared to other European countries, I was delighted when we were able to drive somewhere for exercise.

Now all restrictions like that are lifted, it’s great to be spontaneous with days out, childcare commitments permitting!

I would say fifty miles or so is far enough to travel for a day out, and for us that enables us to easily get to the South coast as well as a variety of NT properties.

henetha Thu 07-Oct-21 09:41:53

Unusually, I recently drove 80 miles for a short break of three days and then drove back again. I had been a little worried but it was fine, except for very heavy rain on the way back.