Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How far do you travel?

(57 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Wed 15-Sep-21 13:15:46

Today one of my groups ,chat and coffee,resumed.It was nice to get back and catch up but before I left I thought this is a long way to drive just for a chat. It is 12 miles away!
Before lockdown I drove to this town 2 or 3 times a week and thought nothing of it.
Unfortunately we were not allowed in the kitchen which seems a stupid rule as we cleaned up in the main hall and kept social distance etc.
How far are you happy to go for your activities?

MayBeMaw Wed 15-Sep-21 15:09:44

I go 10 miles or so to Bedford twice a week for my Art History etc classes or to meet a friend for a coffee or lunch. It’s an easy cross country drive and usually takes just under 30 minutes. Would I go much further? Maybe not on a regular basis.

Riverwalk Wed 15-Sep-21 15:41:27

Isn't it lovely to be back in the thick of things!

I live in inner London so most of my activities are within walking distance - today was the new term of my jazz dancing class and it's a five-minute walk away, so can't complain.

Being in a city I judge by time rather than distance so really wouldn't want to spend more than 30 minutes getting anywhere for regular activities.

tanith Wed 15-Sep-21 15:47:29

I too live in London I’d not travel very far for a regular activity I go probably 3/4 miles for a coffee meet-up but I’m not sure how long 12 miles would take in London traffic.

AGAA4 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:50:08

Most activities are in the town 6 miles away so not far.

NotSpaghetti Wed 15-Sep-21 17:11:52

I'm happy to travel if I want to go.
As I'm quite hostile to doing things regularly I can't really say how far I'd travel for something weekly.

I do go regularly once a year to a consultant in London which involves trains tube and a lift/bus. It takes all day and is 100 plus miles.

My dentist (several times a year) is 45 mins away by car...

SueDonim Wed 15-Sep-21 17:21:20

It’s 20+ miles to a city for us which we used to do weekly. Now so many shops are shut, there’s less reason to go. I have to drive four or five miles to the nearest shop anyway. We do a 120 miles round trip to the dentist. That’s rural living for you!

TerriBull Wed 15-Sep-21 19:28:14

We moved out of the edge of London this year, 30 miles south to Surrey/Sussex borders close to a largish market town. Strangely I found driving in the suburbs nothing like as hairy as some of the lovely country lanes/roads where I live now. Quieter they may be but there are drivers that literally career round corners, who seem to think they have the road to themselves and almost appear surprised that a vehicle could be approaching in the opposite direction, that's the impression I get. So right now, I'm really only travelling a few miles to go to supermarkets, into my local town and to a health club I've joined recently and with a certain amount of caution.!

CanadianGran Wed 15-Sep-21 19:37:45

We are very isolated, and it is 7 minutes from one end of town to another, and we have very few reasons to leave town. "Meet you for coffee downtown? See you in 3 minutes."

However we have 8 hours drive to any major city. So pros and cons to living in the north.

While visiting friends and relatives in the south, I do find they think nothing of driving 20 minutes to go to a movie or visit a friend. I would find that tiresome.

Grandmabatty Wed 15-Sep-21 19:58:05

Today I travelled fifteen miles to my art class which has restarted. Then visited my ds in the same town and fifteen miles back. I'll do that every week. I am happy to do it as I enjoy the class and missed it during lockdown. It's motorway most of the way so it takes about twenty minutes each way.

Chardy Wed 15-Sep-21 20:08:12

How far are you prepared to travel woild normally be measured in miles (apologies for stating the obvious) but ten miles in London is a long way, ten miles in Devon is up the road.

Kim19 Wed 15-Sep-21 21:01:37

I do a weekly round trip of fifty miles for lunch with a group of friends. This will only discontinue if I stop enjoying it or lose my ability to drive. I used to take a bus (for free) but gave up public transport after covid.

Callistemon Wed 15-Sep-21 21:09:14

I used to go 15 miles to yoga, DH goes 18 miles to one of his clubs. Otherwise about 3 or 4 miles although we meet up for lunch regularly (or did, pre-Covid) about 27 miles away (central point).

but ten miles in London is a long way, ten miles in Devon is up the road.
75 miles in Australia is popping along the road to visit a friend.

kircubbin2000 Wed 15-Sep-21 21:26:31

I had a Canadian friend who couldn't get over how insular we are. In Canada she would think nothing of a 100mile plus to go to a party or visit friends.

Georgesgran Wed 15-Sep-21 21:34:06

Always travelled - I was the Mum who picked up all the kids after a night out and dropped them off in a 50 mile radius. DDs school run was also a 40+ mile round trip for 15 years, so that area became a focal point for their socializing too. They’re now both married and again 25 miles away in that area - about 20 minutes drive on a good day. I’m up and down several times a week - sometimes twice in a day, depending on what’s needed.

I don’t consider that ‘far’.

Esspee Wed 15-Sep-21 23:31:31

We travel 20+ miles a few times a week to sail or to meet up with friends. I am a stay close to home type but OH is always on the move.

agnurse Thu 16-Sep-21 03:25:42

I travel 1 hour each direction daily for work. Hubby's commute ranges from 10 minutes to the same as mine (He works as a security guard and right now is doing LFTs for COVID; his work sites vary).

Keep in mind that in Canada we have a smaller population and a much larger geographic area, meaning that we have substantially more distance between some communities. FIL was gobsmacked when he saw how much open, unspoiled countryside we have here.

NotAGran55 Thu 16-Sep-21 07:51:03

Our favourite restaurant is 39 miles away and we think nothing of going there at the drop of a hat . Dentist is 21 miles , favourite place to mooch and shop is 21 miles . Football is 16 miles .

I frequently go to places an hours drive away on impulse, but I love driving so it’s not a problem.

When I was young , single and had a lot of time I often used to drive out to places on a whim just for the fun of the trip and to see what was there.
I particularly like driving through London and even did when when I was a learner driver.

tanith Thu 16-Sep-21 09:28:44

I’d love to enjoy driving around London again my home town but it’s never a pleasure anymore the amount of traffic at any time makes it nightmarish. It’s not about miles it’s the time it can take to travel a couple of miles.

nanna8 Thu 16-Sep-21 09:57:08

We travel a lot normally when we are not locked down. Anything up to about 100 km is just local as far as we are concerned. I think this is typical of Australians though, probably similar to Canadians.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Sep-21 09:59:17

We are trying more and more to be aware of how much carbon we are putting into the system so have begun to limit the use of the car.

So now walk the dog from home rather than go to the river every day, and try to be mindful at other times .

Redhead56 Thu 16-Sep-21 09:59:31

I live in leafy outskirts of Liverpool I only drive about ten miles around the area where I live. I don’t like to travel on my own too far I did when I was younger and working on the Wirral no problem. I think I developed this phobia as I call it slowly over time. I cannot explain it but it’s just the way I am these days.

henetha Thu 16-Sep-21 10:15:29

I regularly drive to Newton Abbot about 5 miles away. Yesterday I went to Torquay, about 10 miles. I sometimes go to Exeter or Plymouth, 20/30 miles. I drive over Dartmoor sometimes, various miles. I enjoy driving further for holidays etc.
I don't do any of these as much as I used to, other than Newton Abbot, - covid, old age tiredness, planet damage awareness, etc.

Kartush Thu 16-Sep-21 10:56:57

I used to travel 16 miles to work every day so goingbthat far for a chat would be fine

Joesoap Thu 16-Sep-21 10:59:50

I travelled hundreds of miles recently to the UK from Sweden,it was wonderful to be able to do this again,I visited my old home town Liverpool, and was delighted to be in a big City again with the hustle and bustle,it was a lovely experience which I didnt realised I had missed so much.
I am longing to do it again.