Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How often do you shower/bathe?

(162 Posts)
Newquay Mon 20-Sep-21 09:15:10

We had bath taken out and a lovely walk in shower installed.
I tend to shower and wash hair every other day.
Although I like feeling fresh and doing hair I’m beginning to find the whole thing a right performance especially cleaning down the screen and floors afterwards.
Sometimes DH goes in after me so he does it then.

nadateturbe Thu 23-Sep-21 12:42:58

When I use bubble bath I wipe round the sides with a sponge before I get out. And a quick rinse does it. Much easier than shower.

nadateturbe Thu 23-Sep-21 12:45:21

The water doesn't really get dirty.

3nanny6 Thu 23-Sep-21 12:56:56

I have the walk in shower and have a shower every day. In the summer on hot days when we have them I shower in morning and if hot and sticky also shower before bed.
I wash my hair every third day,
I used to love the bath and would have a good soak with plenty of scented candles placed around the bath however with back problems and sciatica I could no longer push myself up and get out of the bath as lower back was fragile.
I have learnt to live with it now.

grannyactivist Thu 23-Sep-21 13:09:46

What I’d like to know is how does the mat in my shower get dirty? I’ts extremely rare that I’m ‘dirty’ when I get in the shower (the exception being when I’ve been on the allotment in the rain), I use soap and shampoo then rinse the blooming cubicle - so where does the muck on the mat come from?

It’s a puzzlement! ?

rafichagran Thu 23-Sep-21 13:11:56

Shower twice a day, I dont feel clean otherwise.

SpringyChicken Thu 23-Sep-21 14:40:02

We shower every morning and take turns to dry the walls and screen with a Karcher and microfibre cloth. I clean it properly once per week with cleaning spray and buff it with the towels that are about to go in the wash. Being in a soft water area, there is no limescale.

Caleo Thu 23-Sep-21 17:38:29

Very interesting discussion and topic! I have a wet room which I clean with a large scoop of water followed by a little thick bleach thrown on the floor. I then use a soft broom to wipe it all towards the plug hole. I use a little wad of toilet paper to wile up the wet dust and fluff near the plug hole and out it down the toilet, then I use an old towel and a stiff broom to dry the floor.

The tiles are wiped down with bathroom cleaner and old towel and only around the mucky areas near where splashes and drips go.

Jaibee007 Sat 25-Sep-21 18:43:44

Bath and hair wash 2 or 3 times a week, rinse down Bath - have a wash on the other days - live alone and don't go out every day so this works for me - hate wasting water, but don't have a shower

Newquay Tue 28-Sep-21 09:09:13

How interesting! Thank you! I’ll certainly try the Aldi spray.
It’s just that I find the whole thing-washing/drying hair after cleaning shower such a faff! Ho hum!

MayBeMaw Tue 28-Sep-21 09:23:15

Caleo

Very interesting discussion and topic! I have a wet room which I clean with a large scoop of water followed by a little thick bleach thrown on the floor. I then use a soft broom to wipe it all towards the plug hole. I use a little wad of toilet paper to wile up the wet dust and fluff near the plug hole and out it down the toilet, then I use an old towel and a stiff broom to dry the floor.

The tiles are wiped down with bathroom cleaner and old towel and only around the mucky areas near where splashes and drips go.

I’m afraid that sounds like an incredible faff to me!

A quick spray with Method daily shower shine and leave.

jocork Tue 28-Sep-21 13:16:09

silverlining48

Once a week....

Glad I'm not the only one! Sometimes more if weather very hot or if I've been more active than usual or going somewhere special (a rarity in these covid times) but it seems more and more of a faff as you get older. I daren't have a bath as the last time I did I needed help getting out. Thankfully my daughter was to hand and I hadn't locked the bathroom door! As I mostly live alone I won't be repeating that experience.

jocork Tue 28-Sep-21 13:32:25

MayBeMaw

My mum used to refer to a “stand up wash” as a “lick and a promise”
How she could get stand on one leg her feet into the sink was an image I would rather forget.

My mum washed like that for years as she lived alone and couldn't have a bath without someone around as she suffered from epilepsy so could have a fit in the bath and drown. Even when much younger I struggled to wash my feet in the washbasin. Trying that now would be interesting but probably very dangerous!

silverlining48 Tue 28-Sep-21 13:51:26

My Nan only had just one cold tap in the house. It was in the scullery where they also washed the dirty dishes, their clothes and hair.
She never had a bath in her 95 years but washed every day using water heated on the stove. What’s more I don’t think deodorant was invented yet she always smelled fresh and clean. I think feet were dealt with using a bowl of water.
As a child we bathed and had a hair wash ( and clean underwear!) once a week, generally using the same water as other family members. The toilet at the end of the garden...many spiders....am really showing my age. wink

Craftycat Fri 01-Oct-21 21:30:24

I shower every morning & have a bath about 3 times a week in the evening. I like to take a book with me. I love reading in the bath with lots of bubbles.

Smurf52 Tue 05-Oct-21 16:54:48

I shower twice a week. The rest of the time I just wash pits and bits.

marymary62 Tue 05-Oct-21 17:07:49

Yes don’t overdo those chemicals ! My sis in law just uses a window scraper type thing after each shower and it seems fine . My husband uses the quadrant shower when he showers - every other day maybe and it’s a real pain to clean (he does it though ... so only when it’s horrid !) the shower I use just has one flat glass door and that is way easier to clean - just a quick wipe with mirror fibre cloth. Rarely use sprays as can’t stand them but on occasion I use the dettol spray on mould remover and it’s fab. I don’t shower as much as I did when I worked but usually it’s at least every other day , hair is only once a week now - the less I’ve washed it the less it needs and I’m super lazy and it’s long enough to just tie it up !

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 17:28:54

MissAdventure

I'd never dream of asking someone in person how often they bath or shower.
Frankly, I don't care.

Me neither, and am just waiting for someone to write.....
‘Once a year, whether I need it or not’!?

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 17:30:04

On the subject of cleaning in the bathroom, a shower is much easier to keep clean than a bath IMHO.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Oct-21 17:58:36

OK Lemon, let me make your day! Only once a year, whether I need it or not!???
Actually I find the shower more of a pain to clean than the bath (annually of course).

grannyqueenie Tue 05-Oct-21 18:11:57

There’s nothing quite like a Gransnet thread like this to make me think that my dedication to domestic tasks may be sadly lacking. Yet it all looks absolutely fine to me. Oh and yes I do shower every day!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Oct-21 18:38:44

I always find it best to look around the house without my specs gq. I only put them on when visitors are expected ?

Lincslass Tue 05-Oct-21 18:42:08

lemongrove

MissAdventure

Frankly, I don't care.

Me neither, and am just waiting for someone to write.....
‘Once a year, whether I need it or not’!?

????

grannyqueenie Tue 05-Oct-21 18:57:04

Very good advice gsmum! ?

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 20:05:44

lincs I thang kew! However can’t claim it for mine own, as it’s attributed ( quite wrongly am sure) to Queen Elizabeth (Tudor!)

That was so obliging of you Germanshepherdsmum ?we are really going to have to shorten your name btw.

Callistemon Tue 05-Oct-21 20:42:37

MissAdventure

Frankly, I don't care.

I don't mind telling you that I haven't had a bath for at least 18 months, MissA

I just can't be bothered ?