Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How often do you shower/bathe?

(162 Posts)
Newquay Mon 20-Sep-21 09:15:10

We had bath taken out and a lovely walk in shower installed.
I tend to shower and wash hair every other day.
Although I like feeling fresh and doing hair I’m beginning to find the whole thing a right performance especially cleaning down the screen and floors afterwards.
Sometimes DH goes in after me so he does it then.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Oct-21 22:04:26

Good on you! stinker grin

Callistemon Tue 05-Oct-21 22:06:51

?

quin12 Thu 14-Oct-21 16:03:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Oct-21 17:30:55

Reported.

Luckygirl Thu 14-Oct-21 17:47:46

I am sure that you would be shocked if I told you how seldom I shower. I feel very insecure in the shower as I am very short-sighted; I do not bath as I cannot get in and out without pain.

I also cannot be bothered to wash my hair more frequently than it needs - and it is hard not to finish up washing your hair when you are in the shower.

I think it is possible to wash too much! - seriously, your skin has its own eco-system which does not need to be disturbed every day!

I do not wash down my shower with anything except water - I have a biodigester which does not like bleach, and, even if I was on mains drainage, our rivers do not need all this dreadful stuff discharged into them.

And using showers every day is wasteful of water, wasteful of power to heat the water, and accumulates plastic waste from the bottle of stuff used.

I do not smell - I use a very good deodorant stick (Mitchum unscented), each day I wash what my mother called "the bits that matter", and I inspect my clothes for any smells before I put them on. No-one has complained of me being dirty or smelly. I have an ultra sensitive nose and would notice this myself.

I do not think all this washing is needed.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Oct-21 18:24:45

shock
I'm horrified!
Nah, not really.
One of the most youthful women I know baths or showers rarely, and she has marvellous skin.

Luckygirl Thu 14-Oct-21 22:36:13

I am very lucky indeed to have non-wrinkly skin - it is part heredity, partly never smoking, but also I think due to the fact that I have always only used water on my face. No soap. I stick a bit of Olay on it each morning and that is it.

I really do think that many people simply wash too much - use too much hot water - use too many "products" (most of which are advert-generated in terms of "need"). It is not as if most of us are doing manual jobs that make us drip in sweat.

I can see that someone in a manual job would need to shower each day, but mostly folk are washing off nothing!

MissAdventure Thu 14-Oct-21 23:04:41

Exactly what the woman I mentioned says.
Washing away all the natural oils, then paying a fortune trying to replicate them.

Callistemon Thu 14-Oct-21 23:09:03

A hairdresser I used to go to said we wash our hair far too frequently; she said once a week is enough but conceded that twice is ok.

Esspee Thu 14-Oct-21 23:20:41

I have a bath once or twice a day finishing with a shower twice a week when washing my hair. Our water is beautifully soft so doesn’t mark the shower enclosures much at all. As a result I clean them when I notice they need it.
I cannot understand why anyone would need to wash their hair daily unless they had a dirty job (like coal mining).

Luckygirl Fri 15-Oct-21 09:15:12

I have a bath once or twice a day - you can't be serious!!!