Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you believe everything you are told?

(127 Posts)
Calmlocket Sun 07-Nov-21 08:37:43

Do you believe something because some people have told you it’s true, even though by simple research on your own you would find it is not, so you just believe them instead of doing the research, why?

Baggs Sun 07-Nov-21 11:25:09

There are some really good responses on this thread. It's actually fun to read.

eazybee Sun 07-Nov-21 12:42:24

The older I get the more cynical I become, so I don't believe everything I am told.
It isn't that most people are deliberate liars, they simply are economical with the truth, as in the case of Owen Paterson, whom I believed, initially.
(But you cannot research gossip!)

Hithere Sun 07-Nov-21 12:50:06

I agree with cafe au lait

lemsip Sun 07-Nov-21 13:25:52

No. I am an old cynic....I like to 'google'' to check it out.

lemsip Sun 07-Nov-21 13:40:02

To clarify; Note I used the word 'google' loosely

Cabbie21 Sun 07-Nov-21 14:08:28

My mother had a kind neighbour, but mum used to say she took everything she said with a pinch of salt. Not that she was a liar, but she somehow twisted the truth or distorted reality. Some people are like that, and you learn not to believe all they say. Others are blatantly dishonest. So, no, I don’t believe everything people say. If it is important to me, I will check it out.

Missedout Sun 07-Nov-21 15:43:23

I wonder how many are aware that interested parties pay Google to ensure that their websites take precedence when key words are searched?

If you use a different browser and search engine other than 'Google' you will find a different set of 'top' hits.
(For example 'Google' Molnupiravir - the anti Covid pill and you will get a different 'top hit' than if you use a different search engine such as DuckDuckGo.) Yes - I know 'Google' is bigger and more comprehensive and you won't always get enough information from a different search engine but there is less bias too.

Google has become synonymous with search engines but cannot be relied on. I would always consider what motivates the interested parties to pay to come top of the list if their information could be controversial in any way.

Smileless2012 Sun 07-Nov-21 16:22:25

It depends what it is and whose telling me.

Judy54 Sun 07-Nov-21 17:52:33

Yes as Smileless says it depends on what is being said and who is telling you. How much is it possible to research especially if it is something trivial. If your Friend tells you she is unwell, her Daughter is pregnant, her Son's Wife has left him how can that be researched? It is hardly headline hitting news in the daily paper.

Chewbacca Sun 07-Nov-21 18:12:29

As others have said, it all depends who's telling you what and how well you know them. If it's a random on the internet; who knows whether they're telling the truth or just their version of the truth? So those.... I dismiss.

LadyStardust Sun 07-Nov-21 18:19:19

Someone said to me once - " Did you know that the word gullible isn't actually in the English dictionary?" My reply, much to my embarrassment was - "really?" Because my friend was a trustworthy person, my immediate reaction was to accept what she said! Of course after a few seconds I realised it was a joke. Never lived that one down! grin

PollyTickle Sun 07-Nov-21 18:28:35

I like that one LadyStardust, just tried it out on my husband, hmmm.
No I don’t believe very much of what I read or hear. If it’s important to me I’ll check it at the right source.
Medical, ask a doctor.
Science. Ask a scientist
If I want to be bamboozled I’ll ask Gransnet. So many experts.

Alegrias1 Sun 07-Nov-21 18:45:26

But Polly, some of us are doctors and some of us are scientists ?

PollyTickle Sun 07-Nov-21 19:00:26

That’s why I always respect your opinion on scientific matters Alegrias.

PollyTickle Sun 07-Nov-21 19:04:43

What I don’t like are the threads where unqualified people continue to feed out incorrect information and others with equal lack of knowledge continue to support. Someone with knowledge comes on and disagrees and everyone gets upset by the argument. Doesn’t happen often but often enough to be a concern.

VioletSky Sun 07-Nov-21 19:09:37

Nope

I look into any headline or statement that elicits a strong emotional response. It usually turns out be nonsense.

If those sharing those statements/headlines are unable to see the truth of the situation it's because the truth does not suit their world view in some way.

Peoples fears are often played on too to gain support against marginalised people/demographics or simply to allow someone to keep profiting at other expense.

lemongrove Sun 07-Nov-21 20:17:46

PollyTickle

I like that one LadyStardust, just tried it out on my husband, hmmm.
No I don’t believe very much of what I read or hear. If it’s important to me I’ll check it at the right source.
Medical, ask a doctor.
Science. Ask a scientist
If I want to be bamboozled I’ll ask Gransnet. So many experts.

Haha, yes, exactly.
Of course on a forum anyone can say they are anything.
Best to take it with a pinch of salt.

Calistemon Sun 07-Nov-21 20:53:54

Do you believe everything you are told?
Yes, absolutely.

The Tooth Fairy said it was fine.

lemongrove Sun 07-Nov-21 21:20:11

??????

Deedaa Sun 07-Nov-21 21:30:40

I check anything that seems unlikely to me. I start with Google and if it's something that isn't just a straight fact I pick several of the suggested references and decide which seems most reliable. If it's science I just ask DD.

Calmlocket Mon 08-Nov-21 07:50:14

Alegrias1

And some of us are just know it alls! ???????

Hetty58 Mon 08-Nov-21 07:56:20

Calmlocket, you'd have to be daft to just blindly believe everything. I wouldn't bother to fact check unless it was important, though - simply don't have the time.

People say they 'research' without knowing what it really is. Looking things up on Google isn't researching!

Alegrias1 Mon 08-Nov-21 08:15:46

Calmlocket

Alegrias1

And some of us are just know it alls! ???????

Sometimes it's hard to tell on here if someone is trying to make a joke, or is being unpleasant. ?

I'd rather be a know it all than a know nothing. Ha ha.

ayse Mon 08-Nov-21 08:31:48

No, I don’t believe everything I’m told. Again it depends on who is giving the information. I’m aware that everyone has their own beliefs which will influence what they believe. The vaccine conspiracists et al. use real documents etc. and take them out of context to produce their world view. Just to note that even scientists and the medical profession do not always agree with each other.

Searching for info on the net is not easy. I use both Google and DuckDuckGo to search for documents produced by recognised organisations. Always check at the bottom of a website to see the publisher and update details. If it doesn’t have anything it could be suspect.

For closer friends and family I believe they believe what they are telling me, generally speaking.

As for social media and the press they are all biased one way or another. I prefer more independent journalism rather than the popular press.

There is no such thing as the absolute truth!

henetha Mon 08-Nov-21 09:59:31

It depends what and who. But generally I'm cynical and don't believe anything I'm told.