Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

washing machine advice please

(28 Posts)
Liz46 Wed 05-Jan-22 12:00:27

Hi, I would be very grateful for some help. My washing machine is about 6 years old and is misbehaving. I don't think it is worth paying for a repair. I have been trying to find a machine that has a short cycle for lightly soiled clothes but a 1600 spin. Is there such a thing?

Obviously I sometimes want a hotter wash for bedding and towels.

annodomini Wed 05-Jan-22 18:43:53

I hope I won't put a jinx on my Zanussi by extolling its reliability. It does a 1400 spin, a 30 minute short programme and takes 6kg which is perfectly adequate for my single person household. Temperatures are easy to set and it doesn't take all day to do a 60 degree cotton wash. I know there is a newer version of my model as my son has one and it doesn't seem any more complicated.

Trisha57 Wed 05-Jan-22 19:10:09

My Hotpoint has two short cycles for quick wash. One is a 60 minute at 60 degrees with a fast 1600 spin and the other is a 30 minute wash at 30 degrees with an 800 spin. However, I have recently discovered that if I use the 60 minute wash with the faster spin, I can turn down the temperature to 30 degrees and it will take 36 minutes, with the advantage of the 1600 spin so that the washing can be tumbledried much quicker. Hope that makes sense! It is a Hotpoint Ultima which we have had for about 10 years and still going strong. The only other programmes I use are the Coloureds wash and the Bedding and Towelling wash, both of which are quite quick with a fast spin.