Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Oestrogen pessaries

(33 Posts)
honeyrose Thu 20-Jan-22 08:30:08

Has anyone used Oestrogen pessaries please? I recently had a hysteroscopy under general anaesthetic as I had some bleeding several years after the menopause. Fortunately, no malignancy was found, but I have been diagnosed with post menopausal atrophy and was advised (by letter) that I may benefit from Oestrogen pessaries (Vagifem) twice weekly. I feel a bit doubtful about such a treatment. Has anyone any knowledge of the benefits/possible drawbacks please? I’m 66.

Ohmother Wed 02-Feb-22 20:45:21

Have you seen the latest news? They’re going to be sold over the counter.

TillyTrotter Wed 02-Feb-22 21:02:08

Vagirux are £40 for 24 tablets and one applicator.

Shylindyloo Fri 09-Dec-22 16:49:45

I’ve just joined this Forum and wanted to add my comments about Estradiol Pessaries. I’m 8 weeks in and have been so tired and hungry after starting on them.
I’m slowly coming off them. I was put on because of vaginal atrophy (which has cleared up)

Oreo Fri 09-Dec-22 17:26:07

Vaginal atrophy doesn’t clear up, if only it did.
The Estradiol has helped is all.
They are brilliant btw and most women don’t have side effects.
I’ve used them for years.You start with a high dose or daily use then drop down to a few times a week.

Purplepixie Fri 09-Dec-22 17:29:07

I have to use them before my colposcopy in March and I hope they are going to be ok. I have read the posts and mostly seem ok.

Coolgran65 Fri 09-Dec-22 21:16:20

I used the vagifem pessaries for some time which helped a bit but especially not for a tiny area just at the entrance which tore and bled when I got my 3 monthly internal. I was squealing during the examination. Sex was impossible. GP referred me to a gynae consultant and he quite simply changed me to Estradiol cream which is inserted via an applicator with instructions to also smear some at the entrance. This was perfect and all is now good.

Ali23 Fri 09-Dec-22 22:04:07

I chose not to continue with an oestrogen cream for atrophy as I have a history of endometriosis and am not happy with adding oestrogen into the mix again.
A urinogynaecology physio suggested an organic lubricant called Yes VM as an alternative. It suits me fine.

I think its worth reading up on vaginal atrophy and its long term implications. This has convinced me to use the lubricant - it’s about much more than sexual activity.