Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Post breast cancer op 'present'

(73 Posts)
kittylester Thu 07-Apr-22 14:59:57

DD1 is due to have this done next Tuesday and I was wondering if there is a 'present' we can send her immediately after that others in a similar position appreciated or would have appreciated.

She is due to have radiotherapy and, probably, chemo after but I am keen to cheer her up after the op.

We haven't seen them for ages as they have been avoiding covid!

We have ordered the whole family a great big gooey chocolate cake for Easter which we hope she will be up to sampling.

Any help anyone please?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-Apr-22 15:17:48

Aromatherapy pillow spray and matching hand cream.
A meal delivered from local restaurant.
Pay for someone to do her ironing and cleaning for a few weeks.
A flower delivery subscription (Bloom & Wild are good)
Your time, love and understanding

kittylester Thu 07-Apr-22 15:24:28

Thank you gg.

Your first one is brilliant.

She has had so much food delivered that a friend has set up a rota.

She has a cleaner who does ironing.

And,I hope we do give her time, love and understanding - albeit via WhatsApp currently.

Kate1949 Thu 07-Apr-22 15:26:10

kitty All good wishes to your daughter. A friend bought someone a post op care pack, which has all sorts of pampering items for women after their surgery. Some are called 'chemo packs' which may not be appropriate for your daughter. If you Google 'post op care (or pampering) packs, I'm sure a lot will come up.

MissAdventure Thu 07-Apr-22 15:26:22

Wet wipes, a lovely fluffy dressing gown, magazines, moisturiser, dry shampoo.. some comfy new pjs.

AGAA4 Thu 07-Apr-22 15:30:16

The best gifts I had after my breast cancer op were visits from my family and friends. They all brought flowers, food or body lotions but just seeing them was enough.

I realise that with covid visits may not be sensible as someone recovering from an op is vulnerable.

CoolCoco Thu 07-Apr-22 15:32:06

My daughter loved this essential oils diffuser
www.neomorganics.com/collections/the-wellbeing-pod-mini
Neom have lots of lovely wellbeing products

PJs
audio books subscription

Kate1949 Thu 07-Apr-22 15:32:28

Amazon have a fair few things including special pillows etc.

J52 Thu 07-Apr-22 15:46:32

Hope all goes well. flowers
Their Nibs do lovely silky PJs for looking glam.

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Apr-22 15:52:58

A pamper pack with organic toiletries would be lovely kittylester
Neal's Yard toiletries are nice, especially the hand cream.

Flowers are lovely but if people brought me flowers when I was feeling under the weather my heart would sink as I'd then have to find a vase and arrange them etc when I couldn't be bothered.
DD did send me some once which were already arranged in water in a vase but I'm not sure where she ordered them from.

Perhaps some nice comfy pyjamas in soft cotton?

Wishing her all the very best X
?

silverlining48 Thu 07-Apr-22 15:58:36

I am sorry to hear your daughter will be going through this Kitty. When my dd was having her chemo I found a company online with some really lovely gift ideas. She has had bc treatment herself and wanted to offer more imaginative gifts that she would have liked. I only wish I could remember the name.
Will have a think.
Wishing your dd well x

silverlining48 Thu 07-Apr-22 16:06:37

Had a quick look online, there are lots of ideas there and think the one I used was ‘not another bunch of flowers.’ .

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-Apr-22 17:12:45

kittylester Neom have fabulous products, I wasn’t sure about naming them in my reply to you. They are all natural ingredients, myself and all the girls in our family are Neom addicts

They can be found on their own website or at larger M & S stores and John Lewis.

Sparklefizz Thu 07-Apr-22 17:17:31

What I really enjoyed after my mastectomy was 3 sessions of reflexology. It was so relaxing that it was a good thing I didn't have to drive home. Maybe you could find a mobile practitioner, or you could drive her to an appointment and wait for her.

Nanawind Thu 07-Apr-22 17:21:52

Camisoles, PJs and a cosy dressing gown. I found it difficult to sleep in a bra for the first few weeks.
But the most important thing was contact with family. Even if it was via zoom.

Sussexborn Thu 07-Apr-22 17:23:38

Someone gave my friend a plant pot filled with spring and summer bulbs positioned so that she could see it when she looked out of the window.

Lavender plants also look good and the scent is relaxing.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 07-Apr-22 17:26:46

When I had my breast cancer op I had a lumpectomy but still found bras difficult. I found tucked in my drawer some camisoles I’d bought ages ago and never worn! They did the trick. So, maybe some beautiful lacy camisoles.

Lucca Thu 07-Apr-22 17:28:01

My best wishes to your DD Kitty. I totally agree with some lovely pyjamas. I was given a chemo gift pack thing sent via internet but to be honest I did not really rate it! A lot of silly things like bath salts and a hot chocolate making stick. Far better to choose for yourself ! A spa day voucher ? Something lovely to wear ? Loungewear ?

vegansrock Thu 07-Apr-22 17:29:31

I bought a Neom diffuser when I saw / smelt one in a friends house the larger ceramic one you plug in , the mini one is rechargeable I just love to come into a room when mine is switched on. Really lifts your spirits.

vegansrock Thu 07-Apr-22 17:30:04

They aren’t cheap but worth it .

Lucca Thu 07-Apr-22 17:36:08

What a ridiculous sentence I wrote “ I totally agree with some lovely pyjamas”. So some lovely pyjamas said Boris is the worst PM in living memory and I agreed ?

Missed out “the suggestion to buy her…”

MissAdventure Thu 07-Apr-22 17:50:31

I've heard even the nighties don't like him..

Lucca Thu 07-Apr-22 17:51:51

The right bedsock loves him

kittylester Thu 07-Apr-22 17:51:54

Thank you lucca, that made me smile!! DD's pyjamas wouldn't dare like Boris either.

I'd forgotten about ' not another bunch of flowers' silverlinings. Thank you.

Thank you all. GN at it's best.

Blossoming Thu 07-Apr-22 17:52:00

A vote for Badger Lavender and Bergamot sleep balm here, also audiobooks.