Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Am I right to be upset?

(68 Posts)
Frufru Sun 01-May-22 20:33:40

I’m 58 and in the menopause. I’ve always had a tummy, even when I weighed a lot less than I do now!
Today my mother in law told me I looked pregnant in my son’s wedding photos! I’m a size 14 bottom and 16 top to accommodate my big boobies!
I can’t stop thinking how rude she is!

CoffeeFirst Sun 08-May-22 18:05:16

Blimey what a cheek! Totally uncalled for but I’d ignore it this time.

If it happens again, I’d definitely call her out on such rudeness.

TheodoraP Sun 08-May-22 18:27:54

Frufru Let's tell it like it is Your Mother in law is nasty

What a horrible thing to say.

I would give her a bit of her own medicine and highlight something of hers that's not so perfect see how she likes it

Trust me if you do it back to her she will stop being so nasty

A dose of ..your own medicine.. always works on such people

TheodoraP Sun 08-May-22 18:31:02

I like it Doodledog

if she says anything further you could suggest that you try to lose some weight if she tries to learn some manners.

TheodoraP Sun 08-May-22 18:36:01

Luv all the replys they are so spot on

We are fortunate to have eachother to talk to smile

lixy Sun 08-May-22 18:42:44

Oh Frufru that's a horrid thing to have said and so hard to forget - I'd be upset too, and would definitely call her out on it if she made such a hurtful comment again.
But can you park it in a mind-space for now so that it doesn't spoil your memories of the day? Easier said than done I know.

bevis Sat 18-Jun-22 04:37:55

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Sielha Sat 18-Jun-22 22:33:00

Oh how nasty and uncalled for! Maybe a bit of jealousy involved? Am sure you radiated happiness x

Beautful Sat 18-Jun-22 23:31:43

Mumofmadboys
Loved your comment
made me laugh ... no
doubt others too???

As hurtful as it seems , try to ignor her comment , hard I know . How nasty to say a thing like that ... proves what a nasty person she it ... my daughter would say ... if you have nothing nice to say don't say it ! Chin up just think of what 'Momofmadboys' put that should keep you chuckling, & if you say it to her let is know her reaction please !

Ali08 Wed 22-Jun-22 21:43:03

It is possible she thought you had gained some weight and was trying to mention it without being hurtful, but ended up being hurtful!
Maybe the outfit itself just made you look a bit bigger.
Is she normally a nasty person?

welbeck Wed 22-Jun-22 23:26:34

eh ? why mention it at all.
totally out of order.
bending over backwards there, Ali08, trying to make excuses for her.

MercuryQueen Thu 23-Jun-22 07:16:40

There’s no good reason to insult someone’s appearance.

TerriT Thu 23-Jun-22 07:57:41

Some people think it’s ok to say nasty things and if challenged make you feel as though your are sensitive,without a sense of humour etc. Their remarks come from pure jealousy of that you can be sure. As for the pregnant remark it would have been good to say ‘ if only that were possible but I’d need to have sex for that and that doesn’t seem possible unless I find a boyfriend’ !! But we can never think fast enough at the time!

TerriT Thu 23-Jun-22 08:07:33

There is saying that some people open their mouths before their brain engages and she may belong to that group!!!

Athrawes Thu 23-Jun-22 10:42:52

How horrid and upsetting. She sounds an unpleasant person, best ignored.

Ali08 Sun 26-Jun-22 03:16:42

welbeck

eh ? why mention it at all.
totally out of order.
bending over backwards there, Ali08, trying to make excuses for her.

Not at all. I just try to see things from both sides!

Ali08 Sun 26-Jun-22 03:20:34

Also, if OP is 58 how old is her MiL? Is she possibly in the early stages of dementia/Alzheimer's, as these could lead to someone seemingly suddenly turning nasty!!
I don't want to assume the MiL is just being nasty, it's possible she didn't realise how it would be taken!

Puzzled Sun 26-Jun-22 19:04:57

Size 14 bottom and Size 16 top sounds pretty good to me, not even chubby, let alone fat.
Ignore the green eyed monster on your M I L#s back

The important thing is if DH enjoys you. You dress or undress to please him.