Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Loo paper

(96 Posts)
pen50 Sun 08-May-22 11:11:35

TMI perhaps, but I find modern loo papers unsatisfactory because the surface layer disintegrates in use and leaves little crumbs of tissue behind. Not what I want sad! Is it just me and my strange body, or has anyone any recommendations for something which is less likely to do this? I used to like Kleenex Double Velvet but it doesn't seem to be made any more.

Oldnproud Sun 08-May-22 19:38:37

It's not just modern loo paper that is troublesome.
Some thirty years ago, I had an appt. at hospital for a procedure in the gynaecology department. While waiting to be seen, I nipped to the loo for a quick wee. It was only later, when I was back home, that I discovered that there were scraps of the hospital toilet paper still clinging to my girlie bits. blush

Juliet27 Sun 08-May-22 19:51:08

Anyone remember putting a sheet of Izal round a comb and blowing on it making it sound like a harmonica?

MargotLedbetter Sun 08-May-22 19:51:26

We find Who Gives a Crap bamboo loo paper good. 48 double, tightly-rolled loo rolls delivered to the door. I find it quite strong enough, though admittedly do use two or three thicknesses if there's plenty to clear up (IYKWIM). It's no quilted and it's quite plain, but then I'm not terribly keen on those thick quilted papers that seem to take a lot of flushing.

The company donates half their profits to building loos in parts of the world where they're desperately needed, enabling more people the privacy and dignity we take for granted. I know it's from Australia and I know the paper's made from Chinese bamboo offcuts, but on the upside there's no plastic packaging.

pinkprincess Sun 08-May-22 20:11:07

When I started my nursing training back in 1963 the hospital loo rolls where like IZAL, but had Government Property printed on every sheet, in case it got stolen!.
This paper never changed for ages, and when the soft variety we use now came in, patients were having it brought in from home, once they realised they only got the hard stuff.

Deedaa Sun 08-May-22 20:28:05

My father always insisted on Bronco. I've got no idea why he liked it so much, I thought it was awful. One of the best things about getting married was leaving home and being able to buy lovely soft toilet rolls.

Granmarderby10 Sun 08-May-22 21:38:27

I agree that the loo rolls are crumbly, I think this has been done to make them more flushable but it can be uncomfortable.

The sheets are definitely narrower too

Granmarderby10 Sun 08-May-22 21:43:11

Deedaa well mens “botty bits” are less complicated than womens…or maybe your father was a masochist ?

Audi10 Sun 08-May-22 21:43:18

Oh yes Juliet, forgot about that! Happy memories!

kjmpde Sun 08-May-22 21:53:42

i agree with the previous posting about bamboo toilet paper. 2 sheets instead of 3 . it appears more expensive but a you need less it is economical

grannyactivist Sun 08-May-22 22:04:11

I use Wype too Libman and find it does what it says on the tin. Great product.

mokryna Sun 08-May-22 22:06:14

When I get old and unable to reach certain parts I will definitely want a Japanese toilet water spray. I’ve started saving my money.

SueDonim Sun 08-May-22 22:11:32

A photo for you. This example recently made its way from my late MIL’s attic to my house. It’s obviously a survivor and I don’t feel I can throw it out after all these years. ?

Sloegin Sun 08-May-22 23:48:54

I buy our loo rolls in bulk from Traidcraft, the fair trade organisation. They're environmentally friendly, strong, and help support the work of Traidcraft, a Christian fair trade organisation working with all faiths and none in developing countries. Here's the link-
www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi_m7fD_dD3AhVBYeYKHcBiArgYABAAGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAASJeRoU4MGpUcPZ0SKNtj7XjJ6If3B5QAhbLJZJNpaG54OwIL_9gY&sig=AOD64_29rzkTh4il0C17vbYPzwTyQTyFiw&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiZjrHD_dD3AhUVUsAKHffnB1MQ0Qx6BAgGEAE

There's also the strangely named Who Gives a Crap loo rolls and they donate some of their profits to charity-
uk.whogivesacrap.org/products/recycled-3ply-toilet-paper?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=%7Bcampaignid%7D&utm_content=%7Badgroupid%7D&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=1763461102&utm_content=68409586546&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzryis_3Q9wIVQ7TtCh3yIgQLEAQYAiABEgL90_D_BwE

NanaAng14 Mon 09-May-22 06:56:37

I joined Gransnet a while ago and some of the chats are so interesting , but why oh why are some people so bitchy and nasty ?
It doesn't cost anything to be pleasant .

Lucca Mon 09-May-22 07:29:51

NanaAng14

I joined Gransnet a while ago and some of the chats are so interesting , but why oh why are some people so bitchy and nasty ?
It doesn't cost anything to be pleasant .

How is this comment related to the loo paper discussion ?!

NanaAng14 Mon 09-May-22 08:03:42

Blossoming

^Wonder how long it will take before someone posts about why this thread is intrusive/boring/unimportant given what’s happening in the world.^

Libman if that’s a dig at me I would only find it intrusive if you wanted to know how often I pooped.

Here' s an example.

FannyCornforth Mon 09-May-22 08:21:18

NanaAng that’s all been done and dusted now; or wiped and flushed.

Marmight Mon 09-May-22 08:39:13

DD3 uses Who Gives A Crap and persuaded me to invest in a box of 48. It’s horrendous. Its so thin you have to use 3x as much and half of it is left stuck to one’s nether regions. I consigned the box to the garage and returned to Aldi’s Aloe Vera Soft at half the price. The remaining 44 will be donated to DD. I and other DD/SiL take our own personal supplies when visiting ?
I well remember Izal, especially useful for tracing maps in geography homework and for its lack of effect on its primary use - yeugh

Nannagarra Mon 09-May-22 09:00:14

A long chain which I had struggled to reach, torn newspaper (supplemented by the tissue wrappers from individual pieces of fruit), a loud, resonating clang followed by a gush of water together with a degree of trepidation that I might fall down into the basin of my great aunt’s toilet - childhood memories, eh?
?

Yammy Mon 09-May-22 09:35:18

Nannagarra

A long chain which I had struggled to reach, torn newspaper (supplemented by the tissue wrappers from individual pieces of fruit), a loud, resonating clang followed by a gush of water together with a degree of trepidation that I might fall down into the basin of my great aunt’s toilet - childhood memories, eh?
?

I remember the tissue from pieces of fruit, my gran would not let us buy satsumas unless they had their tissue on. We found her personal stash instead of the dreaded newspaper squares.
Izal at home and I went on a school trip advised to take our own roll, I was mortified when my friends had the soft kind.We all swopped except dad he held on to the Izal.
It was good for tracing and making an instrument wrapped around a comb.
When older I stayed with friends who worked for the NHS and they always had "Monogrammed", loo paper.
I was advised by a plumber when we had trouble with drains never to use quilted as it does not flush easily and makes a pile at the bottom of the fall pipe and blocks the drains.
For all the Grans who think this is trivial, I asked him what was the most unusual thing he had ever retrieved from a blocked drain and was told a squashed melon. Answers on a sheet of Izal what that had been used to wipe.smile

Beanutz2115 Mon 09-May-22 09:39:08

Like!

Sloegin Mon 09-May-22 09:43:09

Marmight

DD3 uses Who Gives A Crap and persuaded me to invest in a box of 48. It’s horrendous. Its so thin you have to use 3x as much and half of it is left stuck to one’s nether regions. I consigned the box to the garage and returned to Aldi’s Aloe Vera Soft at half the price. The remaining 44 will be donated to DD. I and other DD/SiL take our own personal supplies when visiting ?
I well remember Izal, especially useful for tracing maps in geography homework and for its lack of effect on its primary use - yeugh

I agree it's not great quality. I tried it once but much prefer Traidcraft as an environmentally/ ethical choice. I've been buying it for 20 years and think it's very good. I'm a Traidcraft supporter anyway so also get tea,coffee etc from them. Free delivery over £50.

SueDonim Mon 09-May-22 12:10:21

How can transporting toilet paper halfway round the world in emissions-heavy ships be a good environmental choice?

Northerngirl28 Mon 09-May-22 12:18:42

Iceland Petalsoft, 3 ply. My Dad swore by it and he was right. Good luck.

LauraMeredith Mon 09-May-22 12:28:59

Thank goodness I live in a mainly Muslim country so have the washer tap on the toilet. So much more hygienic than wiping around with paper of any sort. Just a quick pat dry and off we go!