Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Loo paper

(96 Posts)
pen50 Sun 08-May-22 11:11:35

TMI perhaps, but I find modern loo papers unsatisfactory because the surface layer disintegrates in use and leaves little crumbs of tissue behind. Not what I want sad! Is it just me and my strange body, or has anyone any recommendations for something which is less likely to do this? I used to like Kleenex Double Velvet but it doesn't seem to be made any more.

pooohbear2811 Mon 09-May-22 12:35:03

I can second cheeky panda, never bought anything else since trying it last year. It has more sheets per roll and a smaller centre than others.
I did spot one called naked sprout the other day, which is creamy coloured rather than white bamboo paper, not yet looked at CP to see if it bleaches to get white but will do before I but more.
I remember the Izal as a kid, wonder how it never blocked the drains as there is no way it disintegrated as it flushed.
My paternal grandparents had an outside loo and so kept loo roll in the kitchen and if you were going to the loo you had to ask for paper. You got 1 square for a pee and 2 for a no.2 Not sure how we did manage.
You can also buy "wet toilet paper" a flushable type of wet wipe that cleaned and refreshed better than just toilet roll alone and does not cause problems like baby wipes do.

Davida1968 Mon 09-May-22 12:39:27

I can't agree with Marmight's views about the "Who Gives A Crap" loo paper. DH & I find that it's perfectly OK. (Which is all that we need from our loo roll!) We buy it in bulk, it's delivered to our door, and we don't run out of it. (Also we use their kitchen rolls.) It's good to think that by buying this product, we're helping people who are less fortunate than ourselves. Everything in the world seems so stressful at the moment; we just keep trying to be helpful to the environment & to others, in any (however small) ways that may make a positive difference.

kevincharley Mon 09-May-22 12:44:33

ninathenana

Cushelle is the best I've tried. It dosen't disintegrate

Agreed.
Did my own product test a while ago and Cushelle came out far better than any other.
Also like their big rolls which are more like the size that standard rolls used to be. I remember my mother buying a two roll pack that lasted a family of four all week.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 09-May-22 12:45:30

Oh yes, I remember the humiliation of having to go up to the teacher to ask for toilet paper when you needed the loo. And being asked what you were going to do, so that the appropriate ration of paper was handed over. This actually led to me developing a real phobia about using loos away from home which took years to get over as an adult.

LisaP Mon 09-May-22 12:45:56

I use Who Gives a Crap and I highly recommend it.

Paperbackwriter Mon 09-May-22 12:51:20

Shinamae

Any one remember the Bronco toilet paper, more like greaseproof paper ?

Oh lord yes - its best use (for me) was as tracing paper for geography homework!

LovelyLady Mon 09-May-22 12:52:55

Thank you for this post. Thought it was just me. It’s good to hear others solutions.
Please don’t stop sending these types of questions.

hollysteers Mon 09-May-22 12:58:33

I was amused to read that the Queen Mother used Izal hard loo paper, in a wooden container, until her dying days.

welbeck Mon 09-May-22 13:06:54

www.metrorod.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Toilet-paper-disolved-in-water.htm

Theoddbird Mon 09-May-22 13:10:36

I use a supermarket recycled paper....works fine smile

HannahLoisLuke Mon 09-May-22 13:26:47

pooohbear2811

I can second cheeky panda, never bought anything else since trying it last year. It has more sheets per roll and a smaller centre than others.
I did spot one called naked sprout the other day, which is creamy coloured rather than white bamboo paper, not yet looked at CP to see if it bleaches to get white but will do before I but more.
I remember the Izal as a kid, wonder how it never blocked the drains as there is no way it disintegrated as it flushed.
My paternal grandparents had an outside loo and so kept loo roll in the kitchen and if you were going to the loo you had to ask for paper. You got 1 square for a pee and 2 for a no.2 Not sure how we did manage.
You can also buy "wet toilet paper" a flushable type of wet wipe that cleaned and refreshed better than just toilet roll alone and does not cause problems like baby wipes do.

The moist toilet tissue that is supposed to be flushable isn’t, according to a chap from Thames Water who talked extensively on this subject on Jeremy Vine a few years ago.
He recommended using something like Freshu which you squirt onto you loo papet and gives the same result. There are other brands around now. I find a product called Senset is the best value at £9.99 for three large cans. It is an aerosol though so that’s not in its favour.
I agree about modern tissue shredding. I thought it was just the recycled paper that did this but it seems they all do.

Elrel Mon 09-May-22 13:46:37

My mother also kept the soft paper wrapping from fruit or crumpled the hard paper before use. grandmother, born in the 1880s, really disliked soft loo roll. We kept a roll of Bronco for her.
One thing I miss is the efficiency of those old overhead cisterns with long metal chains. It was rare to have to flush more than once, unlike many loos nowadays.
My introduction to London schools, 1960, was seeing a child running across the playground to the roofless lavatories, a banner of paper streaming across their shoulder.

Twopence Mon 09-May-22 13:55:48

I remember Bronco and Izal. I also remember working for the NHS in the 60s and each sheet in the roll had "Government Propery" printed on it!

Yammy Mon 09-May-22 14:36:44

Lucca

NanaAng14

I joined Gransnet a while ago and some of the chats are so interesting , but why oh why are some people so bitchy and nasty ?
It doesn't cost anything to be pleasant .

How is this comment related to the loo paper discussion ?!

This is what a lot on here are like NanaAng.
Lucca has just answered you in the way you were asking people not to. Try the site about devolved nations within the U.K. You'll find a lot more examples.flowers

alastairlyon Mon 09-May-22 14:59:11

And i recall one election year the school ran mock elections but we had to invent our own parties and issues.

I cannot remember the name of our mock party but the campaign issues were

Home rule for Yorkshire

and ......... back to the thread

Smoother seats and softer paper

HiMay Mon 09-May-22 15:35:34

School paper was nicknamed “slip and slide”. ?

sandelf Mon 09-May-22 15:41:22

Been buying these in 4s at 'Burys for £2.75 - they are the best - bigger sheets than down market and just Better quality so you actually use less. But now I've seen this price!!! I'm buying online. supamart.co.uk/products/45-rolls-regina-chamomile-aroma-core-flower-scented-toilet-tissue-160-sheets-per?variant=41951024218274¤cy=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2022-03-22&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-KTBhBcEiwAr19ig3L8FoFvwBJ9KekZOgONa_yZ59I5BcvE83QldpIhmDSmbTa6JGOhDBoCe6QQAvD_BwE

Daisend1 Mon 09-May-22 15:48:31

Can't be doing with scratchy loo rolls and will travel five miles to my nearest Aldi to buy Saxon Premium .When you 'gotta' go then at least have comfort during the process..

NoddingGanGan Mon 09-May-22 16:11:52

Who Gives a Crap. Google it.

mistymitts Mon 09-May-22 16:29:12

Aldi, the four ply, one is cheaper than most and the strongest and thickest I have found.

Nanna58 Mon 09-May-22 17:29:20

Modern toilet papers- quilted, aloe vera, coconut oil infused ........ we probably have ok skin on our behinds despite the Izal, Bronco , newspaper squares. Today’s ‘yooof’ who use the former should grow up with silky soft rears !! ?

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 09-May-22 17:38:29

I’m perfectly happy with Who Gives a Crap. It’s less likely to block the loo.

Visgir1 Mon 09-May-22 17:47:12

Who gives a crap..I'm a fan

Just x2-3 boxes a year covers our needs as just 2 of us now, but we have x4 Loo's.

Seabreeze Mon 09-May-22 20:18:44

Aldi toilet paper doesn’t crumb and is good value for money. Wipes aren’t meant to be put down the toilet are they ?

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 09-May-22 20:27:15

Another vote for who gives a crap.