Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Loo paper

(96 Posts)
pen50 Sun 08-May-22 11:11:35

TMI perhaps, but I find modern loo papers unsatisfactory because the surface layer disintegrates in use and leaves little crumbs of tissue behind. Not what I want sad! Is it just me and my strange body, or has anyone any recommendations for something which is less likely to do this? I used to like Kleenex Double Velvet but it doesn't seem to be made any more.

catladyuk Mon 09-May-22 20:29:02

Wheniwasyourage

Cheeky Panda bamboo toilet paper is quite soft and doesn't disintegrate like some other kinds. Before anyone points out that it is made in China, I know that, but it is made from waste bits of bamboo, which is grows fast and is therefore more quickly renewable than wood. Because it's strong, you don't use as much as you need with the disintegrating kinds. (Other brands are available smile)

made from waste bamboo it may be, but hardly environmentally or ecologically friendly though is it coming from the other side of the world!

Stacey007 Mon 09-May-22 20:30:46

Hiya I have been looking for suitable toilet paper too.
I completely agree modern toilet paper is a bl*ody nuisance!! Someone in a previous comment mentioned little crumbs of tissue on the toilet seat, well unfortunately that’s not been my worst problem with modern toilet paper,; without beating about the bush,? imagine having those little crumbs of toilet paper sticking to your lady bits?‍♀️??☹️?‍♀️
It’s so annoying, so embarrassing and so sodding uncomfortable?
It’s all well and good making toilet paper that disintegrates when it touches liquid but our lady bits need considering too because as soon as the paper touches my lady bits after a pee, it does just that, and disintegrates sticking to my lady bits.
I’m on with Andrex classic clean at the moment and that seems pretty good; not quite as dry as some of the loo papers and fortunately doesn’t seem to stick to your lady’s bits, but that said, I’ve noticed that batch to batch, week to week the same paper can differ. ☹️?

Kathmaggie Mon 09-May-22 21:05:17

Ah yes, san Izal - when visiting Grandma I would often use it for tracing paper ! I can smell it now ?

GraceQuirrel Mon 09-May-22 21:50:30

Bamboo based loo paper from Amazon. Eco friendly and as good as top brands made from trees.

suelld Mon 09-May-22 21:54:48

I have kidney/ toilet problems and use flushable/biodegradable wet wipes - expensive but for me essential and well worth the money!

Lilyflower Mon 09-May-22 22:09:55

For those of you who, like me, dislike the horrible modern, embossed loo rolls, you can still buy the flat, soft, strong stuff. It is Waitrose Essential and very reasonably priced compared with the so-called luxury brands.

suelld Mon 09-May-22 22:12:21

TOILET wet wipes

welbeck Mon 09-May-22 22:37:28

the water companies and drainage engineers all say there are no flushable wipes, whatever the product claims.
why not put them in a pedal bin, maybe wrapped in toilet paper, if they are really needed.

welbeck Mon 09-May-22 22:39:09

or purchase Clinisan and spray on to toilet paper.
it cleanses excellently and very gentle on the skin.

icanhandthemback Mon 09-May-22 22:50:20

We've got one of these waiting to be fitted. We had one for my grandad who had dementia and it was an absolute life saver:

unifloproducts.co.uk/product/uniflo-intelligent-electric-bidet-wash-dry-toilet-seat-u100b510/

lemsip Mon 09-May-22 22:55:13

I use Skin Therapy Flushable Toilet Tissue wipes

harrigran Mon 09-May-22 23:19:02

Another fan of Aldi loo rolls.
Even if wipes are flushable you should not put them in the loo, we have had warning letters about blocked sewers. We have been told they can pinpoint culprits and will be invoiced for the work involved to clear the drains.

crazyH Mon 09-May-22 23:32:19

harrigran how can they pinpoint the culprits? I’m intrigued …….

MissAdventure Mon 09-May-22 23:33:22

I expect they sniff them out.

Youngatheart51 Mon 09-May-22 23:59:10

@libman where can I get wype?
The only toilet roll my husband will use is Cushelle quilted. Won't tell you why! ? ? ?

crazyH Tue 10-May-22 00:09:12

Miss A ?

GrauntyHelen Tue 10-May-22 13:19:49

Nikki toilet roll doesn't give me this problem

Lucca Tue 10-May-22 13:23:10

Young at heart. You have to buy it online just google wype

Nanna58 Tue 10-May-22 13:40:19

Youngatheart51 - he thinks he’s going to get a Koala with it? ?

Franbern Thu 12-May-22 08:29:39

It really is about time, that new loos in this country were all fitted with an extra tap for flushing our nether regions and we could start to cut down on using loo rolls of any sort.

I can remember (back when coloured bathroom suties were the craze), that walking along a supermarket loo roll aisle was like walking through a rainbow. Now (rather like the Ford cars of the 30's) we have a choice of white or white or white.

There are several companies now with eco credentials that sell loo paper, but all of them do require the customer to have room for storage, as these are sold in multiples. Do find the individual wrapping of each roll by 'Who Gives a Crap' rather strange. Other companies do not do that.

I find myself wondering about those people who stockpiles thousands of rolls back in March/April 2020 - it they are still going through that cache!!